Microsoft is increasing promoted apps in Anniversary Update

GoodBytes

From WinHEC event, Microsoft reveals that it will increase the number of promoted apps (the apps that aren't installed (unless clicked on), but displayed in the start menu when you install Windows 10 or I guess in this case, upgrade to the new update), form 5 to 10.

But the number of Microsoft apps that will be pinned to the Start Menu when you first start up Windows 10 on a new or reinstalled machine is dropping from 17 down to 12.  BUT WAIT!!!!!

Before you freak out: This applies to OEMs.

WinBeta says:

[This] appears to apply to how OEMs can configure machines in the out of box experience, or OOBE, and how machines will look when Windows 10 is reinstalled from scratch. This isn’t how machines will appear once the Anniversary Update is applied, which was implied in the original version.

And Neowin believes that this applies to new installs only, and waiting for Microsoft to clarifies:

To be more clear, based on the slides, this should only apply to fresh installs of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. We have reached out to Microsoft to confirm this but at this time, haven't received a response.

6_capture_story.jpg

Microsoft is said to be doing so, to attract more people to discover the App Store, and increase the interest of developer to make or port Apps to the store, which Microsoft wants as it promotes the Universal App platform, which means more apps available for XBox One, HoloLens, Tablets running Windows 10, and Windows 10 Mobile devices, reducing its app gap. And also for OEMs to have more spots for ads apps.

Microsoft clarifies that these apps can be indeed uninstalled or unpinned by the user. And for businesses, the promoted apps can be disabled via Group Policy, much like right now.

capture3_story.jpg

It must be noted that these apps varies between regions, manufacture, and you may have less apps.

Source 1: http://www.neowin.net/news/like-seeing-promoted-apps-in-the-start-menu-youll-love-the-windows-10-anniversary-update

Source 2: http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-anniversary-update-increase-number-promote-apps-displayed

Assuming more apps does display for everyone, if such change is coming, Universal Apps can also be uninstalled cleaned due to their sandboxed nature. Meaning, once uninstalled or unpin, you will have no trace of it on your system. So these apps doesn't slow down our PC, bloat it up, or any of that.

pls stop. i dont use the windows store and never plan do and i dont have a windows account connected to my pc. dont waste my screen space with your useless apps.

Just don't have them fucking take up my RAM and don't pin them to my Start Menu. I don't even have Solitaire installed and it eats 15MB of RAM. Same with the 'Get Office' and 'Get Skype' apps.

Im fine with this as long as the app choice s are tailored to my usage or preference. Maybe some games. And it's only two clicks away from unpinning anyway,same like uninstalling any Universal Apps. 

Btw that reduced number of pinned apps,is that in general or after excluding the promoted apps?

16 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Just don't have them fucking take up my RAM and don't pin them to my Start Menu. I don't even have Solitaire installed and it eats 15MB of RAM. Same with the 'Get Office' and 'Get Skype' apps.

It doesn't consume any RAM if you don't run them, like any software in your computer.

That said, it would be nice if the "Get Office" and "Get Skype" disappears forever if you have them.

OEMs are always going to bury your system in bloatware, so I guess this isn't the end of the world. I do wish Microsoft wasn't helping them though. It's like enabling a drug addict.

its getting worse little by little, while essential problems are still not fixed, bite me

basically 90%+ of the Store apps are rubbish, bloated useless pieces of UWP code that are inferior to programs from many years ago, they just look pretty

and to make matters worse like most US based crap the prices are based off USA economy, hence i cant buy anything in there, not that id want to anyway

all these retarded apps too labeled free, pro mode cost 3-4$, ad free 1 years 3-4$ more get the fuck out 

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It doesn't consume any RAM if you don't run them, like any software in your computer.

That said, it would be nice if the "Get Office" and "Get Skype" disappears forever if you have them.

But it does. I could show you if I hadn't already uninstalled them.

7 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

But it does. I could show you if I hadn't already uninstalled them.

Not unless you run them. If you open Task Manager you can clearly see that they aren't running.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Not unless you run them. If you open Task Manager you can clearly see that they aren't running.

They don't take up CPU usage but they still take up RAM.

56 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

In RAM means that it uses the CPU to some level, as it is a running program (process).

But, I am not saying that. I am saying it consumes 0 RAM, as its not being loaded into RAM.

cant wait till the end of the upgrade offer, to see how far Microsoft will push the ads to get their money back.

2 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Are you confusing RAM and Storage (Eg: HDD or SSD)?

A program that is not loaded into memory (eg: Is not running) does not take up any RAM. Some programs have background tasks or services that are running in memory even when the main program isn't open, but that's completely different from just a pinned program on the Start Menu.

You'll have to post a source, if you want people to take your claim seriously.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In RAM means that it uses the CPU to some level, as it is a running program (process).

But, I am not saying that. I am saying it consumes 0 RAM, as its not being loaded into RAM.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Are you confusing RAM and Storage (Eg: HDD or SSD)?

A program that is not loaded into memory (eg: Is not running) does not take up any RAM. Some programs have background tasks or services that are running in memory even when the main program isn't open, but that's completely different from just a pinned program on the Start Menu.

You'll have to post a source, if you want people to take your claim seriously.

He is actually right.

Things like Solitaire Collection actually starts and gets loaded into RAM as soon as you start the PC. You can see it if you open up task manager and then show more details.

Right now here is how much the different programs (that I have not started) uses.

Calculator: 0.4MB

Solitaire Collection: 0.3MB

Settings: 0.3MB

Store: 0.4MB

It's not that big of a deal since they use very little, but saying that they use 0 RAM is just flat out false.

and @GoodBytes, a suspended process is a process that is loaded into RAM, but is not being processed by the CPU (as in, the CPU won't touch the process anymore).

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

He is actually right.

Things like Solitaire Collection actually starts and gets loaded into RAM as soon as you start the PC. You can see it if you open up task manager and then show more details.

Right now here is how much the different programs (that I have not started) uses.

Calculator: 0.4MB

Solitaire Collection: 0.3MB

Settings: 0.3MB

Store: 0.4MB

It's not that big of a deal since they use very little, but saying that they use 0 RAM is just flat out false.

Hmm, that sounds like a bug in Windows (Or in Solitaire). There is no practical purpose for it to be loaded into Memory.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Hmm, that sounds like a bug in Windows (Or in Solitaire). There is no practical purpose for it to be loaded into Memory.

I am not sure why Solitaire gets loaded whenever you start Windows, but Metro apps not releasing their memory is intended behavior. They will be kept in memory in order to speed things up. When Windows detects that you are getting low on RAM it will start expunging suspended Metro apps.

It is kind of off-topic though, since programs won't be loaded into RAM from just being pinned on the start menu. More "promoted apps" (or let's call them what they really are, ads) should not lead to more programs being loaded into RAM.

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

OEMs are always going to bury your system in bloatware, so I guess this isn't the end of the world.

I've never bought a Mac that had bloatware.... ;):P 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Once I get home, I'll install Solitaire, reboot, and see.

If I see nothing, I'll start it (for a first run), and reboot my system once again, and see if it startups.

The only item I see running on the back, is Alarm, and Groove Music, but that is because they are set to run in the background.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am not sure why Solitaire gets loaded whenever you start Windows, but Metro apps not releasing their memory is intended behavior. They will be kept in memory in order to speed things up. When Windows detects that you are getting low on RAM it will start expunging suspended Metro apps.

When you Close a Universal Apps, it does like smartphones, it puts it under suspended state, it doesn't actually close it. We saw this with Windows 8.x with Modern UI apps, and will free it if you need memory. Some argue that it should be working like this for everything (all software), and of course others argue against it.

The advantage is clearly obvious, like you said:

-> Starts faster when you need it again

And people will argue that, RAM is meant to be used, and with this model, if you need the RAM, Windows will free it. RAM is so fast, the OS can free RAM well before anything happen. RAM isn't storage space. Some would argue that every software you install should be loaded in RAM, especially that RAM is so cheap these days, and will continue to be so. Already we have system with 8GB of RAM, that are inexpensive, and most users don't even come close in using 4-5GB. And many here have 16GB of RAM if not more...

So basically they're replacing 5 of the pre-installed apps with promoted/suggested tiles? Isn't that a good thing?

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

If one sees adds, they're doing it wrong. :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |