Can we please just get off topic threads back in recent topics?

minibois
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

It's not being bought back in as first and foremost this is a tech forum - the number of threads appearing in off topic can quickly outnumber things like troubleshooting or and of the other smaller subforums.

It was removed in the forum update I think, for some reason. Now threads in the sub forum get a whole lot less replies right away, or even none if nobody bumps it. 

In my opinion that makes it less compelling for people to post there. I have thought a few times of posting in General Discussion instead of the proper Off topic, just because of this.

If you don't want to change it, it's fine with me.. but at least tell me why threads from one of the most popular sub forums don't get displayed in recent topics anymore?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Maybe the moderators dont think it really represents a tech forum? I dunno but a lot of odd questions are posed there and maybe the train of thought is to keep it tech related to new users or something of that nature. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

i believe it should be on recent topics too as some topics arent tech related but somehow interesting lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

Maybe the moderators dont think it really represents a tech forum? I dunno but a lot of odd questions are posed there and maybe the train of thought is to keep it tech related to new users or something of that nature. 

Well member reviews isn't always 100% relevant to tech, but it still gets shown in the recent topics section? (For example I saw a desk chair review in there)

If that is the reason, I don't think it's a very valid one, as many sub forums are often or always not relevant to everybody (such as the F@H or Star Citizen sub forums are not relevant to most people here)

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i believe it should be on recent topics too as some topics arent tech related but somehow interesting lol

Often they have at least a bit of relevancy to tech, as mods in the past have often locked off topic thread that have NOTHING to do with tech (on the basis of that it is not relevant to the audience of this forum.. even though it's off topic). Many topics are not even THAT far away from whatever else is posted on this forum (Like the Linus memes thread, show off your latest purchase, etc.)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There was more users requesting removing those than wanting to keep them. And you can make activity stream to monitor just off topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Meh,

this is a tech forum. off topic is mostly segregated from the rest of the forum

off topic is not killing the activity in the forum, if anything it is making it more focused, so you actually only see tech related threads now.

I personally couldn't care what someone had for breakfast or what car someone wants to buy. If you get my drift.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

It wasn't meant to be in there originally however due to IPB3 limitations it had to be left showing all.

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There was more users requesting removing those than wanting to keep them. And you can make activity stream to monitor just off topic.

I often go through the sub forum myself, problem is many other probably don't (can't blame them) so having the topics in recent topics would actually give many threads there more attention

4 hours ago, No said:

Meh,

this is a tech forum. off topic is mostly segregated from the rest of the forum

2 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

off topic is not killing the activity in the forum, if anything it is making it more focused, so you actually only see tech related threads now.

I personally couldn't care what someone had for breakfast or what car someone wants to buy. If you get my drift.

Many posts still are slightly tech related and threads in there have to be, as I said earlier, at least somewhat be relevant to the audience here (because threads have been locked in the past because of this), but I dunno.

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

It wasn't meant to be in there originally however due to IPB3 limitations it had to be left showing all.

So it's not coming back because people complained it's not always tech related stuff?

I think it should go back not because of the interesting questions, but because every time I or someone else posts there it has an extremely slim chance of getting any replies as no one looks at it.

It's not being bought back in as first and foremost this is a tech forum - the number of threads appearing in off topic can quickly outnumber things like troubleshooting or and of the other smaller subforums.

15 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

yup, btw: do you guys have any plans on adding a "recently replied to" section? (i know they most recently replied to thread of every subforum is on the front page, but a list would be nicer :)

I agree with this issue, I've posted several VMware posts in software with no reply... I dont what the solution is but I think Sub threads are can be more of a disadvantage than an asset.

21 hours ago, mikat said:

yup, btw: do you guys have any plans on adding a "recently replied to" section? (i know they most recently replied to thread of every subforum is on the front page, but a list would be nicer :)

Activity streams allow you to do that

HTTP/2 203