Sony announces PS4 System Software 3.50 will begin Rolling out Tomorrow (April 6th, 2016)

handymanshandle

So before I get into this here are some things to begin with.

Here is the thread about Sony bringing remote play to PC and Mac.

If you don't know what PS4 System Software 3.50 will have, well the most interesting feature will be the ability to use Remote Play on PCs and Macs.

Outlined in the update about 3.50 (MUSASHI) 

Sony's John Koller (VP Playstation Brand Marketing, SCEA) talked said a little bit about the update today (Apr 5th, 2016) in the Playstation Blog, that "In this update, we’re expanding PS4’s Remote Play capabilities to work with Windows PC and Mac."

and then listed the supported OSes, Resolutions and Frame rates.
The supported OSes are "Windows 8.1 and 10 (or later) and OS X 10.10 and 10.11."

"Resolutions: 360p, 540p, and 720p. (540p is Default)"

"Frame Rates: Standard (30fps), and High (60fps). (Standard is Default)"

To use the Dual Shock 4 controller on Mac or PC, you'll have to use the USB Cable. Personally I think that it sucks they couldn't get it to work with the computers that have Bluetooth but I'm sure they have their reasons.

720p30fps will probably be the more well rounded option unless you're playing on a completely wired network or a very good wireless network.

Regardless, it's pretty cool to see that the wait is pretty much over. 

Source: 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/05/playstation-3-50-system-software-update-out-tomorrow/

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

lol if i had a ps4 i'd be streaming 720p60

the fuck they thinking ima play at 360p30

Eh I own a PS4 but I hope to be able to stream 720p30fps, I really don't want to deal with 540p30fps or 360p30fps

360p 30fps? WTF? I think the NES could do better than that

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Just now, ANewFace said:

360p 30fps? WTF? I think the NES could do better than that

I think it probably has to do with the chance that someone has slow data transfer across their local network.

Obviously it's not a limitation of the hardware, just probably trying to make it available to more people.

Though I do agree that it is pretty pathetic to have 360p30fps.

Just now, wcreek said:

I think it probably has to do with the chance that someone has slow data transfer across their local network.

Obviously it's not a limitation of the hardware, just probably trying to make it available to more people.

Though I do agree that it is pretty pathetic to have 360p30fps.

But honestly, who TF would play at 360p? And this is coming from the guy who put 100+ hours into DayZ, back when I had an i5 650 and HD 5450, everything at lowest settings at 9fps

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Just now, ANewFace said:

But honestly, who TF would play at 360p? And this is coming from the guy who put 100+ hours into DayZ, back when I had an i5 650 and HD 5450, everything at lowest settings at 9fps

Yeah, I mean if your network is that slow that it can't handle even 540p30fps (which is still sort of sad) then I don't see a point to bother with Remote Play.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Yeah, I mean if your network is that slow that it can't handle even 540p30fps (which is still sort of sad) then I don't see a point to bother with Remote Play.

Honestly they should just have it where if your network can't handle 720p 60fps, or even 30fps at worst, then you can't use it, sorry. Gotta be like Valve and their VR and have really strict requirements 

When xbone started streaming it wasn't at 1080p for a few months

5 minutes ago, ANewFace said:

Honestly they should just have it where if your network can't handle 720p 60fps, or even 30fps at worst, then you can't use it, sorry. Gotta be like Valve and their VR and have really strict requirements 

I disagree with that in part because I want to be able to use it even if my network sucks but if it can't handle 720p30fps I won't bother until I can either upgrade it or use it wired. I might try 540p60fps if 720p30fps is too much.

2 hours ago, Slickwicked said:

When xbone started streaming it wasn't at 1080p for a few months

Thing is Sony has had Remote play for years

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

I disagree with that in part because I want to be able to use it even if my network sucks but if it can't handle 720p30fps I won't bother until I can either upgrade it or use it wired. I might try 540p60fps if 720p30fps is too much.

540 60 is more than 720 30

And the Reason it has 540p as an option is because this system was built for the Vita which houses a 960x544 display

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

1 minute ago, Sharkyx1 said:

I was thinking that the extra frame rate might negate or be harder to transfer than 720p30fps.

Well regardless I hope my wifi network can handle it. Or I suppose if I really wanted it to work with out upgrading my Wifi network is just get a couple Ethernet cables and plug both of them into the network.

Finally I'll be able to use my 40 megabit upload and play at uni haha

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

19 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I was thinking that the extra frame rate might negate or be harder to transfer than 720p30fps.

Well regardless I hope my wifi network can handle it. Or I suppose if I really wanted it to work with out upgrading my Wifi network is just get a couple Ethernet cables and plug both of them into the network.

in house even 100mbit should work fine

i play Bloodborne on my vita over 300 miles of shitty canadian internet from home to my university and on a good day its entirely playable. and my home internet is 2 up

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Shrugs, ill just play it on my tv with my controller

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

9 hours ago, Sharkyx1 said:

And the Reason it has 540p as an option is because this system was built for the Vita which houses a 960x544 display

It's a higher framerate to deliver, but I'm betting that the bitrate doesn't change.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Shrugs, ill just play it on my tv with my controller

The same for me. If I'm playing a console, it is for a reason.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

The same for me. If I'm playing a console, it is for a reason.

Yeah I mean why would I stream it to my PC... when my console is presumably already connected up to a screen etc, and i still have to use the same controller

I really dont understand 

now if I could stream PC to my PS4 - that would be cool

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yeah I mean why would I stream it to my PC... when my console is presumably already connected up to a screen etc, and i still have to use the same controller

I really dont understand 

That's be cool too but at least right now I don't have very good hardware to play games on (A8 6410 or A8 4500M) so it's pretty cool for me. Though when I do build my first PC (hopefully this summer) the service won't really do me much good. Though I wish Sony would at least unlocked Remote Play to most Android devices (basically ones similar to their Xperia line, like the S6 and S7, and G4 and G5). Though there might not be as much incentive to do that for some Android phones as they don't compete in the PC sphere.

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

That's be cool too but at least right now I don't have very good hardware to play games on (A8 6410 or A8 4500M) so it's pretty cool for me. Though when I do build my first PC (hopefully this summer) the service won't really do me much good. Though I wish Sony would at least unlocked Remote Play to most Android devices (basically ones similar to their Xperia line, like the S6 and S7, and G4 and G5). Though there might not be as much incentive to do that for some Android phones as they don't compete in the PC sphere.

But if you had PS4 connected to the TV etc and your weak PC in another room

why would you bother streaming the PS4 to the PC? it has like no use at all

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's a higher framerate to deliver, but I'm betting that the bitrate doesn't change.

You might be right, not sure,  Sony says in the vita remote app that 60 takes more upload bandwidth 

1 minute ago, Sharkyx1 said:

You might be right, not sure,  Sony says in the vita remote app that 60 takes more upload bandwidth 

Hmm.

Maybe they do implement a higher bandwidth for 60fps streaming rather than YouTube's implementation.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I really dont understand 

The problem with streaming games from one device to another isn't what the resolution could be, the real issue is latency.  All settings can be turned all the way down, and latency is still there, because of all the extra connection points and extra processing required to send stream from one device to another(physics, who knew).  

After experiencing game streaming on a good hardwired network, imo game streaming is really nothing more than a gimmick since the latency makes the game experience for most games really annoying(such as a shooter or racing).   

Anyone remember the rubber-band effect when playing COD multiplayer, where you already around a corner doing a reload, you die, and kill cam clearly shows you were not quite behind cover?  imagine that effect in singleplayer(maybe a little exagerated), but you get my point, it makes those types of games annoying to try and stream, or maybe i'm just too sensitive about it.

Rock On!