Were you nervous on your first build?

OnionRings

Was anybody else nervous about their first time? *Giggity* I am a little, soon as the rest of my parts arrive over the next few days I'll be building soon and I'm so nervous. I feel confident in how to do it from watching Linus and other tech people do it but still anything could go wrong, I'm most nervous about installing the cpu. One mistake and I'm 200$ down the drain. 

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

3 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Was anybody else nervous about their first time? *Giggity* I am a little, soon as the rest of my parts arrive over the next few days I'll be building soon and I'm so nervous. I feel confident in how to do it from watching Linus and other tech people do it but still anything could go wrong, I'm most nervous about installing the cpu. One mistake and I'm 200$ down the drain. 

I wasnt particularly nervous, and definantly dont be nervous about the CPU. It is really basic to install as long as you line up the arrows you'll be fine.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

4 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Just don't do anything miraculously stupid, and make sure you ground yourself before installing it.

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

Just don't do anything miraculously stupid, and make sure you ground yourself before installing it.

I don't even have a wrist band or anti static mat, one of my friends said to just plug in my PSU make sure its off and just touch it here and there to transfer out static, will that work? If not where can I get a wrist band cheap locally, would walmart have them? I have a jar full of quarters lmfao.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

My very first build I pressed my AM3 CPU into the socket and bent some pins. I didn't know it was a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket. My cousin was there. He was the tech guy at the time. He tried bending the pins back but decided to just hook me up with a Phenom II B55 for free. I felt terrible. Parts in total were about $250. That was a lot of money to me at the time and I had to wait a few days to get the system online.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

My very first build I pressed my AM3 CPU into the socket and bent some pins. I didn't know it was a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket. My cousin was there. He was the tech guy at the time. He tried bending the pins back but decided to just hook me up with a Phenom II B55 for free. I felt terrible. Parts in total were about $250. That was a lot of money to me at the time and I had to wait a few days to get the system online.

Wow that stinks, lucky you had a nice cousin eh?

CPU

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I don't even have a wrist band or anti static mat, one of my friends said to just plug in my PSU make sure its off and just touch it here and there to transfer out static, will that work? If not where can I get a wrist band cheap locally, would walmart have them? I have a jar full of quarters lmfao.

Anything that is metal and properly grounded will work for discharging static. Anything with a 3 prong plug and a metal case basically. Just touch it regularly.

1 minute ago, Pesukarhu said:

Anything that is metal and properly grounded will work for discharging static. Anything with a 3 prong plug and a metal case basically. Just touch it regularly.

Ok thank you that's what my friend said to do. I also plan to build on all wood table and chairs with no heavy fabric on to prevent static in the first place.

CPU

1 minute ago, OnionRings said:

Ok thank you that's what my friend said to do. I also plan to build on all wood table and chairs with no heavy fabric on to prevent static in the first place.

If you can dont wear socks, it will help as well :) Use the common sense you have.

3 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I've been building and repairing systems for 8 years now, I have never killed hardware through ESD. I've never used a anti-static wrist strap. Touching the PSU while it's plugged into the wall periodically and not sliding around on the floor or your feet on carpet while building it and you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I've been building and repairing systems for 8 years now, I have never killed hardware through ESD. I've never used a anti-static wrist strap. Touching the PSU while it's plugged into the wall periodically and not sliding around on the floor or your feet on carpet while building it and you should be fine.

Will do, should I take Pesu's advice and not wear socks? BTW wooden floor as well.

CPU

1 hour ago, OnionRings said:

should I take Pesu's advice and not wear socks? BTW wooden floor as well.

Well, it can't hurt.

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

Just now, brune67 said:

Well, it can't hurt.

Very true, worse comes to worse my feet get blackened by my disgusting floor.

CPU

1 hour ago, OnionRings said:

worse comes to worse my feet get blackened by my disgusting floor.

If that's the case then you should probably sweep and mop your floor, and if that isn't enough to convince you, sweeping/mopping will help to keep dust out of the air and out of your PC! :P 

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

1 minute ago, brune67 said:

If that's the case then you should probably sweep and mop your floor, and if that isn't enough to convince you, sweeping/mopping will help to keep dust out of the air and out of your PC! :P 

Yea I'll probably clean first, its usually so gross due to high traffic through the dining room, it leads to every other room so if not mopped regularly it gets grody.

CPU

I wasn't overly nervous on my first build but I was still nervous. Heck, I've build tons of computers since then and I still always get a little nervous just because you never know what might not work right or be DoA. I always test before the final assembly but that first powerup when testing I still get a little nervous.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Hella nervous about the CPU cooler, and not having a catastrophic static discharge in general.

I'm pretty mellow about building now, but I still worry a bit when installing the CPU and cooler. It's pretty damn easy, but in the back of my head there's always this "don't fuck up or you'll cost yourself $300+" voice.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Just now, Lurick said:

I wasn't overly nervous on my first build but I was still nervous. Heck, I've build tons of computers since then and I still always get a little nervous just because you never know what might not work right or be DoA. I always test before the final assembly but that first powerup when testing I still get a little nervous.

Im like you, I'm not ready to throw up everywhere, im only a tad nervous. But I think I'll be fine.

CPU

My first build was done when I was really young, I knew very little and always thought if you touched the mobo with power going to it that it would kill you! Of course I did my research in the years after as I got better. Did always help me take extreme care of the boards even w/o power. Worst thing I was always afraid/nervous of was paying $100 for each part and randomly killing one.

Just now, Commander Llama said:

Hella nervous about the CPU cooler, and not having a catastrophic static discharge in general.

I'm pretty mellow about building now, but I still worry a bit when installing the CPU and cooler. It's pretty damn easy, but in the back of my head there's always this "don't fuck up or you'll cost yourself $300+" voice.

EXACTLY, THAT VOICE. It was hard enough to get this build money if I fuck up im out, no more money. And yea I'm nervous about the cooler too, especially since I just watched Linus's tech quickie video on how to install LGA1150 cpu's and I think mine is that, and the cooler looks annoyingly forced... don't wanna break my mobo.

CPU

You know what makes me nervous. Having a cpu cooler so big that you need to put electrical tape on your gpu so that it doesn't short out. 

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

1 hour ago, VoyexTech said:

You know what makes me nervous. Having a cpu cooler so big that you need to put electrical tape on your gpu so that it doesn't short out. 

well.... that sounds ghetto

"Rylo Ken"

6 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Will do, should I take Pesu's advice and not wear socks? BTW wooden floor as well.

If it makes you feel safer while building go ahead. Also avoid very baggy clothing. The friction of the clothes moving around may cause ESD. You do want to be cautious if you're in a dry climate. If you live in an area with high humidity it's almost impossible for ESD to build up. The dryer the air the more cautious you should be.

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

Oh jesus. Oh yea that made me want to ask, are all cpu coolers (high end ones anyway, not stock) huge with thermal pipes and shit? Can you just buy a really good fan for like 20$? I don't even plan to overclock so I doubt I'll need the huge thingy.

CPU

What makes me nervous is one of my 290Xs doesn't currently work right now...2 weeks ago when I disassembled my computer it worked fine but now...damn...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)