Polaris “Ellesmere” Has Around 100W TDP + specs - Rumour

Paragon_X
7 hours ago, awesomeness10120 said:

I take it they will be passively cooled.

It's not easy to design a 100 watts passive cooler. Also most people will OC and swear about passive cooling. But the 50 watts parts are feasable.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

56 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

It's not easy to design a 100 watts passive cooler. Also most people will OC and swear about passive cooling. But the 50 watts parts are feasable.

it is feasible to make a 100w passive cooler. But you will have to make it 3-slot in order to make a strong enough brace to support the card without it drooping badly.

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

it is feasible to make a 100w passive cooler. But you will have to make it 3-slot in order to make a strong enough brace to support the card without it drooping badly.

Oh yes, it indeed passible, I have 500 watts passive cooled ;)

But I think it's a good idea for a board partner to release a passive line up. However it will be silly for the reference card by AMD.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

Oh yes, it indeed passible, I have 500 watts passive cooled ;)

But I think it's a good idea for a board partner to release a passive line up. However it will be silly for the reference card by AMD.

Silly, mostly due to price. The amount of heatpipes, pure copper cooling fins and vapor-chambers you need for good passive cooling would break the bank. I bet a passive cooled 100w SKU, the cooler would cost the board partner/AMD like 60-80 bucks to put on. Which would hurt the products placement really badly.

On 4/14/2016 at 8:38 AM, zMeul said:

if AMD is going to release notebook GPUs 1st, oh man .. gonna laugh my ass off

they are in a financial crisis and they're releasing low end GPUs?! what the fuck is wrong with them -_-

You make a lot of money off of low end GPUs. What do you think is in your mother's laptop?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

45 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

You make a lot of money off of low end GPUs. What do you think is in your mother's laptop?

my mother doesn't have a laptop

and people with half a brain wouldn't even buy a laptop with a low end GPU in it - the iGPU is quite enough

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and people with half a brain wouldn't even buy a laptop with a low end GPU in it - the iGPU is quite enough

People with half a brain will know a low end dGPU will fucking wreck any current gen iGPU.

So if the price is right, they WILL buy it.

Not that you would know this.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

Completely missing the point i'm trying to make because you just want to be right.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

On 14-4-2016 at 4:50 PM, Tomsen said:

AMD is in an financial crises, and they're releasing products for the market with the most volume. How silly of them, they should instead be investing in the much lower volume of high-end GPUs (volume is in an order of magnitude lower).

but people with desktops are more likely to upgrade to the new platform because of the new gpus, with laptops you don't/can't really do that :)

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Ofcourse, although, don't provoke him too much, he get's extremely salty extremely fast

I just realized, he responded to that comment, but not to the like 10 other ones you made rebutting his other posts.

On 4/14/2016 at 10:38 AM, zMeul said:

if AMD is going to release notebook GPUs 1st, oh man .. gonna laugh my ass off

they are in a financial crisis and they're releasing low end GPUs?! what the fuck is wrong with them -_-

Because we all have money for 980tis and Fury Xs don´t we?

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

I just realized, he responded to that comment, but not to the like 10 other ones you made rebutting his other posts.

Because we all have money for 980tis and Fury Xs don´t we?

huh, wat?

Yes, Zmeul has blocked me and or i am shadowbanned so he cannot see my posts. Iv'e known that for a looooooong while.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

huh, wat?

Yes, Zmeul has blocked me and or i am shadowbanned so he cannot see my posts. Iv'e known that for a looooooong while.

Huh. Neat.

I personally don´t understand why 390 performance for about half as much TDP is causing everyone to freak out so much. If the general market, the uneducated consumer, knows the product to be¨ power hungry and a space heater¨ then I´d probably look into making the card more power efficient and cooler.

On ‎2016‎.‎04‎.‎14‎. at 5:17 PM, Enderman said:

muti gpu sucks

works pretty well for me on GTA V, Tomb Raider 2013 and AotS

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

10 hours ago, DXMember said:

works pretty well for me on GTA V, Tomb Raider 2013 and AotS

I'd say the cons outweigh the pros

8 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

I'd say the cons outweigh the pros

the pro is more performance,

what are the cons?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

25 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the pro is more performance,

what are the cons?

Let's see, microstuttering, less perf/$, less game support, less driver support, more power consumption, less expansion potential, and in some rare cases, worse performance than a single GPU.

22 hours ago, Prysin said:

Ofcourse, although, don't provoke him too much, he get's extremely salty extremely fast

AMD has yet to get back to me on my proposal for a salt mine around his feet.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Let's see, microstuttering, less perf/$, less game support, less driver support, more power consumption, less expansion potential, and in some rare cases, worse performance than a single GPU.

microstuttering - are you from the past?

less perf/$ - if you want perf/$ then according to gamegpu, you should get r9 280x which is best fps/$ two years in a row

less game support - that's a problem of game developers not multi gpu

less driver support - that's the problem of game developers, multi gpu shouldn't be patched in for every single game in driver

more power consumption - if you want less power consumption then you should be using Intel Iris Pro which beats 80% of dGPU and consumes less power than any dGPU

less expansion potential - what? please explain

in some rare cases, worse performance than a single GPU - again that's the problem of game devs

also did I mention you can disable multi-gpu in control panel?

23 hours ago, mikat said:

but people with desktops are more likely to upgrade to the new platform because of the new gpus, with laptops you don't/can't really do that :)

Those people are the minority of desktop. Most people just buy a new desktop. Laptop also get slightly obsolete faster, making people buying new system more often.

Sales through OEM channels is much much higher than selling cards individual. That is what AMD is targeting.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

31 minutes ago, DXMember said:

less perf/$ - if you want perf/$ then according to gamegpu, you should get r9 280x which is best fps/$ two years in a row

less driver support - that's the problem of game developers, multi gpu shouldn't be patched in for every single game in driver

more power consumption - if you want less power consumption then you should be using Intel Iris Pro which beats 80% of dGPU and consumes less power than any dGPU

in some rare cases, worse performance than a single GPU - again that's the problem of game devs

dont mind the haters.

Most people are basing their comments on CF/SLI performance back in 2012... Things have changed. Except the people that are shitposting. They havent.

On 15/04/2016 at 2:09 AM, Prysin said:

you know how atrocious AMDs DX9 drivers are?

Good god, you have no idea do you?

Let me give you a hint. The last optimization they did for DX9, prior to Crimson, was when DX9 was still the dominant API.

After that they stopped optimizing and went 100% with DX10 and DX11. As a result, 7000 series which came out after DX11 adoption rate had reached "critical mass" has nearly NO DX9 optimizations done to it. Hell, prior to Crimson drivers, my R9 295x2 was shitting itself in skyrim and GW2 (both DX9), yet when play a DX11 title it can beat a TitanX.

I know, because ive owned some HD 7950s, and they suck fucking balls in every DX9 game, yet once you apply a newer version of DX, they rock on.

But hey, keep at it strawman. It's not like its hard to disprove you anyways.

Using this laptop's MR HD5650 with Unigine Valley, the FPS difference between DX9 and DX11 is very small, just like it is in games, that being said, it is the firs mobile DX11 GPU, and I do run it with a 120MHz overclock.

42 minutes ago, DXMember said:

People love to forget that if game devs did the right thing, AMD and Nvidia wouldn't need to release drivers to get games working properly on their GPU, and make them capable of utilising multiple GPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL