First GTX 1080 Review is HERE!

FirstArmada
Just now, Kimmers said:

Nobody said anything about 980Ti's in SLI.

Now we did :P

Can't stop the discussion train from switching rails every 25 seconds

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Kimmers said:

Nobody said anything about 980Ti's in SLI.

Erm, read the post again

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, Energycore said:

Like I said in the post, it's a better deal at $600 and worse at $700.

Agreed. $700 for the stock, unbinned version is kinda silly. Especially since you're going to be able to get a binned EVGA Classified for around $700 in the near(ish) future.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

980 is 400$ atm
1080 can only be bought for 700$ concurrently

@-BirdiE- Plus, it won't be available at $600 for probably 1-2 months after the release of the founder edition and what makes you think the price isn't going to be driven up if it's in high demand? Another r9 2xx and bitcoin situation anyone?

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ouch. And prices in Europe for the 1080 are going to be very steep too.

Why am I not surprised? God dammit UK's stupid 20% Tax on all goods and services :( oh wait I'm not getting one so it's all good :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

@-BirdiE- Plus, it won't be available at $600 for probably 1-2 months after the release of the founder edition

Source?

When in 4 weeks we still can't find AIB cards I'll be all like I told you so :P

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

@-BirdiE- Plus, it won't be available at $600 for probably 1-2 months after the release of the founder edition and what makes you think the price isn't going to be driven up if it's in high demand? Another r9 2xx and bitcoin situation anyone?

Why am I not surprised? God dammit UK's stupid 20% Tax on all goods and services :( oh wait I'm not getting one so it's all good :D 

You should be surprised that zmeul posted something informative :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

$600? I'd still say that's pretty damn good for what it delivers. Now we're getting subjective though. In comparison to the 980ti at $535 though, it is a good price.

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

When a company over-promises it's hard to not compare the benchmarks to what they promised.

Is it fine when a company advertises a product to be much better before launch than it actually ends up being? Game journalists disagree, with every game that doesn't look as good as its previews taking a lot of flak. Nvidia got the attention of all of us with their slides and failed to deliver on them.

We're not dissapointed in the card, we're dissapointed in the marketing that was done on it.

Nvidia hasn't failed to deliver on anything yet. The 2x performance vs. Titan X was for VR only, and NO ONE has posted VR benchmarks yet.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ouch. And prices in Europe for the 1080 are going to be very steep too.

Only $880 <3.

Still cheaper than a 980Ti, even if very slightly.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

4 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

Source?

Well it's the typical time frame from reference to custom so why would the situation be any different this time around?

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

When in 4 weeks we still can't find AIB cards I'll be all like I told you so :P

You should be surprised that zmeul posted something informative :P

Well considering that I just had a flame war with him a few days ago on how he was comparing the Fury X to the 1080 without thinking how the Fury is a gen behind and claiming that polaris 10 will at tops have the processing power of a 380x...this is a genuine surprise :P 

Happy 1,900th post to me as well :D only 100 more till I hit 2k :) 

7 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Dual 980ti in SLI is still about $470 more than a single 1080. Why are they being compared?

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Dual 980ti in SLI is still about $470 more than a single 1080. Why are they being compared?

Ask the guy above - he brought it up saying the 1080 was faster.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Back on topic. The 1080 still outperforms the 980Ti and 980s in SLI by a considerable margin for the same price.

We're comparing price / performance. Regardless of price point, because if we only compared the 1080 to similar priced cards it wouldn't tell the complete story.

Also because this discussion is about quantity of information and not about quality thereof.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

And you won't be right. NVIDIA has BUSINESS PARTNERS THAT MAKE AFTERMARKET CARDS. They can just say "you cant make our cards any more", but they won't. We've already seen pictures of them.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Ask the guy above - he brought it up saying the 1080 was faster.

It is in some games.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well it's the typical time frame from reference to custom so why would the situation be any different this time around?

From what I've seen the AIB partners already have their solutions made. It's a bit different this time because of the price of the reference card.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well considering that I just had a flame war with him a few days ago on how he was comparing the Fury X to the 1080 without thinking how the Fury is a gen behind and claiming that polaris 10 will at tops have the processing power of a 380x...this is a genuine surprise :P 

Anyone comparing the 1080 to a FuryX is a very confused person. Only time it would be remotely reasonable to do so would be if there was a huge delay on the Polaris cards.

5 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

From what I've seen the AIB partners already have their solutions made. It's a bit different this time because of the price of the reference card.

Anyone comparing the 1080 to a FuryX is a very confused person. Only time it would be remotely reasonable to do so would be if there was a huge delay on the Polaris cards.

Fair enough I guess 

Indeed, def true (especially when polaris is rumored to be released at the end of this month)

So dual OCed 980's are faster than a 1080. Good job nvidia, such performance gain.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

1 minute ago, Dr_Pleeper said:

So dual OCed 980's are faster than a 1080. Good job nvidia, such performance gain.

Well that's depend on the game, because fuck dual cards right? Screw customers who pay for something twice. But yeah. The 980 SLI will usually be better. As dual 660ti technically beat a 780 (at least on launch).

7 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

Back on topic. The 1080 still outperforms the 980Ti and 980s in SLI by a considerable margin for the same price.

Dual 980 OC is faster in firestrike system overall by 1000 points. It's even faster than 1080 OC.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

I'd just like to state that I'm enjoying this very much :)

And that at this rate I'll reach 2000 posts before June.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

And we have a test with the first aftermarket cooler, the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV.

GTX-1080-mit-Accelero-Xtreme-IV-2-pcgh

GTX-1080-mit-Accelero-Xtreme-IV-7-pcgh-e

He managed to get 2.1 GHz while sitting at 50 C on an open bench.

What he says is that the card has a different problem, and that is capping the power limit of 1 8-pin connector in heavy OCs (if you understand german he says that at the end of the video). Seems like the custom cards might (or rather have to) come with more pins to solve this (speculations). Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Don't be @Moonzy :P 

Why shouldn't him? And are you stating there's something wrong with Moonzy?