First GTX 1080 Review is HERE!

FirstArmada
1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

Going from 28 to 16 seems pretty similar to going from 48 to 28. Not to mention, who cares? As a consumer, it's over a 60% improvement over what you could buy for around the same price last month....

current price of GTX 980 369 USD

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9804gd5ocv1

Price of GTX 1080 at "launch" 699

Difference: 330 USD... sure, about the same price.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

It's not a straight up lie... They said that the founders card is $700 and aftermarket is $600. There will be aftermarket shortly after the founders launch. Where is the lie?

We'll have to see how much time shortly means, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a while (and then I still think Nvidia misled people by stating $600 MSRP and not having $600 cards available at launch). But at least I'm getting the sentiment from this post that a lot of LTTers wouldn't buy the card at $700. It's not that the price / performance is terrible at that price.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Fair enough. It sucks that they do it, but I think it's mostly driven by consumers who are eager to make up their mind before they ever see the product in action. But to each their own.

I'm still pretty excited for the 1080, as well as to see what AMD comes out with soon. Going to be a good fight.

Far too much of that going on here.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Actually - it's 30% improvement over the 980 Ti as the 980 is MUCH cheaper at 450$

Yeah.. It's $450 now because the 1080 is coming out and is over a 60% improvement. The 980 was $550 USD on launch. And it outperforms the more expensive 980ti by 30%.

Yeah.. It's $450 now because the 1080 is coming out and is over a 60% improvement. The 980 was $550 USD on launch. And it outperforms the more expensive 980ti by 30%.

Erm. 980 Ti si the same price or lower.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

current price of GTX 980 369 USD

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9804gd5ocv1

Price of GTX 1080 at "launch" 699

Difference: 330 USD... sure, about the same price.

Yeah. Now that they've dropped the price because of the 1080. You think the price of the 980 would have dropped by that much if the 1080 was only a 20% improvement over the 980, and on par with the 980ti? And I think it's stupid that nVidia is charging $699 for the reference, but let's not play dumb and understand that the 1080 is going to be $599.

Just now, Prysin said:

Last month the 980 was being found for about $430, and the 1080 will be around $600 for aftermarket ones. Still not around the same amount, that's a sizeable leap. But instead of comparing x80 to xx80, let's try comparing flagship to flagship, 980ti to 1080... Well... It performs better. Quite a bit better. The 980ti can be found for $530 right now, and last month you were finding it for about $565. I would say that's a much more direct comparison

So x80 to xx80, no. It's not the same. It performs a TON better, but it should for that price. Flagship to flagship is much more sensible, a fairly large performance for a bit more.

Now if/when the 1080ti launches, this story will change entirely. Then it's x80 vs xx80, and ti vs ti. But it hasn't launched yet. 

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They didn't mislead people. They made it very VERY clear that aftermarket was $600, and founders was $700. I wouldn't buy it at $700, no. I would buy it at $600. (I won't because I'm waiting 1 more generation, but still)

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Anywhere from the same price (if you can find a good deal), or ~$50 more for most basic ones. At a 30% increase in performance, the 1080 is seeming like a pretty good deal for the same price still.

MSRP of the GTX 980 was lowered from 549 USD (LauncH) to  499 USD (September/October 2015?) to 449 USD back in Feburary or March.

Its not "450 now because the 1080 is coming out". It has been 450 FOR SOME TIME. Obviously to try empty the stocks PRE 1080 launch. But it aint going to drop much more.

Any further drop in GTX 980 prices is purely due to retailers trying to get rid of stock, and are sacrificing their own margins to do so.

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

What? 980 ti can be found for $535. It costs $1070 (heh) to SLI 980ti's unless you go used.

4 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

Yeah. Now that they've dropped the price because of the 1080. You think the price of the 980 would have dropped by that much if the 1080 was only a 20% improvement over the 980, and on par with the 980ti? And I think it's stupid that nVidia is charging $699 for the reference, but let's not play dumb and understand that the 1080 is going to be $599.

I'm theorizing that the reference cooler costs as much as it does is because Nvidia used to partner with best buy to sell Nvidia branded cards exclusively but now I believe you can buy the founders edition directly from Nvidia. So Best Buy is no longer subsidizing its exclusivity. That and Nvidia knows people like their reference coolers so undoubtedly they will tack on a premium.

Just now, Kimmers said:

It's probably more because they don't want to piss off their aftermarket partners by providing an option within their standard price-range...

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

MSRP of the GTX 980 was lowered from 549 USD (LauncH) to  499 USD (September/October 2015?) to 449 USD back in Feburary or March.

Its not "450 now because the 1080 is coming out". It has been 450 FOR SOME TIME. Obviously to try empty the stocks PRE 1080 launch. But it aint going to drop much more.

Any further drop in GTX 980 prices is purely due to retailers trying to get rid of stock, and are sacrificing their own margins to do so.

33% more for a card that is 60-70% faster is still seeming like a good deal to me. Hardly "disappointing".

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

It's probably more because they don't want to piss off their aftermarket partners by providing an option within their standard price-range...

This, as well as NVIDIA claiming that they're using much higher quality components versus... well, I assume previous reference designs or suggested designs for AIB partners.

Although they're using higher quality components, they're still not using binned chips, so...

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

33% more for a card that is 60-70% faster is still seeming like a good deal to me. Hardly "disappointing".

holy snicker is the 1080ti already out? cause im not seeing those numbers :)

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Yeeeah I call bullshit. They're probably just referring to metal vs plastic.

1 minute ago, Spectrez said:

holy snicker is the 1080ti already out? cause im not seeing those numbers :)

Maybe you should check out the benchmarks posted all over this thread... Compared to the 980, not the 980ti.

2 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

well you can fawn over it all you want. I still think it is bad value for now.

At $700, I agree. At $600? Looks pretty damn good for $600, which won't take too long to be available.

Let's look at some price / performance numbers straight from benchmarks / pcpartpicker. I'll take the cheapest 980 / 980 Ti in the US and compare them.

MSI GTX 980 - 58% performance (1/1.7) - $395 US = 6.175 Dollars / Percent Performance (6.29 after MIR)

MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming LE - 76% performance (1/1.3) - $565 US = 7.345 Dollars / Percent Performance (6.955 after MIR)

Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders - 100% performance - $700 US = 7 Dollars / Percent Performance (6 for non-founders)

Looking at hard numbers, the 1080 reference has about the same price / performance as Maxwell. This would make sense since Maxwell cards lowered their prices to match it. Only at the promised price point of $600 does it provide a price / performance that beats the GTX 980 after MIR.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Maybe you should check out the benchmarks posted all over this thread... Compared to the 980, not the 980ti.

there is also posts in the thread saying the 980 can be bought for around half the price, so that would mean twice the price for 60%-70% performance

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

well you can fawn over it all you want. I still think it is bad value for now.

You can ignore logic and have your subjective opinion all you want, but objectively it is actually a much better value. 60% extra performance for an extra 33% cost, or 30% extra performance for 0% extra cost.

2 minutes ago, Spectrez said:

there is also posts in the thread saying the 980 can be bought for around half the price, so that would mean twice the price for 60%-70% performance

Link to new 980 for $300 USD plz?

You can ignore logic and have your subjective opinion all you want, but objectively it is actually a much better value. 60% extra performance for an extra 33% cost, or 30% extra performance for 0% extra cost.

It's not 60$ more than a 980 Ti :D  and it costs 60% more than a 980

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6