DeWalt now making smartphones?

Stryder721

DeWalt, the same company that produces the beloved power tools that everyone uses has decided to jump into the smartphone market with producing the MD501. DeWalt well not be manufacturing the phone itself, but instead manufacturing will be handled through Global Mobile Communications. The phone itself is rated for ip68 (Meaning the phone can be in up to two meters of water for thirty minutes). The phone can also withstand 810G or much more simply put the phone can fall 2 meters onto concrete and be a ok. The phone is also designed to work in temperatures from -20 degrees to 60 degrees centigrade. No LTE support in america.

Specs

1.3Ghz Processor

2GB of ram

5in 720p Display

13 Megapixel camera and 5MP selfie camera

3,950 mAh battery with support for Qi wireless charging
Running android 5.1

Dual Sim slots 

expandable memory up to 64gb

wifi b/g/n
bluetooth 4.0

Dewalt also adds an amplified speakerphone to help keep speakerphone calls clear even at noisy job-sites. The phone is expected to launch with a $544 price tag on it. No launch date yet, it appears

56bcda272cc69d4e691c2283_dewalt-phone-front-2.png

^Above picture is taken from DeWalt's site 

56c413b65f4a7cf431e4da39_slide-6.jpg

^The back of the phone

"DeWalt's first smartphone looks like the love child of an iPhone and a power drill" <--Coudn't have said it better, Quote from The Verge

Dewalt's page http://dewaltphones.com/ 

The verge's article http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/22/11489642/dewalt-md501-rugged-smartphone

Construction Junkie's article http://www.constructionjunkie.com/blog/2016/4/21/dewalt-set-to-release-their-first-ever-rugged-smartphone

That's what it reminded me of as well, but it is pretty cool seeing other companies making smartphones. Wonder if more companies will jump in on this?

The same shit as Cat.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

3 minutes ago, kuzimins said:

The same shit as Cat.

People always complain about their phones braking and bad battery life.
Now they get a 3950mAh battery in a phone that is almost as rugged as a old Nokia and they still complain.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

that is almost as rugged as a old Nokia

Almost xD they still have yet to learn the secrets of nokia, and their indestructible phones

Tbh I'd rather buy the Cat S60, I think it looks much better. Now we need to wait for Bosch smartphone. xD

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Stryder721 said:

Almost xD they still have yet to learn the secrets of nokia, and their indestructible phones

It's like they invented the Crysis Nanosuit, but for phones... :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

People always complain about their phones braking and bad battery life.
Now they get a 3950mAh battery in a phone that is almost as rugged as a old Nokia and they still complain.

There's much more than a good battery to make a good phone.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

5 minutes ago, kuzimins said:

There's much more than a good battery to make a good phone.

And still you called it shit.
There is more to it than just its appearance.

6 minutes ago, Stryder721 said:

While both Cat and DeWalt may achieve a new level of indestructible, I have yet to see a phone that can be used for so many things as Nokia 3310. xD

NokiaRiot.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Now we need a Craftsman, Bosch, Kobalt, Stanley, Black&Decker (Black&Decker owns Dewalt btw), Snap-on, etc........

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Regardless of ruggedness or not, those phone specs, for its price and durability, are total crap XD! Most phones with an Otterbox Defender, will be almost as tough. Im saying this for those who are thinking of buying this sluggish concrete phone, over a real smartphone lal.

Groomlake Authority

Lets just make a phone out of the new ( more like 15 months ago ) magnesium based ish metal that is like titanium but lighter for the case and crystal clear diamonds for the screen and make an indestructible phone already.

I like the industrial look though I think the Cat S60 has a bit more style while still having industrial look. Can't be the only one who hates the smooth, rounded edges, simplistic looks that all phones are going towards today.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The next big thing is going to be large companies trying to get in on the giant consumer market of smartphones. The one thing I can't wait for is the Dyson smartphone, I would scoop that off real quick

The best powertools from my experience are from Feestool. If they would make a phone i bet it would be even tougher than nokia.