What is the truth abut AMD CPUs

Ok I have to ask the minds of Linus Tech Tips because this debate has come up far too many times and I still don't really have a definitive answer. I am an electromechanical (electrical and mechanical) engineer and all of the physics behind heat and power would lead anyone to believe that since AMD CPUs draw more power than an Intel CPU then in theory AMD CPUs should be hotter and would require better cooling solutions over comparable Intel chips. Now, I've heard that AMD chips have better heat transfer over Intel which would make cooling a bit easier, but I've also been told that this is a TOTAL MYTH and that it's actually the MOBO that draws all the heat (if there is increased heat). I need the science and tech explanation on the truth, and please no arguing, just facts.

Thank you all for your time :D

They use more power and make more heat(depending on model, there normally not that much worse). THey don't have a higher temp as there stock coolers are better.

They like to combine GPU cores with CPU cores. So on paper it looks nice.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, Gbuddai said:

Ok I have to ask the minds of Linus Tech Tips because this debate has come up far too many times and I still don't really have a definitive answer. I am an electromechanical (electrical and mechanical) engineer and all of the physics behind heat and power would lead anyone to believe that since AMD CPUs draw more power than an Intel CPU then in theory AMD CPUs should be hotter and would require better cooling solutions over comparable Intel chips. Now, I've heard that AMD chips have better heat transfer over Intel which would make cooling a bit easier, but I've also been told that this is a TOTAL MYTH and that it's actually the MOBO that draws all the heat (if there is increased heat). I need the science and tech explanation on the truth, and please no arguing, just facts.

If you're an electrical engineer then shouldn't you know this?

9 minutes ago, Gbuddai said:

AMD CPUs are soldered directly to the heat spreader thus the heat transfer is much better than Intel CPUs which use TIM. Simple really.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

AMD's desktop line of cpus have more surface area than Intel's so heat is more easily transferred to whatever cooling solution you're using. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 minutes ago, Gbuddai said:

basically this 

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

AMD CPUs are soldered directly to the heat spreader thus the heat transfer is much better than Intel CPUs which use TIM. Simple really.

I had to delid my 4790k to make it not go over 100 celcius under average gaming load on an H100. now temps are around 50 celcius. Intel is cheap as fuq but charge a premium.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

5 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

If you're an electrical engineer then shouldn't you know this?

Just because I am an electrical engineer doesn't mean I know everything. There are many aspects to any single engineering field and this is a topic that I hadn't thought much about until recently. Being an engineer doesn't mean you have all of the knowledge, it means you know how to use the knowledge you already have and are able to learn and understand topics and subjects in your field.

You bring up a point I wonder if this might be an answer to. I've noticed that when overclocking and stress testing any chip putting a fan on the back of the motherboard can drop the temperature of the cores considerably. I wonder since gold is such a good conductor of electricity and heat if the fact that AMD CPU's pins act as a heatsink transferring the heat into the board away from the silicon chip. Can anyone argue this?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You bring up a point I wonder if this might be an answer to. I've noticed that when overclocking and stress testing any chip putting a fan on the back of the motherboard can drop the temperature of the cores considerably. I wonder since gold is such a good conductor of electricity and heat if the fact that AMD CPU's pins act as a heatsink transferring the heat into the board away from the silicon chip. Can anyone argue this?

Now that is an interesting concept! You have my attention sir. If the laws of thermodynamics apply and AMD's pins are made of a highly conductive metal, then theoretically you if you could find a way to cool those pins then you could very easily cool a CPU very well. How would one attach a fan to the back of a motherboard?

26 minutes ago, Gbuddai said:

Asus old motherboards will have a extra under layer that reduces temps.

438824009_98e7aa4a43_b.jpg

And here's something to read about

http://www.overclock.net/t/977069/experiment-installing-a-fan-under-the-processor-update-may-5th-aftermarket-cooling

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

But in reality, all of that metal is coated in insulating PCB. Not to mention the motherboard doesn't have as much area as a basic heat sink and airflow isn't exactly all that plentiful over the area of the motherboard.

17 minutes ago, Cryptonite said:

basically this 

I had to delid my 4790k to make it not go over 100 celcius under average gaming load on an H100. now temps are around 50 celcius. Intel is cheap as fuq but charge a premium.

Something must've been wrong for that to happen...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, Gbuddai said:

Now that is an interesting concept! You have my attention sir. If the laws of thermodynamics apply and AMD's pins are made of a highly conductive metal, then theoretically you if you could find a way to cool those pins then you could very easily cool a CPU very well. How would one attach a fan to the back of a motherboard?

Some computer cases come with a fan mount on the back panel along with a cutout on the motherboard tray allowing for the fan to blow cool air directly onto the back of the board. Since the PCB behind the CPU socket is so densely populated with gold & copper cooling the front and back of it can considerably drop the core temperature while under load. Just like how some mosfets are soldered to the PCB not just via the electrical conductors but the entire back of the chip it uses the motherboard as a cooling plain. The individual pins operate in a similar fashion transferring heat into the board away from the CPU. So in a sense it's passive cooling on top of whatever cooler you have attached to the top of the chip. Intel chips can't do this as effectively because they're flat and they don't make 100% perfect contact with the pins in the board and they suffer because of that...in theory...

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Something must've been wrong for that to happen...

that's how I got it, I give a damn if there had to be something wrong for that to happen, it wouldn't have happened if they didn't cheap out on the heat spreader.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But in reality, all of that metal is coated in insulating PCB. Not to mention the motherboard doesn't have as much area as a basic heat sink and airflow isn't exactly all that plentiful over the area of the motherboard.

True one a dense area heats up the CPU will simply begin to rise again but if the heat can be moved fast enough the board will act to keep the CPU cool as well. I'm also willing to bet CPU architecture plays a roll in why they don't run as hot. If Intel chips are more dense (transistors and other conductors) they can't move heat away as quickly. Agree or disagree?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

True one a dense area heats up the CPU will simply begin to rise again but if the heat can be moved fast enough the board will act to keep the CPU cool as well. I'm also willing to bet CPU architecture plays a roll in why they don't run as hot. If Intel chips are more dense (transistors and other conductors) they can't move heat away as quickly. Agree or disagree?

I would say that makes sense to me. It's harder to move a larger mass of heat on single pints than a fewer density of those heated pints.