Icelandic Prime Minister Resigns After Panama Breach

iCrushDreams

SOURCES

-

The Guardian

New York Times

Iceland’s embattled prime minister, Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson, has become the first major casualty of the Panama Papers, tendering his resignation in the wake of a mounting political crisis over his family’s offshore investments.

A mass protest planned in Reykjavik later on Tuesday turned to celebration as Icelanders vented their anger at the outgoing prime minister following revelations that he had once owned – and his wife still owns – a secret offshore investment company with multimillion-pound claims on Iceland’s failed banks.

The first victim of the Panama breach has resigned.. This is only the beginning. The 2.6 TB breach of official documents about many world leaders included tax-evasion information about Iceland's prime minister caused many protestors in Reykjavik to demand his resignation.

Since this is just the very beginning of understanding the leak, I wonder how many leaders will have to buckle under the pressure of their citizens after being revealed by the breach.

I thought the threatened to bring down the parliament first? 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I guess it helps to remove government officials when nearly 10% of the nation's population show up at the parliament and physically demand change.  Kind of hard to tell the angry mob no; especially when the law enforcement's goal is simply to keep everything orderly, not protect the rulers.

2 hours ago, Aytex said:

So what did he do? Tax evasion?

He has an multimillion off shore company entirely made off money from banks that went bankrupt afyer the financial crisis started,  most of the rage comes because he pulled it off days before Iceland passed laws to precisely avoid this. 

Also Iceland seems to be the only country on this planet where the people actually put pressure on politicians to their jobs as they should otherwise the get swarmed, yesterday protest were just 22.5k people, doesn't sound like much expect that's 7% of the population, you know your fucked when that many people knocks on your door. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Ahhh this explains all the pictures of thousands of people protesting that kept popping up in my feeds yesterday >_> (sorry, if it doesn't have a cute dog or fancy tech I don't click the links :P)

In 'merica, when citizens protest against government officials they get pepper sprayed and the dogs are let loose into the "violent" crowds....

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

2 hours ago, Aytex said:

So what did he do? Tax evasion?

Tax evasion in a country that was on the brink of financial ruin.

I mean, if its one time where you NEED taxes, its when the country itself is about to go bankrupt

3 hours ago, Notional said:

I thought the threatened to bring down the parliament first? 

Yup, he tried but the president blocked that move. 

34 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Tax evasion in a country that was on the brink of financial ruin.

I mean, if its one time where you NEED taxes, its when the country itself is about to go bankrupt

The real damning part came when he later on used his political power in negotiations where he had a vested interest in the other side getting its way.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

The prime minister has not resigned at all, merely appointed the vice-chairman as acting PM for an unspecified amount of time. Probably until this blows over.

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politics_and_society/2016/04/05/prime_minister_has_not_resigned_sends_press_release/

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

4 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

I love how in the United States, scandalous conflicts of interests don’t result in resignation like they should. Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a great example of that: Igniting drama and fake scandals, one right after another, against a nominee of her own party in favour of a candidate that was bought and paid for 20 years ago. So many people wanted her to resign, man. I’m a bit saddened the man here really didn’t.

Iceland, however, has a much lesser population. It takes a much less percentage of the population to revolt in order to cause change. Imagine 20 million Americans revolting. It's hardly ever happened at all before, and surely not in an organized fashion. 20 million people is comparable in America as 7,000 is comparable in Iceland.

And this is were the Right of revolution comes into play. If you do not know what it is here is a snippit:

"In political philosophy, the right of revolution is the right or duty of the people of a nation to overthrow a government that acts against their common interests. Stated throughout history in one form or another, the belief in this right has been used to justify various revolutions including the English Civil War, the American Revolution and the French Revolution."

In fact in essence would could overthrow our current governments quite easily based on this philosophy. It's just that people presume if this was to happen then the countries armed forces and policing services would side with the government. This is not the case. Also please note that it is named a right. So if you make another presumuption then we summise that we are entitled to do this without harm coming to us.

2 hours ago, Voids said:

And this is were the Right of revolution comes into play. If you do not know what it is here is a snippit:

"In political philosophy, the right of revolution is the right or duty of the people of a nation to overthrow a government that acts against their common interests. Stated throughout history in one form or another, the belief in this right has been used to justify various revolutions including the English Civil War, the American Revolution and the French Revolution."

In fact in essence would could overthrow our current governments quite easily based on this philosophy. It's just that people presume if this was to happen then the countries armed forces and policing services would side with the government. This is not the case. Also please note that it is named a right. So if you make another presumuption then we summise that we are entitled to do this without harm coming to us.

I can claim a right to a lifetime free supply of beer, doesn't make it one. The right of revolution has in no way ever been formalized in any global or even multinational human rights context. And no, the Declaration of Human Rights does not count as it pretty specifically establishes it as a limited right as only the absolute last measure.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 hours ago, iCrushDreams said:

Imagine 20 million Americans revolting. It's hardly ever happened at all before, and surely not in an organized fashion. 

Have you not heard of the American Revolution!?!?! :P 

WHERE'S YOUR TEA GOD NOW, BRITS??? #neverforget 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

1 hour ago, Centurius said:

I can claim a right to a lifetime free supply of beer, doesn't make it one. The right of revolution has in no way ever been formalized in any global or even multinational human rights context. And no, the Declaration of Human Rights does not count as it pretty specifically establishes it as a limited right as only the absolute last measure.

I suppose you can. I may not be formalised but you must understand that the philosphy has a large scope ig it justified revolutions in America, England and France. And obviously it would be a last measure, but I'm sure people have attempted a revolution for smaller issues. 

7 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Have you not heard of the American Revolution!?!?! :P 

WHERE'S YOUR TEA GOD NOW, BRITS??? #neverforget 

mostly fought by the french 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

mostly fought by the french 

do you expect me to deny that?

you right lol

Iceland just became my favourite country

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

David Wilcock posted a great analysis and summary about the whole stinking-from-a-mile-away "panama toilet papers"(as he called them lol). Worth a read if you people want to now what is actually all about.

Quote about the PM that resigned:

Wait a minute... isn't this the same Prime Minister who oversaw the jailing of 29 bankers under his administration?

As in, one of our greatest heroes on earth in the battle to defeat the mega-banks?

Yep. The same guy.

Interesting, isn't it?

LET'S READ ABOUT THE 29 BANKERS

Here is an article from only three months ago about the 29 bankers Gunnlaugsson helped to imprison:

1/5: Iceland Has Jailed 29 Bankers. Why Can't the UK and US Do the Same?

Just before Christmas, the former CEO of Iceland’s Glitnir bank and two other senior bankers were sentenced to jail terms of up to five years for market manipulation and breach of fiduciary duties.

This brings the total number of senior Icelandic bankers so far sentenced for crimes in the run-up to the 2008 banking crash to 29.

By contrast not a single senior banking executive in the US or the UK has been jailed for their role in the financial crisis.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Now time for the Tory twat David Cuntman to step down and take his fuckin shambolic reversed robin hood taxes with him. 

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Scums of the Earth, the whole lot of them. I wish I could list down the all the hateful words I would use to describe these people but I might break my keyboard in a fit of rage. Scums.