Essential Software for a New Windows 8 PC

JEW UNIT NY
What are your "essential" programs for a new Windows install? I am mainly using the PC for gaming, video editing, and Photoshop. 

"Fixes" for Windows 8?

Antivirus?

Malware?

Browser?

Benchmarks (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, ect.)?

Backup Software to an external HDD/NAS?

Media players? (I have a Blu-ray burner/player in my new rig)

Anything Else Useful?

Microsoft Security Esstials

Malwarebytes

Google Chrome

Hardware monitor

VLC

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

What are your "essential" programs for a new Windows install? I am mainly using the PC for gaming, video editing, and Photoshop. 

"Fixes" for Windows 8?

There is some bad update, that will fuck up your disc cleaner and  sfc /scannow
run the following as Admin in CMD if you encouter these problems:

DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-image /ScanhealthDISM.exe /online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Antivirus?

Using BitDefender / Malwarebytes, up to your preference.

Malware?

See above

Browser?

Firefox FTW!

Benchmarks (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, ect.)?

Prime95, OCCT, IBT, CrystalDisk, Afterburner, Memtest,  HWMonitor, what ever you think you'll need.

Backup Software to an external HDD/NAS?

Looking for a good one myself. But 8.1 will include a DéjaDup-ish feature if I am not mistaken so I'm still waiting.

Media players? (I have a Blu-ray burner/player in my new rig)

VLC. But your BD Drive should come with PowerDVD or something, that will contain the codecs and spare you the nuisance of getting around the fucking BD keys.

Anything Else Useful?

TrueCrypt, CCleaner, StartIsBack (If you get annoyed by the start screen or want to use both), Foobar 2000 / Winamp, all your Drivers ofc,  ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

VLC is capable of playing Blu-Ray. Don't need PowerDVD or any other proprietary solutions, even if it came as bundled software. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

VLC is capable of playing Blu-Ray. Don't need PowerDVD or any other proprietary solutions, even if it came as bundled software. 

Isn't there the keys that are being newly generated every now and then?

I know if you want to get BD running on Ubuntu, you'll have to add some PPA for the keys in order to watch them.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Isn't there the keys that are being newly generated every now and then?

I know if you want to get BD running on Ubuntu, you'll have to add some PPA for the keys in order to watch them.

I'm assuming it depends on the Blu-Ray itself. I've only tried it with one set (LOTR Extended Edition), which is about 2 years old now, and it works flawlessly (including burned in subtitles for Elvish parts). There are methods to get it working with VLC though, so even newer Blu-Ray movies shouldn't have an issue.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

1. "Fixes" for Windows 8?

2. Antivirus?

3. Malware?

4. Browser?

5. Benchmarks (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, ect.)?

6. Backup Software to an external HDD/NAS?

7. Media players? (I have a Blu-ray burner/player in my new rig)

8. Anything Else Useful?

In order:

1. Classic Shell
  2. Avast
  3. Malware Bytes (And Spybot 2 for Spyware)
  4. Chrome or Firefox - I prefer Chrome
  5. AIDA64 for CPU, CrystalDisk for HDD/SSD, Afterburner for GPU, Memtest for RAM, etc.
  6. AOMEI Backupper
  7. Foobar for music and VLC for Blu-ray movies/videos.
  8. Speedfan by Almico, CCleaner, Defraggler, and Speccy from Piriform.

That is all I got for now. I will probably have a lot more once I get home on my desktop with Windows 8. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I would consider ripping your blu rays to mkv so that vlc can actually play them. Otherwise you may well end up wasting so much time trying to get the discs to play that you could've watched the movie already, if you had a set-top blu ray player and a TV.

In order:

1. Classic Shell
  2. Avast
  3. Malware Bytes (And Spybot 2 for Spyware)
  4. Chrome or Firefox - I prefer Chrome
  5. AIDA64 for CPU, CrystalDisk for HDD/SSD, Afterburner for GPU, Memtest for RAM, etc.
  6. [Will add later via edits]
  7. Foobar for music and VLC for Blu-ray movies/videos.
  8. Speedfan by Almico, CCleaner, Defraggler, and Speccy from Piriform.

That is all I got for now. I will probably have a lot more once I get home on my desktop with Windows 8. 

