Brazil's Internet Regulations President says Online gaming ''wastes too much internet"

RicHaj

Here in Toronto, our caps were recently removed after about a decade.

The politicians are probably being paid by ISPs to spout nonsense.  The infrastructure probably needs upgrading and the ISPs want to delay it as much as possible.  Meanwhile, they can squeeze internet users for money and make enough profit to slowly update the lines over the next 5-10-15 years. 

Just business, nothing new.

15 minutes ago, Daring said:

You can waste an infinite resource? Huh.

It's only infinite that it isn't a physical resource, but hardware to accommodate that free resource isn't free though.  Core switches and routers are expensive AF, and so is international bandwidth.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If only the president wasn't wasting all the bandwidth making speeches like this, the light users like online games would have enough to do what they like :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This is a poor excuse to sneak in an artificial scarcity of a service that's practically unlimited, if left to the market forces. The only reason for that is to please a bunch of lobbying companies that seek state regulation to increase profits, without actual investment in infrastructure expansion. Classical crony capitalism, at the expense of the free market and open competition.

In my country, the last metered connections died out with the proliferation of broadband access and phasing out of the dial-up 15 years ago. Well, some cable providers still kept the data caps alive (mostly for connections outside of the country), but the competition either drove them out or made them drop the practice. The ISP market here is one of the least regulated businesses and the result is cheap, fast and readily available Internet access from multiple providers with no arbitrary restrictions. Some ISPs even offer a free Wi-Fi router for new customers.

must be a tool for ISPs. I bet  he also recently got a new villa gifted to him by a close friend 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I just want to add in another quote that came from another website, it's another piece from the same press conferece

"É importante dizer que na energia elétrica existe consumo limitado, na água existe consumo limitado e isso vale também para a internet" 

Which translates to :

"It's important to say that in Eletrical Energy there is limited usage, in Water consumption there is limitade consumption. This is also true to the internet"

Again, these are the words of the President of the Regulatory Agency reponsible for Telecommunication services in Brazil.

....................Well, I'm glad I don't live in Brazil.

Also, welcome (relatively) new use, nice post, nice translation.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, RicHaj said:

I just want to add in another quote that came from another website, it's another piece from the same press conferece

"É importante dizer que na energia elétrica existe consumo limitado, na água existe consumo limitado e isso vale também para a internet" 

Which translates to :

"It's important to say that in Eletrical Energy there is limited usage, in Water consumption there is limitade consumption. This is also true to the internet"

Again, these are the words of the President of the Regulatory Agency reponsible for Telecommunication services in Brazil.

That's funny because I'm pretty sure that those are perfect examples of services for which there is not limited consumption xD I don't remember ever having my water supply throttled because I "wasted it" by drinking water (you know, I love to drink water, and it's just such a waste for those who drink less*) and the same goes for power.  You use as much as you want or need, and then you just pay for what you used.  It's completely fair.  And if that can be done with those services, it sure as hell can be done with the internet of all things!

*don't get that reference?  See my previous post:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Found an english news article about it, if anyone is interested.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/business/2016/04/1762629-age-of-unlimited-broadband-is-over-says-anatel-president.shtml

Not that it's necessary since the OP provided a great translation.

11 minutes ago, RicHaj said:

Which translates to :

There's very simple solution to this and it's called demand and supply chain - one of the free market's corner stones. More demand calls for more production and robust R&D. More paying customers -- more capital to invest in "unlimiting" the limited resource/service. But... some players on the market are too greedy to do actual business and instead prefer to "invest" in bribes (a.k.a. lobbying) or money shifting (a.k.a. pointless mergers) instead of providing what the market wants and needs.

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Found an english news article about it, if anyone is interested.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/business/2016/04/1762629-age-of-unlimited-broadband-is-over-says-anatel-president.shtml

Not that it's necessary since the OP provided a great translation.

Thanks! That website is the News side of the same website i provided, it's a good source too and it has a few more tidbits of info.

