Purpose of a 2nd computer?

It's all in the title. Im just curious.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Tons of reasons, you could have one for work and another for gaming. One for you and a second for kids to use is another reason. Some people have their main computer and a second more compact computer for LAN events.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Sometimes I build second computers and sell them to friends who want gaming PC's. The "second PC" in my sig is actually not mine, its one I just sold to a friend. I am also going to sell my scrapyard PC to a friend once its complete. Mostly just because building PC's is fun. I would probably keep them around for BOINC and Folding@Home if I had the money, however I don't, so I usually build a PC, sell it, then get just enough to build another and keep repeating it.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

1. To have a server on a diffrent computer.

2. Use it to stream games to like twitch/YT gaming.

3. Have a super low powred machine that you could use to stream games to the living room.

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Sometimes I build second computers and sell them to friends who want gaming PC's. The "second PC" in my sig is actually not mine, its one I just sold to a friend. I am also going to sell my scrapyard PC to a friend once its complete. Mostly just because building PC's is fun. I would probably keep them around for BOINC and Folding@Home if I had the money, however I don't, so I usually build a PC, sell it, then get just enough to build another and keep repeating it.

Do you earn money that way?

well, as someone with more "own" computers than most families...

- main rig, doing the do

- main laptop for office stuff

- "nightly" laptop, because everything except the display sucks about it (the other laptop's display sucks, but good enough for a text editor, and DAT 10 hour battery life)

- my home server thats a frankensteined prebuilt

- old rig for add-in card testing under windows, soon-ish gonna be my "workbench" pc, when i'm bothered fixing it up.

- old rig specificly for hard drive maintenance, which i do under linux, and on a distro that requires minimal maintenance because it *honestly* only fires up once every month.

- my "PiModore" running as my media center. (raspberry pi based "computer" built into a wooden box with a keyboard on top)

EDIT: oh, and i'm gonna be experimenting with using my home server as an encoding workhorse for livestreaming.

Overclocking

Gaming

Server

F@H

When friends come over

Rendering machine

Editing Machine

there are tons of things you can do,.

5 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

You can sign up at EVGA's F@H team and earn some 10 EVGA bucks/year

4 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Not really, sometimes I actually lose money..my friends usually want to pay less than the computer is worth and I don't really want to argue with them too much..if they weren't my friends I might try to haggle with them a bit to make a profit, but most people usually just buy from Alienware or CyberPowerPC if they don't want to build one themselves (even though its a terrible deal they still feel more comfortable buying from a large(ish) company).

I still enjoy building computers enough to take the $20-$50 or so loss and to help a friend out. 

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

I have the pc "Maelstrom" in my sig, theres no HDD inside but I might want to repurpose it, I just dont know what for... Its also alot bigger than my current case, so yeah.

I've considered building a NUC alongside my upcoming build so that I can have a hackintosh and have something a little more different than a laptop to use if my desktop is ever occupied by something else. Or if I wanted to stream and my desktop wasn't fast enough. (Not sure how well an i5 6600K would be for streaming if that's what I wanted to do).

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, refinedskillz said:

I have the pc "Maelstrom" in my sig, theres no HDD inside but I might want to repurpose it, I just dont know what for... Its also alot bigger than my current case, so yeah.

I would get a $15 HDD off eBay and use it for either Folding@Home or an extra PC for playing with a friend.

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I've considered building a NUC alongside my upcoming build so that I can have a hackintosh and have something a little more different than a laptop to use if my desktop is ever occupied by something else. Or if I wanted to stream and my desktop wasn't fast enough. (Not sure how well an i5 6600K would be for streaming if that's what I wanted to do).

What do you mean by streaming? Are you talking about like Steam in-home streaming?

here is what i have:

Main rig: everything that i can do when im at my desk, and what i take to LAN parties

Main laptop: a shitty little laptop i use for school work, tho im getting rid of it after summer because im getting an awesome one from the Highschool im going to atend :D (970 and an i7 :D )

awesome old burnt out buggy pice of shit laptop: used for when people come to my house without a PC and want to 1v1 me or something in CS:GO or other similar stuff, also happens to be magical and wont start without a battery in it(tho the battery is destroyed lol, it was on for 2 years without ever beeing turned off and i played a lot of games on it)

and then there is the experiment pile of hardware on my floor that i try to make something out of almost every week but fail because im missing something that i cant afford, ie processor, gpu, other shit.

and then there was the planed LAN pc that went down the shit can the second i saw the MSRP of the 1070, now im getting one of those instead lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, RyanMacRocks said:

What do you mean by streaming? Are you talking about like Steam in-home streaming?

Live streaming to like Youtube or Twitch.

Though that kind of streaming is an option too if you build a second PC.

Just now, wcreek said:

Live streaming to like Youtube or Twitch.

Oh, ok, I feel stupid now XD. What (games) are you planning on streaming? A 6600K should be more than enough for streaming with a capture card while gaming, as for streaming without a capture card it would probably work fine for just streaming something like the WAN show but I'm not sure about gaming without a capture card.

1 minute ago, RyanMacRocks said:

Oh, ok, I feel stupid now XD. What (games) are you planning on streaming? A 6600K should be more than enough for streaming with a capture card while gaming, as for streaming without a capture card it would probably work fine for just streaming something like the WAN show but I'm not sure about gaming without a capture card.

Well no, you weren't completely wrong. I'm not sure I actually would livestream games/gameplay. Just saying that if I did technically a second build might come in handy.

your main computer for gaming/work

and one with 2 titan x's for 6 dimensional turtlehub.com to wank off too

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

I have a desktop which I use most of the time and my Laptop which I use for school mostly. Or when Im going to be away for extended periods. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have 5 PCs, they are all used one way or another... why would you stick to 1 PC? Just curious ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

1 minute ago, Jon1764 said:

I personally do not see the point of having multiple desktop PC's. I have 1 desktop for gaming and work (main rig). I have a laptop (MBP) for working on the go (secondary machine, only for work), and I have a Mini PC (Z-BOX) as a small server for torrents (so I don't need to have my power hungry rig running 24/7 to seed torrents).

OP never said "desktop", he said "PC", a laptop, a NAS, a HTPC and even a Windows tablet can be considered PCs. That's why I said I have 5 PCs (desktop, laptop, NAS, HTPC and a Win8 tablet)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I have my secondary PC as part of a standing desk setup, and then my Chromebook for...word processing mainly.

Sig under construction.

I have 3 with another 2 coming soon. Laptop for work/pleasure on the go. Rig sig for work/play soon to be only play. Server for work. Within the next couple months I will be purchasing a work 5960x/titanX (might be dual xeon still working out the details) build as well as a onsite backup server. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz