ValvE developer confirms - Vulkan support to be added to DOTA2 next week or so

source: https://np.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/4jzsir/dota_2_update_main_client_may_18_2016/d3ayzck

via: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Dota-2-Vulkan-Coming-Soon

1024px-Valve_gray_logo.svg.png

Fletcher Dunn, ValvE software developer, has confirmed on reddit that they will publicly release Vulkan API support to DOTA2 sometime next week

We're going to release vulkan support soon, probably sometime next week.

Phoronix did some digging and found that both x86-64 builds of the game, Linux and Windows, will get the new API

next week should be exciting, testing to be done

I really hope ValvE will expand Vulkan API support across all their Source Engine games

---

on a related note: I haven't heard anything from "The Talos Principle" developer on finishing the work on Vulkan API implementation :/

---

update 23rd of May: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.5.3-Release-Notes.aspx

the latest AMD Radeon drivers list support for Dota™2 (with Vulkan™ API), further reinforcing the expected impending release 

----

update May 24th: http://www.dota2.com/news/updates/22000/

thanks to @Humbug for the tip, ValvE released the Vulkan support in form of a DLC

The beta version of Vulkan support for Dota 2 is now available via DLC. Vulkan is a high-efficiency cross-platform graphics API for modern GPUs. For more information on Vulkan visit http://www.khronos.org/vulkan/.

Technical notes:

• Please make sure to opt-in to the Steam Client Beta for the latest Steam Vulkan Overlay (fixes performance issue with Steam Overlay).
  • Enable with the -vulkan launch option after downloading the Vulkan Beta DLC. Remove -dx9/-dx11/-gl (if present) from any previous launch options.

Minimum requirements:

• Windows 7/8/10 64-bit: NVIDIA 600-series+ (365.19+ driver), AMD 7700+ (Crimson 16.5.2.1+ driver)
  • Linux 64-bit: NVIDIA 600-series+ (364.16+ driver), AMD GCN 1.2 (16.20.3 driver)
  • 2GB of GPU memory required - may experience crashes with < 2GB of GPU memory.

The first time you run with Vulkan you may experience short stutters while the engine caches shaders on disk. After playing through or watching a match, these stutters should go away.

There is a known issue on Linux with NVIDIA GPUs where tearing can be observed even when vertical sync is enabled. NVIDIA is aware of the issue and it will be fixed in the future through a driver update.

Please file any bugs with the Vulkan version at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2-Vulkan/issues/  

Edited by zMeul

This should help AMD push their APUs for MOBAs even more.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I want Vulkan to come to OS X. Literary nobody is doing anything with Apple's Metal API.

But yeah, Source would get full Vulkan support when Vulkan would release, which it did, so now Valve followed up.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I want Vulkan to come to OS X. Literary nobody is doing anything with Apple's Metal API.

my understanding is that Apple hasn't showed up at any of the Khronos Group meetings regarding Vulkan development

Hardly a surprise at this point, GabeN flat out said he sees no point in creating a DX12 renderer for Source 2 and Valve are pushing Linux gaming harder than anybody else. TBH it would be weirder if they didn't drop Vulkan into S2.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

YES. It will be awesome to see what Valve can do with Vulkan. I can't wait for them to release it in 1 month. Maybe they will implement Vulkan in other games when they release it in 2 months? Anyways when we finally get the Vulkan patch in 3 months, maybe we can finally get some new Valve games, like left4dead3 after the patch lands in 4 months.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

what i really want is for Blizz to jump on Vulkan on all the Battlenet games, and maybe, just maybe finally release all of them on Linux (although PoL does a wonderful job, so far). But will gladly give another shot to Dota 2 for a day or 2

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Very good news. The harder Vulkan is pushed the better. Maybe gamers can disregard windows in it's entirety within 5 years? One can hope.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

I have never played DOTA, is it that demanding that it would need Vulcan to improve performance?

I was under the impression these Mobo's are not very demanding?

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

But yeah, Source would get full Vulkan support when Vulkan would release, which it did, so now Valve followed up.

Blizzard is using Metal for the new WoW Expansion Legion, and are going to use it to replace their OpenGL ports on OS X.

Wouldn't be surprised if they also go for Vulkan later as it means better cross platform support than DX12.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

13 minutes ago, super_skank said:

I have never played DOTA, is it that demanding that it would need Vulcan to improve performance?

It's not demanding. Most source games can be run on a potato. But if you crank all settings up, it may get little demanding.

Wonder if Source would make it's way to mobile platforms soon too.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

56 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Wonder if Source would make it's way to mobile platforms soon too.

would be great to see more Valve games on android tablets. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

I really hope ValvE will expand Vulkan API support across all their Source Engine games

Source2 is the modern engine which supports Vulkan. So they can only add it Dota2 and the Lab out of their existing games.

the other games are on source 1 engine. So unless they want to port them over to newer engine...

3 hours ago, super_skank said:

it's already well optimized. But Vulkan and DX12 are not only meant for super demanding games.

also there are loads of people who play dota2 on laptops or integrated graphics who appreciate every performance boost. This may not improve average framerates but maybe it can reduce dips in hectic scenes...

12 hours ago, super_skank said:

CPU bottleneck game, hopefully with Vulkan i can get >9000 FPS instead of peasant 150.

Moba's*

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

13 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Blizzard is using Metal for the new WoW Expansion Legion, and are going to use it to replace their OpenGL ports on OS X.

Wouldn't be surprised if they also go for Vulkan later as it means better cross platform support than DX12.

If they're doing that for Legion then why are they not doing the same for Overwatch?

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

1 minute ago, Ze_Mako said:

If they're doing that for Legion then why are they not doing the same for Overwatch?

No idea there, which is odd. They simply stated Windows only for Overwatch so far.

We have to remember these are to difference development teams; so who knows why they decided to stick to DX11 for Overwatch; while the Legion Beta already has an early build of Metal running with a performance increase.

Every FPS counts.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I might actually consider starting to play Dota 2. Very late to the party though.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

16 hours ago, Valentyn said:

many say that blizzard's codebase is a bit outdated and very singlethreaded which means they have some bottlenecks that prevents them from benefitting from modern APIs like Vulkan, DX12. Unless they are willing to totally refactor their engine.

15 minutes ago, Humbug said:

many say that blizzard's codebase is a bit outdated and very singlethreaded which means they have some bottlenecks that prevents them from benefitting from modern APIs like Vulkan, DX12. Unless they are willing to totally refactor their engine.

Well Metal is also a very low level API, the only difference is that it's OS X and iOS exclusive.

I play a lot of Blizzard games and they are horrifically single thread dependant. 

So far for Overwatch this is certainly not the case, as it's a brand new engine, unlike the rest of their games which is still using the Warcraft 3 source code.