low fps on high end pc! :(

8 hours ago, abood99 said:

I recently(two days ago) got this high end pc and was really happy. but when i first used it i noticed that games ran on an extremely low fps. Not something you would expect from a new gtx 980ti. i thought i had a faulty card at first until i ran a benchmark test and the graphics card seemed to perform on par with other graphics cards on its spectrum. then i checked the cpu(i7 6700k) and it was ok. then i tried playing around with the nvidia settings and that came to no use, then i though maybe my pc is running games is running on integrated graphics instead of my card. Went ahead to change that but didnt find the option for it and yes i was in the right place but the option was missing. high end pc low fps please help!

Did you plug your HDMI/DP into your motherboard? 

Or in to your graphics card?

21 minutes ago, jett473 said:

with this I will provide a actual apology.

you give a pretty obvious legitimate problem that OP's issues could be applied to, that wasn't in my knowledge. So, even thought this does seem hella trolly...with the total of 15 or so posts and the account only being alive for 8 hours, I'll delete my comment.

and to OP, in the chance you are not a troll and just new to PCs and the forums, welcome to the forums. I swear assholes like me rarely show up and this community is actually rad as hell, I'm sorry, mate.

At least you apologised. It's more than what most people do.

5 hours ago, tomaatvk said:

I do have to say that if you aren't so known to those kinds of problems (and I do have to say that they don't occur quite that often) it's better to help someone that is possibly trolling you as to give someone who is asking for help bad advise and ruin their day even more. Trying to do the nice and right thing isn't a bad thing even if you might be 'helping' a troll.

true, it just seemed like one of those jokes you see on a video benchmarking some high end card that asks, "but can it run minecraft 60fps?"

but again, my apologies to OP and anyone else in the thread.

Did you try reinstalling drivers as a clean install and not using the express option?

8 hours ago, abood99 said:

I recently(two days ago) got this high end pc and was really happy. but when i first used it i noticed that games ran on an extremely low fps. Not something you would expect from a new gtx 980ti. i thought i had a faulty card at first until i ran a benchmark test and the graphics card seemed to perform on par with other graphics cards on its spectrum. then i checked the cpu(i7 6700k) and it was ok. then i tried playing around with the nvidia settings and that came to no use, then i though maybe my pc is running games is running on integrated graphics instead of my card. Went ahead to change that but didnt find the option for it and yes i was in the right place but the option was missing. high end pc low fps please help!

Do you have multiple monitors hooked up? Or is it a single monitor? What is your ram configuration (capacity and speed)? What is your GPU usage % in the titles that you are lagging on?

A GTX 980 Ti for CS:GO, Runescape, and FF on a 1080p monitor seems like a massive overkill in my eyes, but to each their own. The reason I ask about ram, is because the titles you mention leave a ton of CPU overhead that can be remedied with faster memory. However, I do not see it having this large of an impact at all on your setup to cause such a huge decline in performance. Maybe a 10-20% boost to minimum FPS from faster ram on a configuration like this. 

If you have multiple monitors, make sure you are not running your games in windowed mode. Even if you have your game running on one monitor, there is a bug that causes your GPU to think it should be rendering for all 3 monitors at the same time, causing a severe loss in framerate. If it is a single monitor setup, I honestly do not know what to tell you. Perhaps try the iGPU and see if framerate improves? If so, card might be defective somewhere, and an RMA might be required.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

21 hours ago, tomaatvk said:

I must say though, I've actually been there on my 980 ti getting really bad FPS in games. The problem was a mistake in the custom BIOS I made with the voltage/clock speed scaling being off slightly and because of that it kept running at 135MHz on the core combined with really low clock speed values for the the XBAR, L2C and the SYS. I don't think that OP has gotten this far but I just want to point out that it can happen.

My personal guess is that the GPU is stuck in P08 and is running at really low speed all the time because of insufficient power supply/some other error concerning Pstates that can occur or that something like the CPU or GPU is hitting way too high thermals and throttling back quite a bit. Maybe the absence of thermal paste or inpropper contact between the cooler and the chip.

after thural investigation and much analysis i found out that the problem is from the cpu! it is clocked at 0.8 ghz only for some odd reason. it is intended to run at 4.00 ghz as it is a i7 6700k. now how do i clock it to run at the frequency it is intended to run at? (my gtx 980ti is running wonderfully (thank god) :) )

21 hours ago, MageTank said:

Do you have multiple monitors hooked up? Or is it a single monitor? What is your ram configuration (capacity and speed)? What is your GPU usage % in the titles that you are lagging on?

A GTX 980 Ti for CS:GO, Runescape, and FF on a 1080p monitor seems like a massive overkill in my eyes, but to each their own. The reason I ask about ram, is because the titles you mention leave a ton of CPU overhead that can be remedied with faster memory. However, I do not see it having this large of an impact at all on your setup to cause such a huge decline in performance. Maybe a 10-20% boost to minimum FPS from faster ram on a configuration like this. 

If you have multiple monitors, make sure you are not running your games in windowed mode. Even if you have your game running on one monitor, there is a bug that causes your GPU to think it should be rendering for all 3 monitors at the same time, causing a severe loss in framerate. If it is a single monitor setup, I honestly do not know what to tell you. Perhaps try the iGPU and see if framerate improves? If so, card might be defective somewhere, and an RMA might be required.

after thural investigation and much analysis i found out that the problem is from the cpu! it is clocked at 0.8 ghz only for some odd reason. it is intended to run at 4.00 ghz as it is a i7 6700k. now how do i clock it to run at the frequency it is intended to run at? (my gtx 980ti is running wonderfully (thank god) :) )

21 hours ago, RAAL4 said:

Did you plug your HDMI/DP into your motherboard? 

Or in to your graphics card?

it turned out that my graphics card is fine but my cpu is underclocked just out of the box. how do i change the clock frequency? 

10 minutes ago, abood99 said:

it turned out that my graphics card is fine but my cpu is underclocked just out of the box. how do i change the clock frequency? 

mind showing us your CPU temps before we tell you what to do? 

I'd feel even worse then I already do if I told you to go overclock it and you ended up frying your shinny new CPU.

13 minutes ago, abood99 said:

hell it might not even be worth the risk, you should honestly just RMA it back to who you bought it from. if you're this new to computers, I wouldn't risk it. 

9 minutes ago, jett473 said:

mind showing us your CPU temps before we tell you what to do? 

I'd feel even worse then I already do if I told you to go overclock it and you ended up frying your shinny new CPU.

the thing is im not overclocking im just setting it to the frequency its supposed to run at :(

22C (celcius) on each of the 4 cores is the temp.

6 minutes ago, jett473 said:

hell it might not even be worth the risk, you should honestly just RMA it back to who you bought it from. if you're this new to computers, I wouldn't risk it. 

22C (celcius) on each of the 4 cores is the temp.

3 minutes ago, abood99 said:

the thing is im not overclocking im just setting it to the frequency its supposed to run at :(

/technically/ pushing a CPU past what it is stock set at is Overclocking, if it came to you in .8 ghz, pushing it to 4 ghz is Overclocking, and it is a insane one at that.

i wouldn't feel comfortable risking the push to 4 ghz if I was in your shoes, and also that shouldn't be something you have to deal with. If you got such a expensive CPU, and it is running that low, you need to RMA it.

3 minutes ago, jett473 said:

/technically/ pushing a CPU past what it is stock set at is Overclocking, if it came to you in .8 ghz, pushing it to 4 ghz is Overclocking, and it is a insane one at that.

i wouldn't feel comfortable risking the push to 4 ghz if I was in your shoes, and also that shouldn't be something you have to deal with. If you got such a expensive CPU, and it is running that low, you need to RMA it.

What does RMA mean?

Just now, abood99 said:

What does RMA mean?

send it back to the company to get a different one.

however, a quick google check shows that i7-6700Ks normally run at .8 ghz when idle...have you tried stress testing it yet? does it jump up to 4 ghz then?

I read through a thread about this after googling it.

did you buy all your parts then put it together?

if so, try checking to see if your socket's pins are bent, or if your motherboard has a "SLOW_PC" switch. 

the slow PC switch is what the other user went through, and so far it's sounding like what you're going through.

3 minutes ago, jett473 said:

I read through a thread about this after googling it.

did you buy all your parts then put it together?

if so, try checking to see if your socket's pins are bent, or if your motherboard has a "SLOW_PC" switch. 

the slow PC switch is what the other user went through, and so far it's sounding like what you're going through.

-i bought all the parts from the computer shop and there technician put it together.

-my mobo is  a msi z170a im not sure if it has a slow pc switch

-my pc is currently at another computer shop because the shop that i bought it from has no clue about these things

12 minutes ago, jett473 said:

send it back to the company to get a different one.

however, a quick google check shows that i7-6700Ks normally run at .8 ghz when idle...have you tried stress testing it yet? does it jump up to 4 ghz then?

my cpu temp is 22c only isnt that safe enough to overclock? :(

11 minutes ago, abood99 said:

my cpu temp is 22c only isnt that safe enough to overclock? :(

average idle temps for 6700k is about 24c or so, I'm sorry but no, it's too close right now to give it such a heavy overclock.

16 minutes ago, abood99 said:

-i bought all the parts from the computer shop and there technician put it together.

-my mobo is  a msi z170a im not sure if it has a slow pc switch

-my pc is currently at another computer shop because the shop that i bought it from has no clue about these things

where did you take it to?

and do you have a actual model for that board? There's various msi z170As.

2 minutes ago, jett473 said:

where did you take it to?

and do you have a actual model for that board? There's various msi z170As.

msi z170a gaming m3

just had a look at msi's website and this motherboard has a slow mode switch

8 minutes ago, abood99 said:

msi z170a gaming m3

ah, thank you. As far as I can tell, you do not have a slow PC button, so that's not your issue.

possibly bent socket pins? My brother had issues with that before, it caused his computer to be way slower, along with crashing occasionally.

besides that, I'm lost.