Honestly i have to say it, i keep putting myself in check over this... like, i honestly don't want to be over confident since im no Networking expert and i keep thinking to myself ''Maybe there is actually some logic behind what this moron is saying and i just don't know about it''  but the more i read about it, and now with all the comments on this thread, the more i see that this is actually just pure ignorant BS being put forward cause it's cheaper to throttle the services and keep the costs high then it is to invest in Infrasctructure to keep up with the times... 

6 minutes ago, RicHaj said:

Thanks! That website is the News side of the same website i provided, it's a good source too and it has a few more tidbits of info.

Honestly i have to say it, i keep putting myself in check over this... like, i honestly don't want to be over confident since im no Networking expert and i keep thinking to myself ''Maybe there is actually some logical behind what this moron is saying and i just don't know about it''  but the more i read about it, and now with all the comments on this thread, the more i see that this is actually just pure ignorant BS being put forward cause it's cheaper to throttle the services and keep the costs high then it is to invest in Infrasctructure to keep up with the times... 

It is definitely the latter. There is no reality in their claims other than "we want to be able to charge more, because we need MOAR MILLIONS OF DOLLARS".

Greed is not a justification. Wanting to make money, sure, but not pure, unadulterated greed. If you have to lie, or get politicians and government officials to lie for you to make more money, you're probably already making enough money.

My setup:

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

2x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

5 minutes ago, mc86 said:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f99PcP0aFNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by mc86
Double post

My setup:

1 hour ago, RicHaj said:

"It is evident that there must be some form of balance, if not, we will have the consumer that consumes less paying for those that are consuming more"

User pays for unlimited, blames them for actual using it. 

And protect the users that bought unlimited but actual don't need/use it.

Seems legit.

This logic, no words. Instead selling unlimited carelessly what they obvious can't serve, spend that well owned money on the infrastructure. 

2 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

User pays for unlimited, blames them for actual using it. 

And protect the users that bought unlimited but actual don't need/use it.

Seems legit.

This logic, no words. Instead selling unlimited carelessly what they obvious can't serve, spend that well owned money on the infrastructure. 

Better to spend less on lining a politicians pocket and getting them to say you have every reason to be a greedy fuck.

13 minutes ago, mc86 said:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f99PcP0aFNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Third time's the charm? :P

I think this is what you were trying tp post, if I'm not mistaken

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

Did he have a speech impediment or was he just talking out his ass.

Oh, here's this again. When I was in college a lot of people would complain about gamers taking up their internet connection. Haven't heard that complaint in years, though. Guess I can't say that anymore.

2 minutes ago, Yog said:

Oh, here's this again. When I was in college a lot of people would complain about gamers taking up their internet connection. Haven't heard that complaint in years, though. Guess I can't say that anymore.

What were they doing? Streaming videos?

"Their streaming was taking up my connection to gaming"

All internet traffic must be considered equal.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

What were they doing? Streaming videos?

"Their streaming was taking up my connection to gaming"

All internet traffic must be considered equal.

No, they incorrectly assumed gaming takes a lot of bandwidth. Not exactly sure what was going through their heads when they came to that conclusion. Maybe they saw the moving image and thought it was being streamed...no idea.

6 minutes ago, Yog said:

No, they incorrectly assumed gaming takes a lot of bandwidth. Not exactly sure what was going through their heads when they came to that conclusion. Maybe they saw the moving image and thought it was being streamed...no idea.

All I know is that my ISP throttles me, or more accurately, disconnects me with fake ass DNS errors, whenever I stream videos or play games after 5pm.

I switched from their DNS servers, to Google public DNS servers for both IPv4 and IPv6, I still get "DNS" errors, and when I run tracert the errors come from servers registered to Century Link.

They claim "bandwidth exhaustion". I call bullshit, they just haven't upgraded their infrastructure to fiber, like they should have.

38 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Third time's the charm? :P

I think this is what you were trying tp post, if I'm not mistaken

How did you do that? I couldn't find the embed tags.

My setup:

Great, another useless individual saying something so stupid.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |