Why is AMD releasing the RX series so cheap?

c00face
24 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Some of these comments are indicative of how Nvidia gets away with gouging the consumer market.

AMD has done, and would probably do the same if they were on top.

All about the bad consumers.

It's amazing the amount of nonsensical responses this got.

@Supermangik, @JefferyD90has the right answer. It's just economics. The price of a GPU has nothing to do with it's performance, but rather it's production cost. Since we're on a smaller node this generation, you can fit more performance into a smaller surface area as you can see with the 314mm2 GTX 1080 vs the 601mm2 980 ti. The smaller the chip, the cheaper it is to produce. Polaris 10 is only 232mm2. Has nothing to do with using cheap parts or whether Nvidia is crushing AMD in the wet dreams of some of the morons who responded.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Also, Nvidia is price gouging as usual and idiots are lapping it up.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Also, Nvidia is price gouging as usual and idiots are lapping it up.

How sure are you it's Nvidia and not the supply channel partners and/or retailers just making an opportunistic buck?

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

1 minute ago, GidonsClaw said:

How sure are you it's Nvidia and not the supply channel partners and/or retailers just making an opportunistic buck?

Because, even without the Fanboy Edition and price going up because of supply and demand, a 314mm2 chip does not cost $550 nor does it 25% cut down cost $379.

I dont get it. Are you dumb? Every year new phones come out does the price of the phones increase every single year or does it stay the same? If it increased every year phones would cost 5000$ by now, yet they dont. Why would a 480 be more expensive than when a 380 came out? They are the same product category so they should  be the same price. I can bet you ill be buying a gtx 1070 when it hits the 330msrp of the gtx 970 its the same product category i dont wanna pay more for the same style of product.... when amd launches its 490 and 490x watch the 1070 and 1080 get price drop

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Because, even without the Fanboy Edition and price going up because of supply and demand, a 314mm2 chip does not cost $550 nor does it 25% cut down cost $379.

Hey, they want to cover the cost of that multi million dollar retreat they had for tech press affiliates.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Cool, so not answering my question. Is there any proof that Nvidia themselves are the culprits or as I mentioned, the rest of the supply chain being greedy?

It's very easy to blame Nvidia for everything that's wrong in the world... but there's a lot of other vultures on the carcass.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Cool, so not answering my question. Is there any proof that Nvidia themselves are the culprits or as I mentioned, the rest of the supply chain being greedy?

It's very easy to blame Nvidia for everything that's wrong in the world... but there's a lot of other vultures on the carcass.

I am not talking about what the cards are selling for now (my fault I wasn't clear), I am talking about the MSRP. The MSRP for the 1080 and 1070 were ridiculous to begin with.

Pay attention here... they released a stated MSRP of $599 for the GTX 1080.  Then they release their shitty reference design for $699.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Pay attention here... they released a stated MSRP of $599 for the GTX 1080.  Then they release their shitty reference design for $699.

Oh yea, my mistake. MSRP for the 1080 was $599 not $550. That was price of the also overpriced 980.

Well... before anyone firing any more blaming or defending, let's all remember one thing: This is business.

Why do you think Nvidia can push the price? Because they know for a fact that people will buy it as soon as it comeout, and in reality that's the truth. Is it good for the consumer? No. 

Why do you think AMD price their card that low? Because that's how they can get customer to buy it. Do you think if they are in the same situation/market share with Nvidia they would hesitated to put the 480 at $300 or so? heck no. If they have like 50% market share and tie up with Nvidia, their price would be alot higher than the proposed $200 now

This is business. They will do whatever they can to maximize the profit. 

So how do we get a lower price 1070 and 1080? We cant. Technically if we all agree to not buy an overprice product then they would lower the price eventually, but you know that is simply impossible. The only way for 1070 and 1080 price to be lower is for AMD to actually release a product that can compete with 1070 and 1080 in pure performance at ~$200 cheaper price. Why $200? Because if their card is only ~ $50 to $100 lower than the 1070 and 1080, AMD as they are now cant compete with Nvidia market share + software Nvidia have like Shadowplay, Ansel and other things and people will still pay $50-$100 more for those features. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

40 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It's amazing the amount of nonsensical responses this got.

@Supermangik, @JefferyD90has the right answer. It's just economics. The price of a GPU has nothing to do with it's performance, but rather it's production cost. Since we're on a smaller node this generation, you can fit more performance into a smaller surface area as you can see with the 314mm2 GTX 1080 vs the 601mm2 980 ti. The smaller the chip, the cheaper it is to produce. Polaris 10 is only 232mm2. Has nothing to do with using cheap parts or whether Nvidia is crushing AMD in the wet dreams of some of the morons who responded.

And the price really doesn't have much to do with production cost either...  It has to do with supply vs demand.

Supply of the RX 480 is going to be high SIMPLY because it is easier to produce, which makes it cheaper.

Demand of the RX 480 is going to be moderate (although it does have a lot of hype) because most gamers are going to go for a more high end solution.

DEMAND

------------

SUPPLY

If you have 10 people demanding a video card, and you only have one to give, what does the formula above tell you?  That it will be worth 10x what it would typically be worth.  Change the formula around and you get the reverse effect.

Because the card is easier to produce (it uses less materials), they will produce MANY of them.  Increasing supply.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

6 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

And the price really doesn't have much to do with production cost either...  It has to do with supply vs demand.

Supply of the RX 480 is going to be high SIMPLY because it is easier to produce, which makes it cheaper.

Demand of the RX 480 is going to be moderate (although it does have a lot of hype) because most gamers are going to go for a more high end solution.

DEMAND

------------

SUPPLY

If you have 10 people demanding a video card, and you only have one to give, what does the formula above tell you?  That it will be worth 10x what it would typically be worth.  Change the formula around and you get the reverse effect.

Because the card is easier to produce (it uses less materials), they will produce MANY of them.  Increasing supply.

Cost of production is ALWAYS a factor in determining the price of a product. You never want to price below a certain point because you will not make a profit or even suffer a loss. For the sake of profit, the price can only go up depending on demand and supply after that. No company is a charity. There are some unique cases, like consoles where they can sell at a loss because they will make up for it in software since the cost of producing software is not as high as producing hardware, but that's about it.

The RX 480 is very much the mid range card. Its a small die (234mm^2), its cheap to produce GDDR5 and a moderate width memory bus at 256bit. Because its a small die its also comparatively low power which means the power delivery mechanism is small and thus cheap.

A process change basically gives a manufacturer about 2x the transistors at the same price, Nvidia is using that to increase performance. AMD is using that to halve the price of the same performance. It isn't even the first time this has happened. Up until the 28nm process AMDs strategy was to release the mainstream card and address the high end with crossfire, they did it with the 4870, 5870, 6870 but it changed with the 7970. Nvidia on the other hand releases a mid size die (300-400mm^2) and makes that its initial high end until yields improve and then puts out a 500+mm^2 die for its true high end on a process and then usually the next process is out.

28nm was just an odd blip due to 20nm being useless forcing them to do a refresh on the same node which produced limited gains so die sizes increased on the mature process. What I think has changed is that AMD intends to create a larger die next year with Vega.

21 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Cost of production is ALWAYS a factor in determining the price of a product. You never want to price below a certain point because you will not make a profit or even suffer a loss. For the sake of profit, the price can only go up depending on demand and supply after that. No company is a charity. There are some unique cases, like consoles where they can sell at a loss because they will make up for it in software since the cost of producing software is not as high as producing hardware, but that's about it.

ABSOLUTLY NOT!  Look back at the AMD X3 CPU's.  Almost everyone of their early models were sold at a loss.

Losing $10 per CPU is TOTALLY worth it compared to scrapping whole warehouses.

Sometimes the best win you can get, is a small loss.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

27 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

ABSOLUTLY NOT!  Look back at the AMD X3 CPU's.  Almost everyone of their early models were sold at a loss.

They sold it at a loss after they couldn't sell it for profit. Don't kid yourself, they didn't create this gpu to sell it at a loss right out the gate.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

28 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

The cost of a product is determined way before the product is ever produced, after the cost to make it is figured, but all products are originally designed to make a profit, otherwise what is the point.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, incarnate said:

They sold it at a loss after they couldn't sell it for profit. Don't kid yourself, they didn't create this gpu to sell it at a loss right out the gate.

I never said they wanted to sell it at a loss.  I'm just saying the market affects the price.

You certainly have a target price, but I'd say they are slightly below their original target.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

The cost of a product is determined way before the product is ever produced, after the cost to make it is figured, but all products are originally designed to make a profit, otherwise what is the point.

Without a doubt products are made to make a profit, but the market could EASILY sway that in a huge way.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

Without a doubt products are made to make a profit, but the market could EASILY sway that in a huge way.

The only way amd will sell the 480 at a loss is if they could not sell them, but looking at some of the early benchmarks and seeing it perform conservatively about the same as a 390, and with all of the vr marketing i doubt they will be loosing money.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

They're going for a different market, something they know they can get a strong upper hand in, mostly because Nvidia has neglected that price bracket. I too had wished AMD was going to have something that more directly competed with the GTX 1070, but I'm starting to think that the 8GB version of the RX 480 might come pretty damn close to the 1070. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, JefferyD90 said:

I never said they wanted to sell it at a loss.  I'm just saying the market affects the price.

You certainly have a target price, but I'd say they are slightly below their original target.

I certainly get that, and I see now what you're trying to say. However, it is quite easy to confuse what you are saying.

Yes the market does effect the price, even pushing it to a loss, however the cost of production is always a factor, even when selling at a loss

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

So I searched around on Google, and found this article: http://neurogadget.net/2016/06/20/radeon-rx-480-vs-geforce-gtx-1080-comparison-in-vr-performance/33577

Amazing! I can see why now AMD made this move to sell RX 480 series at a lower price. They're gambling on VR technology, and being the leader in the movement. With the lower price, VR can be pushed further, and AMD RX series will be the preferred choice in gaming console, for VR development because of their lower price compared to nVida 1080. Companies would use AMD as their preferred brand, and if when VR gaming does become a success, AMD already has their foot in the game while nVida would need to play catch up by developing a cheaper alternative to consumer concerning VR.

Because AMD loves me, i am their new special person.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64