Were you nervous on your first build?

OnionRings
1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If it makes you feel safer while building go ahead. Also avoid very baggy clothing. The friction of the clothes moving around may cause ESD. You do want to be cautious if you're in a dry climate. If you live in an area with high humidity it's almost impossible for ESD to build up. The dryer the air the more cautious you should be.

No idea if my area is dry or moist, probably dry I'd say, small town in PA not like florida or something, no humidifiers or anything going in my house, no heat on, no ac running, just fans.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Just now, brune67 said:

well.... that sounds ghetto

Yeah... installing a Noctua NH-D15 on a Micro ATX board is pretty ghetto. It doesn't help that Noctua says my mobo is not compatible. 

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

3 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Oh jesus. Oh yea that made me want to ask, are all cpu coolers (high end ones anyway, not stock) huge with thermal pipes and shit? Can you just buy a really good fan for like 20$? I don't even plan to overclock so I doubt I'll need the huge thingy.

Not all of them are huge. A good fan would help but if you don't overclocked you could do fine with the stock cooler or a 212 evo if you think you need better temps

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

Not all of them are huge. A good fan would help but if you don't overclocked you could do fine with the stock cooler or a 212 evo if you think you need better temps

I'll wait to test my load first and see the temps, the most intense thing I can see me doing is either rendering a 1080P video or streaming 1080P (If my cpu can stream without a GPU's help, gotta test that out too)

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

4 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

No idea if my area is dry or moist, probably dry I'd say, small town in PA not like florida or something, no humidifiers or anything going in my house, no heat on, no ac running, just fans.

If walking around your house gets you zapped on everything metal it's dry. If walking around your house doesn't get you zapped on everything metal it's not that dry. I should know. I get shocked BAD when the air drys up. To the point when my fingers twitch and I lose a little sensitivity for a few minutes, it hurts I'm not even joking. Only when the air is dry though, when it's at least mildly humid everything is fine.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If walking around your house gets you zapped on everything metal it's dry. If walking around your house doesn't get you zapped on everything metal it's not that dry. I should know. I get shocked BAD when the air drys up. To the point when my fingers twitch and I lose a little sensitivity for a few minutes, it hurts I'm not even joking. Only when the air is dry though, when it's at least mildly humid everything is fine.

I guess I would say moist then? But I don't really have anything metal I touch anyway. All my door knobs are from like the 30s made of glass and shit.

CPU

Just now, OnionRings said:

I guess I would say moist then? But I don't really have anything metal I touch anyway. All my door knobs are from like the 30s made of glass and shit.

Well you could touch the screws that hold the face plate onto your light switches. The light switches themselves are usually grounded to the house and I always shock myself on the screws when the air drys up.

Yes, I was very nervous despite the fact that it was an AMD Chip. Also, when I realized I bought a Motherboard that needed its bios updating before it could be compatible with my CPU, I was shitting my pants. I thought I had killed the machine in some way when my PSU was smelling a bit of smoke. It turned out fine though. 

Then what happened is I sent back my parts for RMA as I didnt know what happened at the time. When it came back to me my CPU pins were bent and I had to bend them back again very carefully. Now I just dont take my CPU out my motherboard because the bent pins were very brittle.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

8 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

Yes, I was very nervous despite the fact that it was an AMD Chip. Also, when I realized I bought a Motherboard that needed its bios updating before it could be compatible with my CPU, I was shitting my pants. I thought I had killed the machine in some way when my PSU was smelling a bit of smoke. It turned out fine though. 

Then what happened is I sent back my parts for RMA as I didnt know what happened at the time. When it came back to me my CPU pins were bent and I had to bend them back again very carefully. Now I just dont take my CPU out my motherboard because the bent pins were very brittle.

How do you know if the bios needs an update before it works?

CPU

Yea I'm still nervous, my monitor is finally being shipped and I hope that none of my parts were DOA. 

Don't know, i would use the term careful, i was more than confident enough as i researched heavily before ever doing it, this was back in 2009.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

Only when I booted for the first time and the OCZ PSU blew up immediately.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I had a PC to tinker with before so I was comfortable with most things when I built my first PC. Except one, and I'm still nervous to this day about it: installing the CPU. Granted it's simple, but the fact it's really easy to screw up and the manufacturer won't take back a botched up part makes the stakes a lot higher.

Nah. It took a while, but it didn't feel hard. It's more about taking it slow.

Although that was 4 years ago now. My computer's so old :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, OnionRings said:

How do you know if the bios needs an update before it works?

You have to look up your motherboard model and see what CPUs it supports and what BIOS version it needs to support them.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

You have to look up your motherboard model and see what CPUs it supports and what BIOS version it needs to support them.

Can I just find out by assembling the pc and trying to turn it on? What will happen if it isn't updated? How do you even update it without turning it on anyway? 

CPU

Just now, OnionRings said:

Can I just find out by assembling the pc and trying to turn it on? What will happen if it isn't updated? How do you even update it without turning it on anyway? 

You can test to see if the computer shows a display - if it's running a non-supported CPU it won't.

And if you need a BIOS update, you'll have to borrow a CPU that's supported to perform the BIOS flash with it.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You can test to see if the computer shows a display - if it's running a non-supported CPU it won't.

And if you need a BIOS update, you'll have to borrow a CPU that's supported to perform the BIOS flash with it.

Well im fucked then if it needs an update because I have NO cpu's to go in it and NO tech friends to borrow from

CPU

6 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Well im fucked then if it needs an update because I have NO cpu's to go in it and NO tech friends to borrow from

Perhaps there's a hardware repairshop / store near you that you can ask to flash the BIOS. They should have a supported CPU laying around.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

The first time I installed a CPU, I was terrified. I spent a few minutes lowering it millimeter by millimeter (or so it felt :P) into the socket. It wasn't bad after that.

ASU

Of Course. Everyone is the first Time.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I was nervous a part wouldnt work and id have to wait another week to actually build it. 

I was also nervous id drop the cpu accidentally into the socket and ruin the 200 dollar motherboard or plug something in incorrectly and notice a bit of smoke.

System Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Displays: PlayStation® 3D Display (1080p)

Displays: VA1948M (900p)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan 
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75.0 CFM  120mm Fans  
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse 

15 hours ago, OnionRings said:

Was anybody else nervous about their first time? *Giggity* I am a little, soon as the rest of my parts arrive over the next few days I'll be building soon and I'm so nervous. I feel confident in how to do it from watching Linus and other tech people do it but still anything could go wrong, I'm most nervous about installing the cpu. One mistake and I'm 200$ down the drain. 

I think the part that made me the most nervous on my first build was installing the CPU cooler. And it's still probably my least favorite part of a system build....

i7-4770k | Asus Maximus VI Hero | Corsair H100i | 1080ti  | G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400Mhz | Samsung EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair RM1000i | Fractal Design Define R4 | LG 27GL83A

25 minutes ago, Rasmuff said:

I think the part that made me the most nervous on my first build was installing the CPU cooler. And it's still probably my least favorite part of a system build....

Now that you mentioned it, nothing makes me more nervous installing the CPU itself than Intel's godawful pushpin cooler retention system. It keeps confusing me and it can appear secure without actually being secure. I nearly fried two processors because of it.

15 hours ago, OnionRings said:

Oh jesus. Oh yea that made me want to ask, are all cpu coolers (high end ones anyway, not stock) huge with thermal pipes and shit? Can you just buy a really good fan for like 20$? I don't even plan to overclock so I doubt I'll need the huge thingy.

well if u dont plan to oc a aftermarket coller wont be necesary in most cases