Buy used windows 7 or 8 and then do free upgrade to Windows 10?

Lisa.Lisa

If Windows 10 is a free upgrade until July, does it make sense to buy a cheaper used version of windows 7 or 8 and then just do the free upgrade? 

Yeah but after that if you use the key on a new build you won't be able to update

Hello

yes you still have a few more months to do the free upgrade

get a cheap windows copy on reddit microsoftsoftwareswap

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Yeah but after that if you use the key on a new build you won't be able to update

Do you mean if I wait until after July?

If I ever had to reinstall the operating system for some reason, say in a few years from now, would I lose the Windows 10 upgrade and go back to the windows 7 or 8 version that I paid for?

Just now, Lisa.Lisa said:

If I ever had to reinstall the operating system for some reason, say in a few years from now, would I lose the Windows 10 upgrade and go back to the windows 7 or 8 version that I paid for?

Yeah

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

Yeah

oh.. =\ is there any way around that? Or do I just hope I never have to reinstall the operating system?

6 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

stop spreading rumours

retail keys maintain full retail rights including ability to be activated on new hardware

OEM keys maintain full OEM restrictions including inability to replace Motherboard with a different model.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

stop spreading rumours

retail keys maintain full retail rights including ability to be activated on new hardware

I know you can use the key on any build, but you can't update to W10 after the offer ends

Hello

3 minutes ago, Lisa.Lisa said:

no, the key is consumed by Windows 10 key and will remain Windows 10

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Who can sell this used copy of Windows? Since no-one but Microsoft can sell it (legally?)who are you going to but this used copy from?

According to MS you do not actually own the program therefore cannot sell it on.

Yes I am aware MS will sell 'refurbished' copies of Windows cheap ( how do you refurbish copies of Digital media?).

Oh did it ever get sorted out that you were actually buying software as any sensible definition would allow, or were you merely purchasing a license to use said software as MS were claimimg

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

I know you can use the key on any build, but you can't update to W10 after the offer ends

that is correct, I probably misread the previous post and I am very sorry for that

7 minutes ago, DXMember said:

that is correct, I probably misread the previous post and I am very sorry for that

It don't matter...Everyone makes mistakes:D

Hello

11 minutes ago, soup said:

Who can sell this used copy of Windows? Since no-one but Microsoft can sell it (legally?)who are you going to but this used copy from?

According to MS you do not actually own the program therefore cannot sell it on.

Yes I am aware MS will sell 'refurbished' copies of Windows cheap ( how do you refurbish copies of Digital media?).

Oh did it ever get sorted out that you were actually buying software as any sensible definition would allow, or were you merely purchasing a license to use said software as MS were claimimg

I saw copies of windows 7 and 8 for sale on craigslist, are those not legal then? 

4 hours ago, Lisa.Lisa said:

I saw copies of windows 7 and 8 for sale on craigslist, are those not legal then?

No idea , depends on local laws[1] but I wouldn't risk it.

[1]Locally has the law got a bit sense and decided 'you bought it you own it' or are they cowtowing to MS's attitude of you only bought a license.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

13 hours ago, Lisa.Lisa said:

oh.. =\ is there any way around that? Or do I just hope I never have to reinstall the operating system?

its wrong, after you've upgraded to windows 10 you can reinstall unlimited times. just be sure that you use the media creation tool to create a bootable  windows 10 usb installer

I bought an Asus G752VT with Freedos preinstalled and ordered Windows 7 Pro for 12euros from amazon, the key was in the invoice so I had it within 30 Minutes per Email.

I installed Windows 10 and just entered the Windows 7 Key.

http://www.amazon.de/Windows-Professiona-Lizenzkey-Bit-Vollversion/dp/B018VZD6QK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Still waiting on the key card through the post but I was able to activate it online.

Looks like someone else has had a good experience in the forum with Kinguin - 25euros for a windows 10 pro oem:

On 4/4/2016 at 1:25 PM, Lisa.Lisa said:

I'm sure it's "legal," but it's probably against the terms of service. I'd be careful with this. You're basically having to trust that they are selling a legitimate, valid copy of Windows with a working product key. If the price is low enough it might be worth some risk, though.

I don't know what they're talking about above. Once you've upgraded to Windows 10, you won't need to "upgrade again" if you ever reinstall the operating system on the same hardware. I've done several clean installs on my system since installing 10 back in August of last year. It's actually easier with 10 than it used to be, you just install Windows 10 and it recognizes your hardware and activates itself. You don't have to type the key again.

If you wait until July to do it, you can still upgrade but it just won't be free anymore.

On 4/6/2016 at 6:59 AM, typographie said:

I'm sure it's "legal," but it's probably against the terms of service. I'd be careful with this. You're basically having to trust that they are selling a legitimate, valid copy of Windows with a working product key. If the price is low enough it might be worth some risk, though.

I don't know what they're talking about above. Once you've upgraded to Windows 10, you won't need to "upgrade again" if you ever reinstall the operating system on the same hardware. I've done several clean installs on my system since installing 10 back in August of last year. It's actually easier with 10 than it used to be, you just install Windows 10 and it recognizes your hardware and activates itself. You don't have to type the key again.

If you wait until July to do it, you can still upgrade but it just won't be free anymore.

So if I buy a Windows 7 key, when I upgrade for free to Windows 10, does the windows 7 key automatically become a windows 10 key?

Sorry I'm still slightly confused about how this works. What if I need to reinstall the OS on a different hard drive because mine crashes? Will I be stuck with Windows 7 then?

8 minutes ago, Lisa.Lisa said:

So if I buy a Windows 7 key, when I upgrade for free to Windows 10, does the windows 7 key automatically become a windows 10 key?

Sorry I'm still slightly confused about how this works. What if I need to reinstall the OS on a different hard drive because mine crashes? Will I be stuck with Windows 7 then?

I'm actually a little unclear on what becomes of your Windows 7 key if you upgrade to 10. I'm inclined to say it does become a 10 key, and if I'm not mistaken I think you can actually activate a Windows 10 clean install using your 7 key. Don't take anything I just said as absolute fact, though. :P What makes this confusing is that when you take the free upgrade from an activated 7 install to 10, you aren't ever asked for a product key for 10, it just activates automatically and you don't have to think about it too deeply.

You can reinstall the OS as many times as you like on as many different disks you like. However, your Windows 10 license is tied to your motherboard, so if you switch your motherboard you will either need a new copy of Windows 10 or find a way to get it reactivated. I've heard of some people having success doing a reactivation by phone when upgrading their motherboard, but I've never done it myself.

As long as you are reinstalling Windows 10 to a system (meaning motherboard) that you activated it on, you will not be asked for your product key again. It should automatically activate as soon as you're connected to the internet.