GTX 1060 leak (TAKE WITH A TRUCKLOAD OF SALT)

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

So yes?

yes, but one thing is to put % on a GTX1080 price and quite another to 250-300$ MSRP

interestingly, custom GTX1070s are slightly cheaper (~30$) than FE - but not currently in stock

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

yes, but one thing is to put % on a GTX1080 price and quite another to 250-300$ MSRP

Fair enough. But I'll still bet that the 1060 will cost like $450 where you live.

Fair enough. But I'll still bet that the 1060 will cost like $450 where you live.

it's about same thing in whole EU zone; 450? more like 350-400, I'd bet - this greatly depends on what price nVidia will put on it

and I'm totally expecting them to pull the same FE / MSRP bullcrap they did with 1080 and 1070 - or maybe they learned ... wishful thinking

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it's about same thing in whole EU zone; 450? more like 350-400, I'd bet - this greatly depends on what price nVidia will put on it

and I'm totally expecting them to pull the same FE / MSRP bullcrap they did with 1080 and 1070

I think everyone does. They're the Apple of video cards.

1 minute ago, Knaj said:

Yeah but how can we believe this if nvidia also said the "1080 was the performance of two 980's in sli"

Uh, isn't that true technically?

18 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

With 980s? No, pretty sure that was true.

it was verified by a number of reviewers with stock 1080, at least in a number of games. Not always, but generally speaking its true +/- a few %.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If AMD don't get their shit sorted out with their OpenGL performance, I won't think twice about getting this over the RX 480.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

1 minute ago, DPersonalized said:

If AMD don't get their shit sorted out with their OpenGL performance, I won't think twice about getting this over the RX 480.

Usually they do, give it about 3 weeks or so.

Usually they do, give it about 3 weeks or so.

It's been terrible for years, though.

And probably the world.

3 minutes ago, DPersonalized said:

It's been terrible for years, though.

So has pollution and global warming. And the size of the US deficit. Your point? You could be waiting millennium for something that sucks to get better.

40 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

AMD didn't "fuck up" any pricing. AMD does not sell the cards. It's called a "Manufacturer SUGGESTED Retail Price," not a "we will sell it for this much- price." I'm just guessing- but maybe it's just 'cause it's much more expensive to be a vendor in Sweden (kinda like it is in Australia) compared to North America. That bumps up the price quite a bit.

Well it's either AMD or their European distributor increasing the prices, because:

1) Other cards do not have the same price disparity. Neither Nvidia's nor AMD's other cards.

2) It is expensive all over Europe, not just Sweden.

3) They are in stock everywhere so it's not a supply and demand issue.

If it was things like taxes that increased the price then it would affect all cards, but it's only the RX 480 that's affected.

My last Nvidia card was the 8500 GT. It will feel weird leading team red, but at this point I am almost certain I will go for the GTX 1060. Just don't screw this up Nvidia...

19 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

So has pollution and global warming. And the size of the US deficit. Your point? You could be waiting millennium for something that sucks to get better.

Uhh, aren't you the one who said to "give it about 3 weeks or so"?

And probably the world.

2 minutes ago, DPersonalized said:

Uhh, aren't you the one who said to "give it about 3 weeks or so"?

Yeah. Keyword could. If your talking about why things can't just be good at launch, no clue.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well it's either AMD or their European distributor increasing the prices, because:

1) Other cards do not have the same price disparity. Neither Nvidia's nor AMD's other cards.

If it was things like taxes that increased the price then it would affect all cards, but it's only the RX 480 that's affected.

AMD sells the cards to third-party manufacturers (yes, even the reference model, unlike the Founders Edition cards from nVidia's website.) Companies like XFX, Sapphire, Gigabyte, Powercolor ect are the people that affect pricing. AMD does not control the price of the GPU's shipped to Europe, the other companies do.

I used to be quite active here.

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

yeah they're definitely keeping them in stock now.

Spoiler

back in stock.png

It's a joke, its ok to laugh

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

AMD sells the cards to third-party manufacturers (yes, even the reference model, unlike the Founders Edition cards from nVidia's website.) Companies like XFX, Sapphire, Gigabyte, Powercolor ect are the people that affect pricing. AMD does not control the price of the GPU's shipped to Europe, the other companies do.

