Ubisoft CEO open to a merger – but not with Vivendi

themaniac

The CEO of Ubisoft said he's confident the French videogame publisher will be able to fend off a move by Vivendi to obtain a seat on the company's board of directors. However, he says, the company is exploring other options – just in case it can't.

Vivendi, for the past eight months, has steadily been buying shares of Ubisoft – raising its stake to 17.7 percent. (The founders own just 9 percent of shares and hold 16 percent of the voting rights.) This comes on the heels of Vivendi's hostile takeover of Gameloft, a mobile game company that was founded by the same brothers.

"We have Plan A and Plan B," said Yves Guillemot, co-founder, chairman and CEO at Ubisoft. "Plan A is to remain independent. Plan B is going with another group, either in the game industry or with a technology or other types of company. Those are the two options at this point and they are both still open."

So apparently Ubisoft is open to a merger with someone except for Vivendi.

I honestly want Ubisoft to stay independent so i hope they manage to stay independent

Source: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/13/ubisoft-ceo-open-to-a-merger--but-not-with-vivendi.html

this is my first thread in Tech news and reviews so if theres anything i should add or change do tell me, and if this was posted earlier go ahead and merge it or lock it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

17 minutes ago, themaniac said:

merge it or lock it

ayy lmao

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

It would be funny if they decided instead to go with, let's say, EA. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

30 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

i'd much rather use origin over uplay, i'd be okay with this

on the other hand, ubisoft has not recently released anything i'm remotely interested in

57 minutes ago, Sky Daddy said:

i'd much rather use origin over uplay, i'd be okay with this

on the other hand, ubisoft has not recently released anything i'm remotely interested in

Sure, actually I think Origin is the best platform out of the available ones, but I was talking in general. 

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Sure, actually I think Origin is the best platform out of the available ones, but I was talking in general. 

I disagree. Origin isn't as bad as people make it out to be but GOG is better for the consumer.

As for the OP, Ubisoft + EA doesn't sound that bad actually... At least as long as Ubisoft listens to EA since Ubisoft is kind of the EA that people hated a few years ago.

Valve should buy them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, ElfFriend said:

I disagree. Origin isn't as bad as people make it out to be but GOG is better for the consumer.

As for the OP, Ubisoft + EA doesn't sound that bad actually... At least as long as Ubisoft listens to EA since Ubisoft is kind of the EA that people hated a few years ago.

You mean listens to EA the same as they sacrificed a lot of content in Battlefront just so they can publish it before the movie? I still think EA is worse atm than Ubi, my personal opinion. I don't hate any publisher, it's more of which I like less. EA owns more IPs that I like than Ubi, but that doesn't help. 

Anyhow, stsrting to derail the thread. 

A breakup, with the people at the very top being fired and banned from the industry, would be much better for everyone involved.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I have a feeling it's a personal vendetta, They did this to Gameloft and Gameloft is owned by the brother of the owner of Ubisoft.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Valve should buy them

Valve gave up making games when they saw how much they could make from hats. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Valve gave up making games when they saw how much they could make from hats. 

Ubisoft would still be making the games, they just get bought by valve and are distributed over steam and Uplay can go eat shit :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

40 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Ubisoft would still be making the games, they just get bought by valve and are distributed over steam and Uplay can go eat shit :)

valve doesn't have the money, hell they can't even fund their VR games...

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

2 minutes ago, dimitriianghelov said:

I was joking tbh haha i would never expect valve to buy them

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have a feeling it's a personal vendetta, They did this to Gameloft and Gameloft is owned by the brother of the owner of Ubisoft.

I wouldn't say so, Yves was looking at investors which would help them fend off Vivendi, he was even talking with the canadian government which shows how far he would go. When Vivendi first bought shares he called the purchase "unsolicited and unwelcome" which also shows what he thinks of Vivendi. If he can get a merger with another company, a company he approves, that is the lesser of two evils and a gamble he's willing to take. Better than Vivendi owning 51% of Ubi and calling all shots. Ubi would loose their autonomy which Is really bad. At least in merger they would still have a lot of key functions and much, much more freedom. 

Imagine if Vivendi already owned them and said no to, let's say,  AC II, Far Cry 3, PoP: Warrior Within or Splinter Cell 3 because they have the final word. That's what he is trying to avoid.

Somebody needs to buy them out, fire all the staff and turn it around. They've been turning out shit tier games for too long now.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

13 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Somebody needs to buy them out, fire all the staff and turn it around. They've been turning out shit tier games for too long now.

With Ubisoft, I dont think its the programmers/designers etc, as honestly I think they do a great job, the problem is, the Authorities at the top, who force the developers to rush projects, force out unwanted sequels and generally just fuck it all up

I mean I feel like its a talented team, being made to do poor work to make the high ups a quick buck

5 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It would be both frightening and ironic. Frightening because EA isn't exactly the best place to work in or the most honest publisher out there, ironic because EA once actually owned a 20% stake in Ubisoft, but soon backpedaled because Guillemot saw that as an hostile move that could precede a complete takeover.

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Steam is definately the best platform but their app sucks dick

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I dont think Valve has the money to buy Ubisoft. Ubisoft is much bigger then Valve on almost any scale. The only place where Valve is bigger is the Steam platform vs Uplay. Ubisoft sells millions of game copies every year at $60 a pop, not $3 on sale every 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Valve should buy them

Nope nope nope

13 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I dont think Valve has the money to buy Ubisoft. Ubisoft is much bigger then Valve on almost any scale. The only place where Valve is bigger is the Steam platform vs Uplay. Ubisoft sells millions of game copies every year at $60 a pop, not $3 on sale every 2 weeks.

Skins skins even more skins.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

i hope they get bought by vivendi so that they have to eat a huge bag of d every day, for the rest of their lives 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

31 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Nope nope nope

Skins skins even more skins.

I was joking dude, I dont want valve to buy them haha

5 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Ubisoft is way bigger than Valve in terms of number of employees, offices etc, and they are clearly much more productive when it comes to new game development.

But in terms of cashflow Valve is crazy loaded. They get upto 30% on steam transactions and you can't understate how massive that is. Basically the majority of successful PC games make Valve richer. Not just the stuff that they make.

7 hours ago, dimitriianghelov said:

We’re trying to do everything we can for them (VR devs). We’re funding development as well, I know HTC is as well. You couldn’t guess who we are as we don’t think they should be exclusive to our hardware ... - Chet Faliszek, Vavle

http://www.roadtovr.com/valves-chet-faliszek-on-htc-vive-pre-content-showcase-surprises-and-ninja-cats/