Starting to regret buying a dark rock Pro 3

HeyYouOK?

The cooler itself kicks alot of ass...

but installing this thing was an absolute nightmare. had to remove the plastic gigabyte shielding off the z170 gaming 7 boards and the metal thingy above the processor just to have headway to tighten the bolts, all in all a process that too about an hour and a half to complete...

I made the assumption that since the dark rock 3 wasnt so hard to install this wouldnt be either, how wrong i was.

i dread having to removing this thing in the even of reapplying thermal compound in the future. i think ill go for an AIO cooler in the future.

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170 G1 GamingCPU: i7 6700k-GPU:ZOTAC 1070 AMP! EDITION-PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750 80G RAM: 16GB G. SKILLS RIPJAWS Z 2100STORAGE: 500gb SAMSUNG EVO SSD; WD BLACK 1TB- CPU COOLER: BE QUIET DARK ROCK  PRO 3 190W TDP.

Be Quiet! just hates mainstream boards it seems, installing my Dark Rock 3 on my old Z87 board was a pain, but reinstalling it on my X99 board was pretty simple except that it blocks a DIMM slot.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Well did you ask on here if it was compatible or check their compatibility charts?.... I mean, if you didn't do your homework how can you complain... just sayin not trying to be a dick.

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

Yea, mounting is terrible. The one on my Dark Rock Pro 2 is better though... I don't like to remove my cooler because it still takes me over half an hour to mount it back.

yea the drp3 blocks 2 of mines, granted i dont see myself needing it atm, but in the off chance that i do...its not gonna be fun at all to take it off.

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170 G1 GamingCPU: i7 6700k-GPU:ZOTAC 1070 AMP! EDITION-PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750 80G RAM: 16GB G. SKILLS RIPJAWS Z 2100STORAGE: 500gb SAMSUNG EVO SSD; WD BLACK 1TB- CPU COOLER: BE QUIET DARK ROCK  PRO 3 190W TDP.

Get a CM212 Evo next time.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 hours ago, CeremonialSnips said:

Well did you ask on here if it was compatible or check their compatibility charts?.... I mean, if you didn't do your homework how can you complain... just sayin not trying to be a dick.

it is compatible. dont see why it wouldnt, it was just an absolute pain to install. PC part picker gave no indication of install troubles so how was i to know what nightmare i was jumping in to lol

1 minute ago, HeyYouOK? said:

it is compatible. dont see why it wouldnt, it was just an absolute pain to install. PC part picker gave no indication of install troubles so how was i to know what nightmare i was jumping in to lol

Bro, when you need to remove your mobo io shroud and it takes a hour and a half... I would call it incompatible, I never trust PC Part Picker for compatibility....

The Black Friday Rig: 

**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

8 minutes ago, CeremonialSnips said:

It is compatible, but he's saying its just a pain in the ass to install

Bro, when you need to remove your mobo io shroud and it takes a hour and a half... I would call it incompatible, I never trust PC Part Picker for compatibility....

true, 

but i would rather not come here with every little question. this was my own hubris and brand loyalty getting to me since the dark rock line has been fairly good to me so far.

1 minute ago, HeyYouOK? said:

true, 

but i would rather not come here with every little question. this was my own hubris and brand loyalty getting to me since the dark rock line has been fairly good to me so far.

I would not be afraid to ask, people here are usually good for random little questions about stuff like this... sure you'll get people who will just google and say it is "compatible" but you may have also gotten actual advice from someone who has attempted the same mobo/cooler combo.... next time don't hesitate, it is what this and other pc forums are meant for.

The Black Friday Rig: 

I don't get the whole thing with people having trouble with installing DRP3, I installed it alone when I was assembling a rig that used an ASRock X99 Killer motherboard and it took me like <10 minutes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Should have watched linus video one the thing. The video made it pretty clear be quiet did a garbage job on the mounting design?

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I don't get the whole thing with people having trouble with installing DRP3, I installed it alone when I was assembling a rig that used an ASRock X99 Killer motherboard and it took me like <10 minutes.

Mounting process is completely different between LGA2011 and LGA115X. It's pretty simple on 2011, but on basically every other board? I'd rather just buy a new cooler.

I even remember having to use a couple of my own washers to mount on an Z87 board because it just wouldn't sit right.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Should have watched linus video one the thing. The video made it pretty clear be quiet did a garbage job on the mounting design?

The video was basically luke saying his phat fingers didn't fit in the small hole. 

Every large cooler will be hard to mount, with using proper tools instead of that garbage that comes in the box, it's not that hard of a job.

Lol you telling people to go get another tool to mount something they paid huge sums of money for?

Yaa no ty. Ill go to the product next to it.(noctua)

I would not be afraid to ask, people here are usually good for random little questions about stuff like this... sure you'll get people who will just google and say it is "compatible" but you may have also gotten actual advice from someone who has attempted the same mobo/cooler combo.... next time don't hesitate, it is what this and other pc forums are meant for.

will definitely do next time.

15 hours ago, maremp said:

The video was basically luke saying his phat fingers didn't fit in the small hole. 

Every large cooler will be hard to mount, with using proper tools instead of that garbage that comes in the box, it's not that hard of a job.

which is what i had to do. got some small tweezers and pliers just to get the washers to sit right on the points...that little wrench was utter trash.

1 hour ago, HeyYouOK? said:

BeQuiet! doesn't have friendly mounting hardware.

1 hour ago, maremp said:

Check out Noctua or Cryorig's mounting hardware. They're very easy to work with even with their largest coolers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, CeremonialSnips said:

Clearly you have never seen, let alone installed, a beQuiet cooler.

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Get a CM212 Evo next time.

Pour some gasoline on your CPU while you're at it. If someone's overclocking to the point that they need a DRP3, an EVO, H7, whatever is not going to come close to cutting it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Pour some gasoline on your CPU while you're at it. If someone's overclocking to the point that they need a DRP3, an EVO, H7, whatever is not going to come close to cutting it.

Well then, if that was the case my OC xeon would have melted a long time ago, but it didn't.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 6/22/2016 at 1:54 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Check out Noctua or Cryorig's mounting hardware. They're very easy to work with even with their largest coolers.

Not as easy as smaller form factors or aios. I am currently making a build using D15 and I agree that it's not rocket surgery, but if you're a type of person who can't follow basic instructions, it can be annoying. 

3 hours ago, maremp said:

Not as easy as smaller form factors or aios. I am currently making a build using D15 and I agree that it's not rocket surgery, but if you're a type of person who can't follow basic instructions, it can be annoying. 

Aside from AMD stock clips and something that uses plastic inserts like the intel stock cooler, how is any aio or small form factor installation easier? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Aside from AMD stock clips and something that uses plastic inserts like the intel stock cooler, how is any aio or small form factor installation easier? 

Easier access to mount. Be quiet really failed at that.