Starbreeze and Acer to form joint venture for the StarVR headset

Acer to team up with Starbreeze to help further develop the StarVR HMD

The two companies aim to cooperate on the design, manufacturing, promotion, marketing and sales of the StarVR HMD to the professional- and location-based entertainment market.

I was hoping for a consumer version of this HMD but it seems to me that they at first at least will take aim at the proffessional market.
They previously also announced that they this summer/autum would open a VR arcade called StarCade in L.A. which sounds really interessting and a nice space to showcase what it can do for a normal consumer. The specs are quite impressive with dual quad HD displays and 210deg fov which will take some power to run for sure (though they have teamed up with a swedish eyetracking company (Tobii) for eyetracking and foveated rendering which could be helpful if not necessary). 
Teaming up with Acer seems like a good idea (it kinda looks like something out of the predator series already), was wondering how they would deal with manufacturing and all that since they as a company havn't done hardware before. Hope they bring it (maybe an updated version) to E3 this year so we can get some nice impressions.

http://www.starbreeze.com/2016/05/starbreeze-acer-form-joint-venture-starvr-headset/

40314.jpg

looks pretty good, hope its great so we can have some more competition on the market and so that the prices might drop more :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Cb4Vh7IUEAA2UeI.jpg

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

looks pretty good, hope its great so we can have some more competition on the market and so that the prices might drop more :)

lol what?

this is outside the league of any VR HMD released, announced or in design, there are no competitors for this product

and this product is not aimed at minimum spec for affordable VR, it's the real deal $1500+, but a lower price tag would be welcome for sure.

))) anyhow I'm excited for the forthcoming release of this product as well, been following it since it was first demoed last year

in my eyes there's only two relevant products in VR HMD market - StarVR and OSVR, well if we get some more flexible hardware options for OSVR then that would make StarVR kind of redundant...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

this is what i'm waiting for. the resolution on the oculus and vive is too dam small for vr.

Yuck. Well I hope it sucks just like Payday does these days after they nuked it. No way I'd trust anything from those guys ever again.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

3 hours ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Yuck. Well I hope it sucks just like Payday does these days after they nuked it. No way I'd trust anything from those guys ever again.

Wp02X52.jpg

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

12 hours ago, M4st4M1nd said:

I seriously don't understand why developers/publishers/companies can't do one thing wrong without them being punished for it way after. 
They handled the situation badly from the start with non transparent communication, which they've sinced talked about extensivle with the community. It's not like they havn't learnt from this misstake. Wether you think it was a grandiose misstake or not leading to you loosing trust in them I would give them the chance to win it back, not just with Starbreeze but with any company. 
This topic here isn't even about a game, it's about a VR HMD and I don't see what it has to do with what has happend with Payday.

I'd love to see how this VRcade stuff will work out. Like giant rooms with omnidirectional treadmill flooring and epic surround setups. It's a holodeck!

Welp

Calling it now, starvr has a long long way to go. Looks promising but I doubt we will see anything starting to come to consumer market for at least 4 years. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

39 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Calling it now, starvr has a long long way to go. Looks promising but I doubt we will see anything starting to come to consumer market for at least 4 years. 

Consumer side? Could be - I think it'll primarily depend on a few factors, including how well their Commercial units do, how they perform in comparison to the leading VR headsets (Vive, Oculus, PSVR), and how GPU's are able to keep up with acceptable performance numbers.

They want to have a VR Arcade setup in 2017 - if that's a hit, I could easily see them having a consumer version ready in less than 3 years.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Consumer side? Could be - I think it'll primarily depend on a few factors, including how well their Commercial units do, how they perform in comparison to the leading VR headsets (Vive, Oculus, PSVR), and how GPU's are able to keep up with acceptable performance numbers.

They want to have a VR Arcade setup in 2017 - if that's a hit, I could easily see them having a consumer version ready in less than 3 years.

I'm mainly concerned about performance. Frankly, the only thing starvr has over the current leading vr headsets is resolution and fov; everything else is subpar. By the time the research and development for starvr has conceived consumer grade hardware, HTC/Steam, Facebook, and Sony will have likely already developed something similar or better. However, all of this is bottlenecked by the average consumer's pc. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.