Whats the difference between the amd branding ?

Gapehorn

So AMD has like the HD , r7 , r9 branding etc but whats the difference between all of them ?

5 minutes ago, Gapehorn said:

So AMD has like the HD , r7 , r9 branding etc but whats the difference between all of them ?

It's just naming scheme but the HD series is the older cards from the 7000series of GPU's when they stopped and started with the R series, between R7 and R9 the lower or entry level cards are the R7 and high tier cards are the R9. 

The HD brandings were AMDs old nomenclature for naming their GPUs.

R5, R7, R9 are relatively newer with increasing order of performance. A good way to understand this would be to draw a parallel with Intel's i3,i5 and i7's nomenclature

10 minutes ago, Gapehorn said:

HD is what they used to use.

R7 is for the lower tiers of graphics chips.

R9 for the higher tiers.

The new RX falls into the same category as R9 for now.

I miss the HD days, RIP my Radeon 7950 HD

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

5 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

HD is what they used to use.

R7 is for the lower tiers of graphics chips.

R9 for the higher tiers.

The new RX falls into the same category as R9 for now.

if so , then whats the difference between the different numbers in each tier like the R9 380 / R9 390 etc

1 minute ago, Gapehorn said:

if so , then whats the difference between the different numbers in each tier like the R9 380 / R9 390 etc

Just different tiers of cards within a lineup the R9 390 in this case is the higher performing card of those two. Here this shows everything in detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_R_300_Series

1 minute ago, Gapehorn said:

Higher number means that it's a more powerful card in that lineup.

So, R9 390 is more powerful than the R9 380. But they are both in AMD's higher tiers of cards. And if you compare R9 380X with 380(non-X), then the X-version is slightly more powerful than the non-X versions.

12 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

r9 is better 

Not necessarily. There's an R9 370 and an R7 370. The R7 370 is better.

Like NVIDIA's "GTX" monitor, the R# moniker is redundant as hell because you can just get the meaning that it was supposed to convey with the model number. The HD#### naming scheme was essentially perfect.

29 minutes ago, Gapehorn said:

The HD use to be a older branding.  Pretty much anything that is HD branded is 3 years old.

The R5, R7, and R9 branding is new to help tell users what product family to buy from.

The R5 includes entry level graphics, things for watching videos, and editing photos.

The R7 includes entry level gaming graphics, for games like Dota and lower resolution screens (like in cheaper notebooks).

The R9 series includes the high end gaming graphics, this is for your Battlefield or Skyrim gamer.

They have introduced the Radeon Fury series for enthusiast, which are people that just want to spend money for the best, period.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

13 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Like NVIDIA's "GTX" monitor, the R# moniker is redundant as hell because you can just get the meaning that it was supposed to convey with the model number. The HD#### naming scheme was essentially perfect.

There is not anything called a R9 370.

With a quick websearch you can bust that myth: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

56 minutes ago, Gapehorn said:

HD was from 2012 and died off. R7 basically means "meh" gaming GPUs.

R9 is for high performance and the new RX seems to be the successor to R9.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Gapehorn said:

Not much different from what nVidia or Intel is using....

R9 / R7 / R5 / R3 is the tier....like nVidia's G / GT / GTS / GTX...or Intel's Celeron / Pentium / i3 / i5 / i7 / Xeon.

Then the number 390 / 380 / 370...is like nVidia's 980 / 970 / 960 / 950

R9-390X and R9-390 is like GTX 980Ti and GTX 980.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

its better. just becase one isn't doesn't mean its not butter, R9 are the higher end cards. and if you buy a 370 well thats dumb.

3 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

its better. just becase one isn't doesn't mean its not butter, R9 are the higher end cards. and if you buy a 370 well thats dumb.

LMAO!  *omg i'm I can't stop laughing*.

For several hundred US dollars i'd sure hope it's not butter. :D

Thanks man! You made my day :)!

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

LMAO!  *omg i'm I can't stop laughing*.

For several hundred US dollars i'd sure hope it's not butter. :D

Thanks man! You made my day :)!

not even going to fix that xD 

9 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

There is not anything called a R9 370.

With a quick websearch you can bust that myth: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9

Oh, so I guess Dell has a typo (see attached) and FutureMark must be smoking unicorn dust: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+R9+370+OEM/review

It was an OEM only card.

23 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Ultimately my point is the R# designation is redundant because you can derive what tier it is from the model itself. Does anyone really care it's an R7 or an R9? No, they care if it's a 370, 380, or 390.

r9_370.png

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh, so I guess Dell has a typo (see attached) and FutureMark must be smoking unicorn dust: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+R9+370+OEM/review

It was an OEM only card.

Ultimately my point is the R# designation is redundant because you can derive what tier it is from the model itself. Does anyone really care it's an R7 or an R9? No, they care if it's a 370, 380, or 390.

r9_370.png

that says R9

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And there's an R7 370 that was available for consumers, that was more powerful, if slightly.

R9 is still better

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

R9 is still better

in 99.99999999% of cases YES it is.

Except RX which replaces R9

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

in 99.99999999% of cases YES it is.

Except RX which replaces R9

when thats out yes

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It was an OEM only card.

r9_370.png

That is nothing more than a typo.  Probably because some Indian who doesn't understand English very well is doing their website.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/oem

Because even in their OEM section, they don't offer a R9 ANYTHING.

There is not a R9-370 video card.  It is a typo.

Spoiler