First GTX 1080 Review is HERE!

FirstArmada
2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So far? 2 people. Both of which have failed basic reading comprehensions and math and instead jumped and attacked Nvidia on complete misinformation.

Maybe you missed it in the other thread but I have already said I think the price is too high and I won't be getting it (will probably get a Polaris 10 card).

The price makes sense when you do the math. Nvidia known what the card performs likes and charges according to that. Sucks for us consumers that we don't get a huge leap in price:performance, but that's what happens when there isn't any competition.

As for the Swedish price, Nvidia re just fucking us over. The prices are far more reasonable in the US.

It's not "amazing", but it is a good card nonetheless.

Also, you should not think of it as a "double node jump" since the jump isn't that much bigger than a regular "single jump". For example 25nm to 28nm was 38% smaller. 28nm to 16nm is 43%. So it's more like "1.2 node jumps" rather than two.

Still, there's no point. I thought we had finally moved passed that retarded term in LLT forums.

I understand it because AMD is not out with their cards yet. But let's say for the argument that a Polaris 10 chip is as fast, but is 150-200$ cheaper. That would make the 1080 a blatant ripoff. I guess we can blame HBM2 for not being mass produced yet for GP100 and Vega, but I honestly think both would postpone both cards anyways. I dont like this new idea of launching these "mid end" cards at such an insane price only to launch a faster chip of the same generation 4-6 months later at an even more insane price.

It's all of EU, Canada and probably most other countries too, not just Sweden. Even the US price is quite high though.

It's not just a node shrink, but also a tech switch from planar to FinFet's. That counts too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Still, there's no point. I thought we had finally moved passed that retarded term in LLT forums.

I think there is a point to using words like that when appropriate. It highlights how a certain person thinks in a single word. I think it would be more "retarded" to write several words that essentially mean the same thing as the word "fanboy", just because "we shouldn't say the F word".

11 minutes ago, Notional said:

I understand it because AMD is not out with their cards yet. But let's say for the argument that a Polaris 10 chip is as fast, but is 150-200$ cheaper. That would make the 1080 a blatant ripoff. I guess we can blame HBM2 for not being mass produced yet for GP100 and Vega, but I honestly think both would postpone both cards anyways. I dont like this new idea of launching these "mid end" cards at such an insane price only to launch a faster chip of the same generation 4-6 months later at an even more insane price.

Last time I checked, Polaris will not compete with the 1080. AMD have said that it is a mainstream card so I am expecting it to be something like a 380X replacement or lower. It doesn't really make sense to paint a very unlikely scenario and go "if this plays out the the 1080 would not be worth the price!". I mean sure if that scenario did happen then you would be right, but what are the odds of that happening? All evidence we got right now points at the 1080 keeping the single GPU crown for quite some time. Despite the high price the price:performance (in the US) is very solid.

15 minutes ago, Notional said:

It's all of EU, Canada and probably most other countries too, not just Sweden. Even the US price is quite high though.

Well, let's see how supply and demand handles it. If people don't think it will be worth the price then they should fall. The price will go down when non-reference cards gets released as well. Nvidia have already said that the MSRP for founders cards (the initial version) will be higher than other versions.

17 minutes ago, Notional said:

It's not just a node shrink, but also a tech switch from planar to FinFet's. That counts too.

Sure, but I doubt going to FinFet would have the same effect as 0.8 "traditional node shrinks". I think it would be a stretch to even compare this to one and a half node shrinks. The previous shrinks were just so much more drastic.

so, what do you guys think about the performance, especially when it comes to overclocking?

I'm new to all this and would appreciate learning from your experience.

Let's assume custom cards and FE edition will cost the same. Worth waiting for like a month because of performance and temperatures?

I got a brad new PC without a dedicated GPU, thats right. It is literally standing here, doing nothing but office stuff.  

9 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

20-30% above a Titan X and stock 980 Ti. Definitely not "double the performance" as everyone was expecting

These are done without drivers so upon driver launch we would see it go up a bit more

23 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

These are done without drivers so upon driver launch we would see it go up a bit more

Fully Optimized drivers that is. Pascal has been supported by drivers since last fall.

1 hour ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Fully Optimized drivers that is. Pascal has been supported by drivers since last fall.

Beta support yes...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

5 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Aaaah that makes sense. But what normal person want to have GPU fan at 100% xD 

Unless you are using thunderbolt and have your PC in another room ... they you probbably just don't care xD 

Well, pretty much every guide I read on this forum tells you to spin your fan up to 100% before even doing anything.

A correction must be made about the link for Anandtech. They did a preview, not a full blown review as indicated by the length of the article, and their title.

GTX 1080 Anandtech.JPG

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

And we have a test with the first aftermarket cooler, the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV.

GTX-1080-mit-Accelero-Xtreme-IV-2-pcgh

GTX-1080-mit-Accelero-Xtreme-IV-7-pcgh-e

He managed to get 2.1 GHz while sitting at 50 C on an open bench.

What he says is that the card has a different problem, and that is capping the power limit of 1 8-pin connector in heavy OCs (if you understand german he says that at the end of the video). Seems like the custom cards might (or rather have to) come with more pins to solve this (speculations). Source

See I fuckin knew it. That single 8 pin will starve the card. Looks like I'll be mostly recommending custom PCB card. Even more so if the aim is to water cool and overclock ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

10 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

See I fuckin knew it. That single 8 pin will starve the card. Looks like I'll be mostly recommending custom PCB card. Even more so if the aim is to water cool and overclock ;)

Yup, the exact same thing as the Nano: power throttling, not thermo throttling.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

13 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

20-30% above a Titan X and stock 980 Ti. Definitely not "double the performance" as everyone was expecting

Depends on usage, and most benchmarks out there for it currently are stock speeds, not overclocked.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

13 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

You'd be surprised how many people were running around screaming "2x performance KEK"

I didn't see any of that and I've been following this for ages. They said it will beat SLI 980s, which it kind of did. It's not strictly the case though. 

I believe 2x/3x performance stuff was in relation to power usage and VR.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

6 minutes ago, Notional said:

And that single 8 pin Strix 970. Atleast the produo now has 3x8pin rather than the 2x8pin in the 295x2. 

High end cards aren't really meant to starve like that

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 hours ago, Notional said:

For a card that was thermal throttling quite often, more power would've been equal to suicide. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Last time I checked, Polaris will not compete with the 1080. AMD have said that it is a mainstream card so I am expecting it to be something like a 380X replacement or lower. 

I've said this and I will say it again, I'll bet that AMD has a different definition of the word mainstream (or are miss using it to appeal to the masses). Either that or something equal to Fury is the new "mainstream". I highly doubt the latter. 

AMD-GPU-Roadmap-Polaris-Vega-Navi.jpg

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

12 hours ago, Energycore said:

What architectural improvement?

This is more like Ivy Bridge was back in '12. Just the node shrink and a couple features.

Well Pascal was supposed to be a big jump, I mean it took them 18 months too.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I feel sorry for you. It must be hard being blind. The 1080 is performing ~60% higher on average in the benchmarks reviewers are posting.

It must be hard being an AMD fanboy. Blind and bad at math...

wouldnt quite call myself a AMD fanboy tbh.

im comparing the 1080 to the 980 ti, simply because its now in the same price range, and thus i dont see those numbers.

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

12 hours ago, Badly Browned said:

The 1080 also has the GP104 chip with the smaller die, and it's still seeing ~30% performance improvement over the 980ti.

I still don't think the msrp of the 1080 is bad, but I do want to wait for what the consumer release of the GP100 chip can provide.

At $700 it's not that bad if you look at it as being part of the current generation. My point is that a 300mm chip should not be $700. What price do you expect a 600mm GP100 card to launch at? Certainly can't be $650 if this is anything to go by.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

7 hours ago, Carclis said:

At $700 it's not that bad if you look at it as being part of the current generation. My point is that a 300mm chip should not be $700.

Well, I do agree that $700 doesn't appeal much to me. Like I said, the Founders looks like an early adapter tax to me. I'd like to see how the 3rd party prices really shake out, considering they are supposed to have an MSRP of $600.

What price do you expect a 600mm GP100 card to launch at? Certainly can't be $650 if this is anything to go by.

I expect the Titan P to launch at $1000. The Titan line has been stable at that price point and I do not expect it to change.

Since the 1080ti will use big Pascal, I expect it to maintain the $100 price difference between the x80 and the x80ti that we saw in the 900 series. So I expect a 3rd party MSRP of $700 for the 1080ti. To note, the 780ti also released at $700.

That said, perhaps Nvidia will decide that going to HBM2 in addition to GP100 justifies bumping up the price on both the Titan and Ti. If Nvidia sticks to their release schedule, the Titan P should come first, and if that one is coming with a $1100+ price point, the 1080ti will likely match the price increase as well.

That's why I think it's important for AMD's Polaris to come out swinging and keep Nvidia competitive on the prices.

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

Looks like its universally over double the performance of a 970.

But I just found out that the 1070 wont just have fewer cuda cores, but also regular GDDR5, so Im looking forward to reviews of those.

Im going to try and hold of buying until either the GP100 or even wait for Volta, unless the 1070 isnt too far behind the 1080 results.

Linus is my fetish.

So Jayz review is out and he also had Thermal throttling, where it dropped down to its base clock. He countered this by upping Power Limit and the fan to 80%

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Sure, but I doubt going to FinFet would have the same effect as 0.8 "traditional node shrinks". I think it would be a stretch to even compare this to one and a half node shrinks. The previous shrinks were just so much more drastic.

in terms of leakage, it is HUGE. 20nm and below is realistically and practically impossible without it. Hell even RTGs Raja Kodouri and other people in the industry has said so (in one form or another).

10 hours ago, Carclis said:

Well Pascal was supposed to be a big jump, I mean it took them 18 months too.

That's what I'm wondering. If they only shrunk the die and added a couple features to the polymorph engine, did it really take them 18 months and however many man-hours to just perform a die shrink and add Simultaneous Multi Projection? Seems kind of suspect.

But numbers don't lie, Pascal's CUDA cores can perform less instructions per clock (I know that's a CPU-only metric since I'm not sure GPUs have their own instruction sets but whatever) than Maxwell could. There's just more of them and they're clocked higher.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR