Sony announces PS4 System Software 3.50 will begin Rolling out Tomorrow (April 6th, 2016)

handymanshandle
12 minutes ago, BroliviaWilde said:

The problem with streaming games from one device to another isn't what the resolution could be, the real issue is latency.  All settings can be turned all the way down, and latency is still there, because of all the extra connection points and extra processing required to send stream from one device to another(physics, who knew).  

After experiencing game streaming on a good hardwired network, imo game streaming is really nothing more than a gimmick since the latency makes the game experience for most games really annoying(such as a shooter or racing).   

Anyone remember the rubber-band effect when playing COD multiplayer, where you already around a corner doing a reload, you die, and kill cam clearly shows you were not quite behind cover?  imagine that effect in singleplayer(maybe a little exagerated), but you get my point, it makes those types of games annoying to try and stream, or maybe i'm just too sensitive about it.

I recorded about 200ms end to end latency when playing 250 miles away from my PS4,  it's certainly compromised, but very playable for what it  is 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

This sounds cool, I'll be able to play CoD and watch YouTube at the same time (hopefully) :)

I would be able to anyways, but I don't own CoD on the PC.

I used to be quite active here.

1 hour ago, BroliviaWilde said:

SNIP

I stream games all the time, and its fine 99% of the time for MOST games, especially more casual experiences 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you have the money for a PS4 and a PC to steam to, you had enough money to get a good PC to begin with and not bother with this crap

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You know what, I've just had a million dollar idea...

Why hasn't someone made a portable and handheld PC, something like a Brix or Intel Stick but with a screen and 2 analog sticks, buttons and all the other stuff you'd have on your DS/Vita etc but running Windows 10. If they did it properly and network speed depending you'd have a kick ass portable streaming device for Xbone, PS4, Steam and Nvidia Gamestream.

It'd be like carrying your gaming PC around with you in your pack back.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

22 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I stream games all the time, and its fine 99% of the time for MOST games, especially more casual experiences 

Fair enough, I just find it too much of a compromise to limit what games in my library I can play because of latency.  And the times that I forgot and switched to one that doesn't do well with latency, it kills the mood.   

Rock On!

17 minutes ago, BroliviaWilde said:

Fair enough, I just find it too much of a compromise to limit what games in my library I can play because of latency.  And the times that I forgot and switched to one that doesn't do well with latency, it kills the mood.   

ive not tried console streaming but ive used steam streaming and nvidia stream tons and i really dont notice it for most games (bear in mind I have over 600 games so plenty to choose)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

49 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You know what, I've just had a million dollar idea...

Why hasn't someone made a portable and handheld PC, something like a Brix or Intel Stick but with a screen and 2 analog sticks, buttons and all the other stuff you'd have on your DS/Vita etc but running Windows 10. If they did it properly and network speed depending you'd have a kick ass portable streaming device for Xbone, PS4, Steam and Nvidia Gamestream.

It'd be like carrying your gaming PC around with you in your pack back.

There was a kickstarter/indiegogo campaign for such device 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

@ShadowCaptain I do agree if Sony or Steam decided to do a reverse remote play essentially which makes the PS4 a lot like the Nvidia Shield TV box, which wouldn't require having to need another system to be the client PC.

Though as I said some Wifi networks could probably handle the transfer rates needed to get a smooth 720p30fps or 720p60fps with low(ish) latency.

Also I don't have very good hardware to play games on, so my PS4 is probably better for playing games than the laptop I have right now.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

As a bit of an update, I just finished downloading and installing the client to use Remote Play and the System Software.

When I tried using the feature, I guess my network wasn't good enough for 720p30fps.
Okay well I think I'd be fine with 540p at whatever frame rate worked. That didn't happen.

So resentfully I then went to 360p30fps and it still would lag out.

I mean I am on a 802.11g network so I mean that might have something to do with but still it's unfortunate that I'd either have to play it over ethernet or upgrade my wifi solution. Which I do plan on moving away from a totally wireless network and introducing some cables because not everything will support the less congested 5GHz.

Tried it today.  Works very well for the most part.  There is latency (obviously) but it's certainly playable, depending on the game.  I'm using a 100 megabit wired connection (well I'm pretty sure it's megabit as opposed to 1 gigabit).  

Edit: peak network traffic (download to the PC) was 0.78MB/s, and averaged around 0.45-0.58MB/s during gameplay of Uncharted.  Note I wasn't actively monitoring, but this seemed to be the norm whenever I glanced at my Rainmeter network monitor.

Used 720p 60fps for my testing.  I'm giving a preliminary "playability" rank for each game tested based on graphical quality and latency in relation to gameplay and how it affects game difficulty.  Latency seems to vary between games, probably due to the type of game and the amount of data that needs to be compressed for transfer as well as how the game was coded initially.  (maybe, I'm just speculating).  The dualshock rumble feature is supported.

Games tested:

- Uncharted Collection (Drake's Fortune)

• 3rd person shooter/action-adventure game
  • Playable
  • Tested on Crushing difficulty, didn't notice any significant latency that would result in me getting killed frequently compared to on the TV.
  • Graphics quality is reduced to around the quality of the original PS3 game.  I'm approximating there, I may do a side by side comparison later.
  • Framerate - solid, no noticeable frame drops or skips during my testing.

- Star Wars Jedi Starfighter (PS2 port)

• 1st person aerial/space combat
  • Mostly playable
  • Tested on hard difficulty, noticed a little bit of latency, but not a huge amount, definitely playable especially on lower difficulties.
  • No noticeable difference in graphics.  To be expected as this is a port of a PS2 game that runs in 4:3, there's not a whole lot of visual data to compress.
  • Framerate - frame skips occur rarely

- Killzone Shadow Fall

• 1st person shooter
  • Borderline playable
  • Latency is noticeable, tested on Hard difficulty.  Might be more playable on lower difficulties.
  • Lower graphical quality makes it a little difficult to make out enemies in dark areas.
  • Framerate - some frame drops and skips, varies between different levels

- Dragon Ball Xenoverse

• 3rd persion action-RPG/fighting game
  • Doesn't work at all - locks you out of the game.  May be due to incompatibility with the recording blocking feature, which could be fixed by a patch.  Unless it's intentional because it was unplayable when tested.

Games I haven't tested yet:

- The Last of Us Remastered (predicting to run very similarly to uncharted; playability will most likely depend on image quality in dark areas)

- Driveclub

- Star Wars Bounty Hunter (PS2 Port)

- I don't have anything else on hand for testing, naturally anything that's cross platform I buy on PC (for the most part)

Overall I'd say it works well and I'll probably use it on occasion since Dad's constantly hogging the TV, which is what I'd say the most likely use-case scenario would be for a lot of people.  However I will say that it's really only good for casual gaming, and it's a little disappointing that they haven't added Bluetooth support, although that might adversely affect latency when I think about it...

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

11 hours ago, wcreek said:

As a bit of an update, I just finished downloading and installing the client to use Remote Play and the System Software.

When I tried using the feature, I guess my network wasn't good enough for 720p30fps.
Okay well I think I'd be fine with 540p at whatever frame rate worked. That didn't happen.

So resentfully I then went to 360p30fps and it still would lag out.

I mean I am on a 802.11g network so I mean that might have something to do with but still it's unfortunate that I'd either have to play it over ethernet or upgrade my wifi solution. Which I do plan on moving away from a totally wireless network and introducing some cables because not everything will support the less congested 5GHz.

In my experience wifi has never really worked well for remote play between any devices.  PS3 (wifi) to PSP back in the day didn't work well at all, not that there was anything that could actually be played; and PS4 (wired) to my brother's Vita was only ever playable if he was sitting right next to the modem.  So when I tested PS4 to PC (both wired) I was pleasantly surprised by how well it works despite the varying differences in image quality between games.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

2 hours ago, TW1ST3R said:

In my experience wifi has never really worked well for remote play between any devices.  PS3 (wifi) to PSP back in the day didn't work well at all, not that there was anything that could actually be played; and PS4 (wired) to my brother's Vita was only ever playable if he was sitting right next to the modem.  So when I tested PS4 to PC (both wired) I was pleasantly surprised by how well it works despite the varying differences in image quality between games.

Yeah my PS4 is currently over Wifi, I'm sure it'd help tremendously by wiring the PS4 into the network but possibly also upgrading the Wifi network to help reduce the latency.

In my case I was on an 802.11g network that is on a Wifi router/modem combo so the range is mediocre.

23 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

But if you had PS4 connected to the TV etc and your weak PC in another room

why would you bother streaming the PS4 to the PC? it has like no use at all

Because he can and it's his choice.

3 minutes ago, Voids said:

Because he can and it's his choice.

that was a genuine question, people can do whatever then want, its their life, but I can still question things

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

that was a genuine question, people can do whatever then want, its their life, but I can still question things

You're not allowed to do that anymore it hurts peoples feelings and is also discrimination.

Just now, Voids said:

You're not allowed to do that anymore it hurts peoples feelings and is also discrimination.

What is discrimination? questioning things?

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

What is discrimination? questioning things?

It was really just a joke, because you can't say anything nowadays. I should have put the '/s' in but I forgot.

2 minutes ago, Voids said:

It was really just a joke, because you can't say anything nowadays. I should have put the '/s' in but I forgot.

haha true 

How long for a program that emulates a PS4 controller so you can use keyboard and mouse for games :P That would actually give it a purpose for me, I rarely use the PS4 because I don't like to play shooters with a controller. But games like Destiny are not available on PC and would be fun with keyboard and mouse.

@ShadowCaptain @Voids

Shadow had a very valid question to which I felt that the remote play for PC or Mac is a nice feature to have.

Because one might not have a gaming PC to use Steam In Home Streaming. However it would be cool if Steam brought In Home Streaming to the Xbone and PS4. Or Sony some how gets the PS4 to do remote play in reverse.

Though Void, it's not discrimination to question something. Specifically a service/feature of a Consumer Electronic.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Because one might not have a gaming PC to use Steam In Home Streaming. However it would be cool if Steam brought In Home Streaming to the Xbone and PS4. Or Sony some how gets the PS4 to do remote play in reverse.

But if you had a PS4 already, why would bother to stream it to your PC.. when you could just use the PS4 itself since your PC isnt a  gaming PC why would you want to game sat at your desk?

The only use I can think is that somebody wants to watch TV because your PS4 is in the living room, and you can stream it to your bedroom/office/another place in the house

But yeah

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

@ShadowCaptain @Voids

Shadow had a very valid question to which I felt that the remote play for PC or Mac is a nice feature to have.

Though Void, it's not discrimination to question something. Specifically a service/feature of a Consumer Electronic.

It was more me joking around. But thanks for your post nonetheless.

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

But if you had a PS4 already, why would bother to stream it to your PC.. when you could just use the PS4 itself since your PC isnt a  gaming PC why would you want to game sat at your desk?

The only use I can think is that somebody wants to watch TV because your PS4 is in the living room, and you can stream it to your bedroom/office/another place in the house

But yeah

Well laptops and stuff...  Though yes that is probably the intention of Remote Play.

10 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well laptops and stuff...  Though yes that is probably the intention of Remote Play.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, i thought it would have limited use and appeal yet everyone keeps talking about it like everyone cares :P

i do remote play to my vita which is cool :D

but yeah if they could do it the other wya that would be even cooler :D