Were you nervous on your first build?

OnionRings

i was nervous about the front panel headers and the fact that with my first case the power button was pushed in and constantly would restart and i took my forever to figure out what was wrong

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Although I mentioned earlier I still get a little nervous when testing components I'm ALWAYS nervous when putting things in and doing the watercooled part because something always seems to go wrong when I do it. I've only had a couple leaks which I caught before components got wet but for some reason I'll always be short on one piece or another no matter how much planning I seem to do. The thought of a leak just always gets to me even though I know there almost certainly won't be one. Heck I built my first hardline PC almost 6 months ago and I still check almost weekly for leaks =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I was a little bit nervous about the CPU cooler not wanting to mount. I had to put so much pressure on it just to be able to screw it to the motherboard I was slightly worried about crushing the CPU (is it actually possible?). Other than that, even though it was my first build, I was quite confident about it as I'd felt I had done enough preparatory work like reading/watching up on stuff.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I did it, everything went fine, n problems, just took a while and was hella nervous cus I thought I got my cpu cooler stuck only 1 arm in

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

The only real reason I was nervous doing my brother's build was because he was just making me nervous. I was actually doing a much better job on my laptop without any stress than I did with my brother's build simply because he feared that I was gonna fuck something up.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 5/18/2016 at 10:06 AM, OnionRings said:

Was anybody else nervous about their first time? *Giggity* I am a little, soon as the rest of my parts arrive over the next few days I'll be building soon and I'm so nervous. I feel confident in how to do it from watching Linus and other tech people do it but still anything could go wrong, I'm most nervous about installing the cpu. One mistake and I'm 200$ down the drain. 

I was nervous about getting the money to build when I planned. Once that was figured out I was nervous about all the parts arriving without being broken.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

I wasn't nervous as I had purchased most of my parts from microcenter.

I just didn't want to drive an hour if something went wrong.

CPU: Intel i5-7600k (4.8 ghz) | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero | RAM: Corsair LPX (2x8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | CPU Cooler: NH-D15|

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W | Case: Fractal Define R5 | Storage: Samsung EVO 250GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB | Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" 144hz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | 

Mouse: Logitech G602 | Headset: Sennheiser HD558 + V-Moda Boom Pro mic

No not on my first one,  but then when I upgraded the memory on my video card and then turned it on and set fire to it I have to say I probably should have been. I was certainly nervous on my second build! But now after what is probably 50 builds its just boring

Erm, no, not really. If you possess common sense and educate yourself well about building a PC I can pretty much guarantee you won't break anything. PC components are a lot more durable than a lot of people give them credit for.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

For the first time, there are typically two styles and both can be nerve wracking. You can either plan the encounter out in intricate detail, including all the tools you may need and plenty of studying ahead of time. The other method, for the first time, is much more spontaneous and usually relies upon remembering what your buddies or acquaintances online have said.

In either case getting things just right will have a bit of trial and error to figure out exactly where things fit and figuring out that some tools are just to unwieldy for the job at hand. This is still true for people who have done it several times in the past. My last one had some serious size considerations with most people saying that what I wanted to put in wouldn't fit in such a small subject. It took a lot of trial and error, and moving things around a bit, but it worked out very well.

Turning them on the first time can sometimes be an issue; maybe something just wasn't right, a protective cover wasn't applied, or in some cases, a protective cover wasn't removed. Once they are turned on, however, that's when the fun can begin, since once everything comes together, you are ready to play.

(or have a cigarette)