Basicly this is spot on.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Note: Edited my earlier post with AOMEI Backupper. Pretty great, free, backup program. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Start Menu - Start8 / ClassicStart

Torrents - Halite / Qbittorrent / Deluge (Open Source options that ARE better)

Music - Foobar + WASPI

Video - MPC-HC + MadVR (Looks so much better than VLC)

Anti Virus - Avast FREE / Malware Bytes FREE

Firewall - Netbalancer / PeerBlock /

Web Browser - Firefox (logicalincrements.com/firefox)

Cleaners/Fixes - CCleaner / Defraggler

Runtimes - ninite.com (tick all the Runtimes)

I'll type more I think of them...

I only have one piece of software that is absolutely required for Windows 8. It's called Windows 7, and it is great.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Idk I always have a big list of programs ininstall on a pc right off the bat. The first being probably 7zip so I can open other programs and even some drivers.

Simple.

- Microsoft Live Essentials (for the photo editor/viewer called Photo Gallery)

- Firefox (Firefox Aurora Build if you have a touch screen device, for the Modern UI app)

- Shark007 codec pack + 64-bit component. Best codec pack you can get, with thumbnail preview, doesn't replace Windows codecs, but simply registers the new ones, avoiding conflicts and issues.

- Windows 8 Pro Media Center Pack (10$) - Gives you Media Center and DVD codec for Media Center. If you look at prices at half decent DVD codecs tehy are 50-100$, so it's a good deal.

How about an ISO loader app? Windows 8 can do that already. Double click an on ISO. :)

How about Zip files extractor? Windows 7 and 8 does that.

How about Backup?

- Use Windows 8 File History. Awesome! Not only does a backup to another drive at a delay you want (daily, hourly, every 10min, and everything in between), but has no performance drops, as it only gathers the changed bits and merge/replace them from the backup. And stores the bits on the external HDD, to allow you to go back in time, without having a physical backup. If you re-install Windows 8, all you need to do, is turn it back on, the feature, Windows will redirect everything and RESUME the backup. So you will have no problem going back in time of your personal files before you re-install Windows :D

How about Music?

- Zune desktop software. Fully GPU rendered, easy to use, and awesome.

- Music Modern UI app, for XBox Music, Free music streaming from a 30 million+ library song, growing about each week since Win8 was released. Free!

(If you get XBox Music Pass, you have unlimited music streaming, and DOWNLOAD, no ads, and you can use it with the Zune desktop software, AND you can use the iOS or Android player on your phone!)

There is a 30 days trial, definitely worth a look. Zune desktop software works on XP, Vista, Win7 systems, if you wonder.

There is also use the web browser version of it (music.xbox.com), no plug-in required to install. All in HTML5. Works with all HTML5 compliant web browsers.

How about a Start Menu replacement?

Please, just learn how to use it. It won't go away. After a month in, you'll prefer it over Win7.

-> You can pin all your games in a group, allowing you to quickly launch them. No need to Start Steam, go on library, check if your game is there.. oh wait it's not.. it's maybe on UPlay... oups no... maybe Origin... then do 2-3 clicks to get the game to start. No. You click and start. The game is right there. No B.S

-> You can pin your folders, for quick and fast access

Here a very old picture of my Start Screen, for reference.

http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png

Notes:

- My most used apps are pinned on the Task Bar

- Most used items are at the bottom left corner of the screen, for quick access.

- I have a lot more games now. The screen shots was done when Win8 was fairly newly installed on my desktop.

Anti-Virus is already in Windows 8 (Microsoft Security Essentials)

Heres a short mostly complete list of what I install generally on my PCs:

2013-09-2222_23_06-FreeSoftware.png

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for StartIsBack hahaha. 

All my computers connect to a server, so for me the essential thing to get done is set up a local account, and from there add the computer to a domain which I then have access to log into all the romaing user accounts (In other words logging in to any computer on the network and having access to everything with the same username / password like in businesses). From there, Chrome is very important, I usually just rely on windows 8's built in Anti Virus. I live in the mac world where I've gotten used to never getting viruses, so I feel pretty safe in windows 8 now too. After that, office is often installed, and depending who will be using the computer things like skype etc are installed. I don't use windows that often so I don't have to install much. I only really use it for gaming :D

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.