Or maybe that shop that sells them increases their price to gain bigger profit.

For example: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G sells (here in Slovakia) between 300~430 €. Across about 35 eshops that sells them you have ~130 € difference.

And so far the same is with RX 480. Sapphire Radeon RX 480: 270~295 € (between that few shops that have it). So far lowers price for RX 480 is ~270 €, highest ~330 €.

i hope the 1060 beats the rx480 for around the same price, i want to try an nvidia card for my next build and this would be the sweet spot

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

21 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

You can't just shift all the blame away from AMD. We don't know where the blame should go since there are multiple parties involved, but AMD is most certainly a suspect.

That's why I said "AMD or their European distributor". It can't be all the brands (like Sapphire, XFX, Asus etc) because that would mean a cartel was in place, which is illegal (and taken VERY seriously).

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

yeah they're definitely keeping them in stock now.

Reveal hidden contents

back in stock.png

It's a joke, its ok to laugh

What is it with AMD people and not having basic reading comprehension skills? I was talking about Swedish stores.

9 minutes ago, Funtoink63 said:

Or maybe that shop that sells them increases their price to gain bigger profit.

No. Read my post again. I explain why that is a very illogical conclusion. We see the very similar prices across multiple countries, multiple stores and multiple currencies.

There are only 2 logical explanations for it.

1) All the manufacturers (like Sapphire and XFX) are running an illegal cartel and are risking being sued back to the stone age.

2) Some company higher up (AMD or their distributor) are inflating the price in Europe.

With a bit of luck we won't see the same happen with the GTX 1060.

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You can't just shift all the blame away from AMD. We don't know where the blame should go since there are multiple parties involved, but AMD is most certainly a suspect.

That's why I said "AMD or their European distributor". It can't be all the brands (like Sapphire, XFX, Asus etc) because that would mean a cartel was in place, which is illegal (and taken VERY seriously).

AMD sells cards and GPU's to those brands. REMEMBER? AMD distributes to the companies I listed (and more.) They set the MSRP of $199 USD and $229 USD for their 4GB and 8GB cards respectively. The companies like Gigabyte, Powercolor ect distribute cards to Europe, not AMD. AMD does not control the price. AMD doesn't sell the vendors cards for more money just because they're being shipped to the EU. The prices are high in the EU as they always seem to be. It's not a cartel, it's not AMD's fault, and it may not even be the card vendor's faults. 

I used to be quite active here.

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What is it with AMD people and not having basic reading comprehension skills? I was talking about Swedish stores.

oh the irony.

19 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

The prices are high in the EU as they always seem to be. It's not a cartel, it's not AMD's fault, and it may not even be the card vendor's faults. 

I don't think you understand the current pricing situation. It is ONLY the RX 480 affected. The price disparity it out of this world. It is not at all the same with the GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 from what I have seen (checked a few different countries).

There is something fishy going on with the RX 480. I don't know who to blame but it is not just the regular "well EU prices is higher".

For comparison:

GTX 1070:

Price in the US: 450 dollars

Price in Sweden: 4600 SEK

RX 480:

Price in the US: 240 dollars

Price in Sweden: 3000 SEK

GTX 970:

Price in the US: 270 dollars

Price in Sweden: 2700 SEK

R9 390X:

Price in the US: 310 dollars

Price in Sweden: 3200 SEK

GTX 1080:

Price in the US: 700 dollars

Price in Sweden: 7100 SEK

Notice any pattern and abnormality?

We usually go 1 USD = 10 SEK and that accounts for VAT, import taxes and all other expenses that affects the price. The RX 480 costs about 25% more than it should, and it seems to be the same all across Europe. In fact, that carries over to all PC components. Another example would be the 500GB Samsung 850 Evo. 1400 SEK vs 155 USD.

If it is like you are saying, that it's Sapphire, XFX and the rest of the companies rebranding the cards that increase the price, then there must be a cartel since they all cost the same. There is no way all of them individually decided to overprice the RX 480 by exactly 25%, and none of them feel like lowering their price a tiny bit and get a huge boost in sales. The same for individual stores.