low fps on high end pc! :(

I recently(two days ago) got this high end pc and was really happy. but when i first used it i noticed that games ran on an extremely low fps. Not something you would expect from a new gtx 980ti. i thought i had a faulty card at first until i ran a benchmark test and the graphics card seemed to perform on par with other graphics cards on its spectrum. then i checked the cpu(i7 6700k) and it was ok. then i tried playing around with the nvidia settings and that came to no use, then i though maybe my pc is running games is running on integrated graphics instead of my card. Went ahead to change that but didnt find the option for it and yes i was in the right place but the option was missing. high end pc low fps please help!

If you have done anything in the Bios possibly reset it?

Low fps in what? What kind of numbers are you getting?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What game/benchmark and corresponding settings?

What resolution?

Are you sure you even plugged the monitor to the gpu and not to the onboard connection? 

yes, i updated the bios and every single thing that could be updated

im getting 20-50 fps on final fantasy a realm reborn, 15 fps on runescape, 40 fps on cs go! 

13 hours ago, Mr Salty said:

If you have done anything in the Bios possibly reset it?

yes, i updated the bios and every single thing that could be updated :(

13 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

Low fps in what? What kind of numbers are you getting?

im getting 20-50 fps on final fantasy a realm reborn, 15 fps on runescape, 40 fps on cs go! 

Where did you plug your monitor? And did you install nvidia drivers?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Just now, abood99 said:

What resolution?

13 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Where did you plug your monitor? And did you install nvidia drivers?

latest drivers installed, 2 plugged in using hdmi port in the gpu

What resolution?

1080x1920

You didnt connect your monitor to your motherboard did you? 

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Just now, VincentiusIV said:

You didnt connect your monitor to your motherboard did you? 

no, it is connected to my gpu.

What is the setting for your power plan in windows? Make sure it is set to high performance.

2 minutes ago, VincentiusIV said:

What is the setting for your power plan in windows? Make sure it is set to high performance.

it is set on high performance.

Open "NVIDIA Control Panel" > "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings" > "Global Settings"

a. Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
b. Vertical sync- Off
c. Threaded optimization - off
d. Triple buffering - off

Does that make any difference?

What are you using to measure FPS?

13 hours ago, VincentiusIV said:

Open "NVIDIA Control Panel" > "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings" > "Global Settings"

a. Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
b. Vertical sync- Off
c. Threaded optimization - off
d. Triple buffering - off

Does that make any difference?

did that when i first got the pc, sadly no differance

What are you using to measure FPS?

fraps application

Is this an instant poor FPS, or does it start out high and then drops a minutes or two into the game?

Just now, normpearii said:

Is this an instant poor FPS, or does it start out high and then drops a minutes or two into the game?

instant poor fps and stays that way

39 minutes ago, abood99 said:

instant poor fps and stays that way

Are you recording with Fraps at the same time?

Just now, AstroBenny said:

Are you recording with Fraps at the same time?

no just displaying fps

Just now, abood99 said:

no just displaying fps

Can you run the firestrike demo?

You can download it from Steam.

i clicked on play numerous times nothing happens

12 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

Can you run the firestrike demo?

You can download it from Steam.

clicked on the play button numerous times nothing happens. yay another problem :(

5 hours ago, jett473 said:

-snip-

I must say though, I've actually been there on my 980 ti getting really bad FPS in games. The problem was a mistake in the custom BIOS I made with the voltage/clock speed scaling being off slightly and because of that it kept running at 135MHz on the core combined with really low clock speed values for the the XBAR, L2C and the SYS. I don't think that OP has gotten this far but I just want to point out that it can happen.

My personal guess is that the GPU is stuck in P08 and is running at really low speed all the time because of insufficient power supply/some other error concerning Pstates that can occur or that something like the CPU or GPU is hitting way too high thermals and throttling back quite a bit. Maybe the absence of thermal paste or inpropper contact between the cooler and the chip.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

1 minute ago, tomaatvk said:

I must say though, I've actually been there on my 980 ti getting really bad FPS in games. The problem was a mistake in the custom BIOS I made with the voltage/clock speed scaling being off slightly and because of that it kept running at 135MHz on the core combined with really low clock speed values for the the XBAR, L2C and the SYS. I don't think that OP has gotten this far but I just want to point out that it can happen.

My personal guess is that the GPU is stuck in P08 and is running at really low speed all the time because of insufficient power supply/some other error concerning Pstates that can occur or that something like the CPU or GPU is hitting way too high thermals and throttling back quite a bit. Maybe the absence of thermal paste or inpropper contact between the cooler and the chip.

with this I will provide a actual apology.

you give a pretty obvious legitimate problem that OP's issues could be applied to, that wasn't in my knowledge. So, even thought this does seem hella trolly...with the total of 15 or so posts and the account only being alive for 8 hours, I'll delete my comment.

and to OP, in the chance you are not a troll and just new to PCs and the forums, welcome to the forums. I swear assholes like me rarely show up and this community is actually rad as hell, I'm sorry, mate.

7 minutes ago, jett473 said:

with this I will provide a actual apology.

you give a pretty obvious legitimate problem that OP's issues could be applied to, that wasn't in my knowledge. So, even thought this does seem hella trolly...with the total of 15 or so posts and the account only being alive for 8 hours, I'll delete my comment.

and to OP, in the chance you are not a troll and just new to PCs and the forums, welcome to the forums. I swear assholes like me rarely show up and this community is actually rad as hell, I'm sorry, mate.

I do have to say that if you aren't so known to those kinds of problems (and I do have to say that they don't occur quite that often) it's better to help someone that is possibly trolling you as to give someone who is asking for help bad advise and ruin their day even more. Trying to do the nice and right thing isn't a bad thing even if you might be 'helping' a troll.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build