Brazil's Internet Regulations President says Online gaming ''wastes too much internet"

RicHaj
3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

All I know is that my ISP throttles me, or more accurately, disconnects me with fake ass DNS errors, whenever I stream videos or play games after 5pm.

In that case I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just a glut of people coming home and using their internet...it's going to overwhelm the connection if it hasn't been upgraded to meet the new demand. The same thing used to happen to our internet not too long ago but then AT&T either installed more wire or used a new data compression algorithm or something and the internet became better. Shortly thereafter they doubled our bandwidth and lowered the price.

2 hours ago, RicHaj said:

I would love to be able to locate hard data on that, just to actually have a real comparison on how much data Online games actually consume

I have a 3GB monthly data cap for my 3G mobile connection. I raided in WoW from November until mid December. Never broke my 3GB limit.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 hour ago, mc86 said:

How did you do that? I couldn't find the embed tags.

Just paste the link to the normal youtube video and the forum will take care of the rest

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, RicHaj said:

I would love to be able to locate hard data on that, just to actually have a real comparison on how much data Online games actually consume

In a couple of my friends computers according to the Usage Details from Win10, Runescape (The oldschool version?) used ~300 MB in a month, and they play fairly often.
I used to play Runescape in 2007 on Dialup internet perfectly fine, and this "oldschool" version started as a backup of the game from 2007, and has had new content added to it. - I dunno if the game would still be playable on dialup, but it is based off something that was when it started 3 years ago.
Ive read that game averages 4.68MB an hour, and was perfectly playable from a 3G connection depending on what the player is doing. (Latency being the main issue)
With those numbers that means my friends spent ~60 hours in the game a month, which I find believable, and they estimate is probably correct.

That said however!
Their Skype and Discord usage was much higher easily exceeding 6GB. Those numbers maybe should be taken into account since people do use voice chat while playing online games?
Still though, I can say, Their main internet browser definitely has more data usage on their computers then Skype+Discord+Runescape+Minecraft+Steam.

people bash the UK but i get 200/12 for £35 a month no download limits.   £35 a month

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 minute ago, jaggysnake57 said:

people bash the UK but i get 200/12 for £35 a month no download limits.   £35 a month

Considering the UK can get unlimited mobile internet cheap, and in Australia its up to 25GB for $150/month. With Mobile Internet being far better than ADSL2 in most areas which can struggle to hit ADSL1 speeds.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Stuff like that just angers me... While the gaming itself does not use much of the internet, the streaming of gameplay may be the case, but how many do stream? As someone mentioned earlier youtube would use more bandwidth than anything else.

This "successful" attempt to get more money of the people is just absurd... 

7 hours ago, Sypran said:

In a couple of my friends computers according to the Usage Details from Win10, Runescape (The oldschool version?) used ~300 MB in a month, and they play fairly often.
I used to play Runescape in 2007 on Dialup internet perfectly fine, and this "oldschool" version started as a backup of the game from 2007, and has had new content added to it. - I dunno if the game would still be playable on dialup, but it is based off something that was when it started 3 years ago.
Ive read that game averages 4.68MB an hour, and was perfectly playable from a 3G connection depending on what the player is doing. (Latency being the main issue)
With those numbers that means my friends spent ~60 hours in the game a month, which I find believable, and they estimate is probably correct.

The new NXT version of runescape (New client coded in c++) that came out on Monday takes about 1 to 2 Megabytes of data per hour played. Though the game data and cache takes 2.1GB to download initially. 

ba9001f56c.png

I will use an image from the person who said this to express my feelings regarding his statements:

744_anatel_joao_rezende.jpg

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

On 19/04/2016 at 9:58 PM, RicHaj said:

I have some hard data on that...

At work (I work in a school) during the holiday club our children have a Wii U which they play on, the Wii U is normally connected to the schools WiFi and the children play games like Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros & Splatoon online under supervision.

On the last day of our last holiday the school IT engineers took the network down for some reason and it just happened that on that day I had only 8 boys aged between 8 & 11 (that's unusual as we normally have a mix of boys and girls aged between 4 & 11) who as you can imagine were desperate to play the Wii.

As a solution to this I decided to use my phone as a hotspot and allow the boys to play online, It was somewhere between 10 & 10:30 am when I enabled the hotspot and it was active until 5 pm when I shut it off to pack the Wii away. Now granted they were not playing on it all the time (we had lunch & tea during the time as well as other breaks) however when I checked my usage breakdown the next day I was expecting to be near my 2GB limit, in reality they had used 200mb. That's it. 200mb all day.

Online games use very little data.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 19/04/2016 at 9:58 PM, RicHaj said:

Jay2cents did that and one session of WOW was just few hundreds of kilobytes.

So gaming itself doesnt influence the traffic much, the updates and entire game downloads  do use shit tons of data.

If Brazil has a terrible infrastructure weak as shit then the President of telecm agency is right saying it uses a lot of bandwidth.

Now they gonna g all Nazi about it and punish people who use Internet for what it's meant to be used (work,education,entertainment).

The telecom needs to improve the infrastructure. Here in UK south west coast area, people still use DSL and ADSL but it's mostly uncapped data usage. It is slow 2-16Mbps but network can handle it because most people have fibre these days anyway (my Street doesn't goddamit !)

What I'm saying is: Brazil either has DSL connection at best and it struggles with the data usage (fibre can handle anything !) or telecom is greedy for money.

It sucks to be in Brazil right now and there is little people can do about it without complaining in masses and protesting against this crap. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

During my exams my mom cancelled our WiFi for a month..and I used my phones 3/4G(4G rolled out n India during the last week or so) I used it to play CS GO (online) and Team fortress . The total was about 450 MB so that's 15 per day .... I used more than that to browse Facebook and Google . hell listening a 2-3 min song on ganna  or eradio will take more than 15mb so its some moron talking about something he doesn't understands and wants to gain some public buzz...we have tons of those here in India.

Also.... That adds to the stereotypical gamer ...not goood

3 hours ago, Scitesh said:

During my exams my mom cancelled our WiFi for a month..and I used my phones 3/4G(4G rolled out n India during the last week or so) I used it to play CS GO (online) and Team fortress . The total was about 450 MB so that's 15 per day .... I used more than that to browse Facebook and Google . hell listening a 2-3 min song on ganna  or eradio will take more than 15mb so its some moron talking about something he doesn't understands and wants to gain some public buzz...we have tons of those here in India.

Also.... That adds to the stereotypical gamer ...not goood

what do you mean she "cancelled your wifi"?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what do you mean she "cancelled your wifi"?

@Scitesh @Ryan_Vickers Probably that his mom unplugged the wireless router during the exam month so he would concentrate on getting good grades and not playing games. I'd say his PC is on wireless and couldn't get on any other way than using his phone as wireless hotspot