Apple's Product Lineup. WTAF is going on?

Laptop:

Macbook - this is an experiment for USB Type C and fanless processors, both of which will eventually come to their more mainstream laptops. 

Macbook Air - I'm not sure where this lays any more. It is less powerful than than the Pro, yet has a worse screen/keyboard/Trackpad than the Macbook, and the 13" is actually bigger than the 13" Macbook Pro - the only advantage it is thinner... which... yay?

Macbook Pro with Retina - Powerful, good screen and really light/well built. Cheap and comparable to the cost of high end ultrabooks running Windows. 

Macbook Pro without retina - WTF is this? A crappy old 2008 machine thats worse than the air but costs more? Shame on you apple. For £100 more you can get the retina which adds SOOOO much. Shame. Shame.

I think they need to re-organise things. The Air needs that retina screen and new trackpad/keyboard to allow for for battery space and then the Pro should remain the powerhouse. Get rid of the 'macbook' again.

I currently own a MBPr and wouldn't trade it for a Windows machine any time soon. Having been repeatedly burned by Microsoft's Surface (RT, Pro 2 and Pro 3) I really appreciate Apple's hardware/software unity and ability to stretch out performance and battery life, something bizarrely MS couldn't do with it's own products. 

Desktop:

Mac Mini - again a mixed bag - it is certainly the cheapest way to 'break in' to the Apple ecosystem but as others have said the reduction in upgrade-ability have weakened the appeal. 

iMac - probably the best AIO you can get. Every Windows AIO i've seen seems to cut corners everywhere to get costs down/fit the machine together. Also the higher end ones can be used for very mainstream gaming and are good for most people's use. 

Mac Pro - Good for video rendering. It is built purely for these kind of tasks. I'm not sure the 'new' design is worth it - I would think most studios have enough space to fit a bigger more flexible machine. 

Desktops overall are good I think, I wish they would allow some upgrades and stick to more mainstream parts though. I have owned an iMac and thought as a 'family' PC it does very well - good enough at just about everything. 

iPhone:

6s - all features.

6sP - all features with a bigger screen.

SE - nearly all features (no 3D Touch) in a smaller screen. 

Again a good range catering to people's needs. Very un-apple who previously like to tell people what they need, but hey Tim needed a new suit this year.

iPad:

Mini - the poor unloved thing. I think people at Apple only talk about in sneers and hushed tones. Basically take the old Air guts and shove in the same 1st gen design. They are up to the 4th gen now and still don't care about it.

Air - possibly dead. The iPad Pro 9" pretty much usurped it and added a pencil. 

Pro - should have stuck to 12", keep it in it's own size category to separate from the smaller one. 

In my view the 9.7" Pro should be renamed the Air, and stay that way. Keep the largest 12" as the pro and Mini as it's own category. 3 categories, each one a different size. STOP CONFUSING PEOPLE APPLE!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

There was last generation. Oops. 

Nope. the 32GB went almost 3 years ago when they introduced the iPhone 6. 

Just now, daniielrp said:

Nope. the 32GB went almost 3 years ago when they introduced the iPhone 6. 

last generation = not the iphone 6

I don't count the "S" to be a generation, since it's just an upgrade to the iPhone before it. No other changes.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

last generation = not the iphone 6

I don't count the "S" to be a generation, since it's just an upgrade to the iPhone before it. No other changes.

There was a ridiculous amount of change under the hood to CPU, RAM, Storage and much more. Read Anandtech's review and you'll see. 

Edit: Also, every new iPhone is just an upgrade to the one before it. your rule makes no sense.

Just now, daniielrp said:

There was a ridiculous amount of change under the hood to CPU, RAM, Storage and much more. Read Anandtech's review and you'll see. 

It's called an opinion. Some people have them. I don't care about yours in the slightest, sorry.

Just now, Mantayd17 said:

I already said I did get the point. I was pointing out there was no 32 GB in the previous model at all.

Ah... basically if no design change it means it's not a generation? Do you even know how much better the 6s actually is compared to the 6? Am I wrong or did Linus award the 6s "best smartphone of the year 2015"? Last generation was the iPhone 6, get on with it.

one sec-

Just now, Kobathor said:

It's called an opinion. Some people have them. I don't care about yours in the slightest, sorry.

Already answered that question. And, "Best" is totally subjective, I hate iPhones. I know, shocking, some people have opinions other than yours. Crazy world we live in.

It's called an opinion

No it's called being factually incorrect. 

Edit: About the generation thing. 

Also, the 6s is actually a different design outward too - it uses a new alloy and it is physically thicker and bigger than the 6 to accommodate the semi-water-resistance. 

7 hours ago, wcreek said:

iPhone:
I still wouldn't buy it, at least right now. I think it has a lot to do with iOS of right now. As long as Google keeps up with the Material Design (or makes it even better) and doesn't revert to some of its other UI and UX languages from pre Jellybean it's all good, iOS I think will be inferior on the UI side for a while yet. Though a lot of people think that iPhones are spec for spec superior to Android phones and to an extent that can be true. The A9 SoC is quite fast, I mean the Exynos 7420 (and Snapdragon 810) trade blows one winning some things and losing others. iOS does make good use of only having 1 or 2GB of ram, but still that's not an excuse to not put in 3GB or so of RAM in. 

people who buy iphones mostly just care about how it looks, they don't actually know about most of the specs, of even whats inside their phone or even how computers work at all, that's why i hate that apple takes advantage of that and sells their shit overpriced as hell(overpriced more on the computers side, not phones as much ) 

33 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

people who buy iphones mostly just care about how it looks, they don't actually know about most of the specs, of even whats inside their phone or even how computers work at all, that's why i hate that apple takes advantage of that and sells their shit overpriced as hell(overpriced more on the computers side, not phones as much ) 

Yeah a lot of it is the fact that they just care about the looks of the phone or even the user friendly UI...

Though I've heard plenty of people say that they prefer Apple because it's got better specs or something.

Whenever I hear that I sort of chuckle because performance wise and spec wise iPhones are sort of in the dust. (Though the A9 and A9X are pretty good SoCs for being Dual Core chips) The last Apple SoC I used was the A4, that was on my iPod Touch.

Their computers are still pretty price competitive. Yeah it's more expensive than most laptops but you are paying for OS X and the Apple brand. 

My 32GB Galaxy S6 from Verizon retailed at about $576, it has better specs and performs about the same or better than an iPhone 6s.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

48 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Yeah a lot of it is the fact that they just care about the looks of the phone or even the user friendly UI...

Though I've heard plenty of people say that they prefer Apple because it's got better specs or something.

Whenever I hear that I sort of chuckle because performance wise and spec wise iPhones are sort of in the dust. (Though the A9 and A9X are pretty good SoCs for being Dual Core chips) The last Apple SoC I used was the A4, that was on my iPod Touch.

Their computers are still pretty price competitive. Yeah it's more expensive than most laptops but you are paying for OS X and the Apple brand. 

My 32GB Galaxy S6 from Verizon retailed at about $576, it has better specs and performs about the same or better than an iPhone 6s.

Don't forget the much better display and camera ..

And yeah i guess its more "user friendly" i get what you mean but what it really is is a lockdown from things you can do in terms of customization.

2 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

Don't forget the much better display and camera ..

And yeah i guess its more "user friendly" i get what you mean but what it really is is a lockdown from things you can do in terms of customization.

I'm specifically comparing the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6s.

Display wise, the Galaxy S6 wins hands down because it's using AMOLED

Camera wise it's a tie both are using good sensors though the Galaxy S6 has more functionality to its camera.

Yeah that's iOS for you, it doesn't have much customization and options for what you can do with and to the OS.

I don't like Touchwhiz, so I installed Google Now. It gives it that more stock Android/Nexus feel when you can't have a Nexus phone. iOS if I didn't like the look of the OS there's little to nothing I can do about it besides changing the wallpaper.

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I'm specifically comparing the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6s.

Display wise, the Galaxy S6 wins hands down because it's using AMOLED

Camera wise it's a tie both are using good sensors though the Galaxy S6 has more functionality to its camera.

Yeah that's iOS for you, it doesn't have much customization and options for what you can do with and to the OS.

I don't like Touchwhiz, so I installed Google Now. It gives it that more stock Android/Nexus feel when you can't have a Nexus phone. iOS if I didn't like the look of the OS there's little to nothing I can do about it besides changing the wallpaper.

i have most of my stuff customized, i have a custom made live wallpaper and everythng, which is why i love android so much, its amazing :P , and yeah basically the camera is better. 

I don't know WTH your bitching about Ipad for. There are a lot of people like myself who actually want a bigger ipad. It's actually quite comfortable to hold because it's STILL lighter than the Galaxy Note 12.2, as well as being a 4:3 aspect ratio so it's better balanced (the center of gravity) in the hand. Holding the Note in portrait mode sucks because it feels top heavy. Also those godamn capacitive buttons are always in the way and making my shit close.

As far as the Ipad pro being too big, some people feel that way and were hoping the AIR 3 would be a small pro. Guess what, that is what they got; as well as 32 GB being the base model. I think apple will finally listen and 32 will be the low end. 

I also think they are STARTING to listen , hence the small Ipad "pro".

As far as other products, I also have my gripes. 

The purpose of the mini is to get those price sensitive consumers using apple products. The Imac is too big a price jump for those wanting to try apple stuff.

BTW, no flaming intended sir, just debating that particular point with zest :D Sending this from my non apple gaming PC so no hate :D

4 hours ago, PeloyGeek said:

I've never really understood the hatred towards apple for selling a 'brand'. I never hear people bitch like this about expensive cars, watches, clothes or any other industry despite ferrari, rolex or Nike doing nothing really different at their core than ford, seiko or karrimor apart from 'looking nicer' and being a brand.

Weird huh.

6 minutes ago, royalcrown said:

Apple could've brought the Apple pencil to an updated iPad Air rather than basically ditching that name to make it essentially an iPad Pro Mini, since it doesn't have a name it sort of makes it awkward because when you say iPad Pro now, you're talking about either the 12" or 9.7" where as if you said iPad Air you knew it was a little different than the pro.

True, but it really is the updated Air except for the name. YES, they should've called it Air 3. I actually want the 12.9 for reading PDF's and A9 sized stuff like magazines. I'd pick the 64 GB Air 2 for taking places though, the price drop is too good compared to the "mini" pro.

4 minutes ago, royalcrown said:

True, but it really is the updated Air except for the name. YES, they should've called it Air 3. I actually want the 12.9 for reading PDF's and A9 sized stuff like magazines. I'd pick the 64 GB Air 2 for taking places though, the price drop is too good compared to the "mini" pro.

See yeah, I'd be more content with the screen size of the iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2/iPad Pro 9.7" "Mini"...

I guess I'll just have to hope for an updated Nexus 9, or like an Nexus 8. 

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

See yeah, I'd be more content with the screen size of the iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2/iPad Pro 9.7" "Mini"...

I guess I'll just have to hope for an updated Nexus 9, or like an Nexus 8. 

I always thought the mini was too small ! So what you want is a mini "mini Pro"...that is confusing ? lol

6 minutes ago, royalcrown said:

I always thought the mini was too small ! So what you want is a mini "mini Pro"...that is confusing ? lol

8" tablets I think are generally where it's at.

I wished that Apple would have the Apple Pencil on all their tablets and that the iPad Mini not be too left behind in terms of specs. It's fine if the 12" iPad has the fastest chip, the 9.7" iPad having the second fastest chip and then the iPad Mini having the same chip that's in the iPhones.

I kind of want to see either a Nexus 9 refresh or a replacement Nexus 8 with like a Snapdragon 808 or 820 (I don't think Google would use an Exynos 8890 (unfortunately)), 1440p AMOLED screen and 3.5GB of RAM and 32GB of standard storage. 

28 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

I've never really understood the hatred towards apple for selling a 'brand'. I never hear people bitch like this about expensive cars, watches, clothes or any other industry despite ferrari, rolex or Nike doing nothing really different at their core than ford, seiko or karrimor apart from 'looking nicer' and being a brand.

Weird huh.

How is that hatred? im just being honest

1 minute ago, PeloyGeek said:

5 hours ago, PeloyGeek said:

i hate that apple takes advantage of that and sells their shit overpriced

1 minute ago, daniielrp said:

doesn't really mean i hate the company..., thats just the truth

1 minute ago, PeloyGeek said:

doesn't really mean i hate the company..., thats just the truth

It sort of used to be. Not any more, every company is selling their products at 'apple' prices these days... :( 

9 minutes ago, wcreek said:

8" tablets I think are generally where it's at.

I wished that Apple would have the Apple Pencil on all their tablets and that the iPad Mini not be too left behind in terms of specs. It's fine if the 12" iPad has the fastest chip, the 9.7" iPad having the second fastest chip and then the iPad Mini having the same chip that's in the iPhones.

I kind of want to see either a Nexus 9 refresh or a replacement Nexus 8 with like a Snapdragon 808 or 820 (I don't think Google would use an Exynos 8890 (unfortunately)), 1440p AMOLED screen and 3.5GB of RAM and 32GB of standard storage. 

I agree that ALL the ipads should have pencil compatibility ! I'd just like to see a good android tablet with a full sized stylus, not crayon sized crap AND NO capacitive buttons at all.

4 minutes ago, PeloyGeek said:

I hear that, I like apple, own an Iphone as well as galaxy stuff. Apple still pisses me off as well. So does Samsung with their KNOX BS where rooting "breaks" your device and voids warranties.

3 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

yep.

2 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

It sort of used to be. Not any more, every company is selling their products at 'apple' prices these days... :( 

People think new "features" are worth it, meanwhile they don't even know the difference in displays or resolutions,but just think its better than android.

But oh well, i probably won't need a mac anytime soon, im happy with linux and windows, everyone can do their own thing in the end, its their money...