win xp on a sata hdd?

Elite14

do you guys know how to get xp on a laptop sata hdd, it is currently has vista on it and I've tried to install it but it wont detect the hdd. is there a trick to get it to work or some software I can use? any help is greatly appreciated  :)   

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

If you have another OS:
-Plug in HDD with vista

-Wipe it, Format it NTFS

-Install into laptop, insert XP disk, install.

If you don't:

-Download Gparted and burn to disc

-Boot from Gparted and wipe HDD

-Insert XP disc and Install.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

so vista has to be off the hdd in order for xp to see the hdd?

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

other laptop Asus.

bascially you are wiping the drive to make space for the xp os

not sure why ur going to xp from vista instead of going to windows 7 or 8

really you can only have 1 os on a drive but windows vista is a pile of crap so dont use it

back up you data now

bascially you are wiping the drive to make space for the xp os

not sure why ur going to xp from vista instead of going to windows 7 or 8

really you can only have 1 os on a drive but windows vista is a pile of crap so dont use it

back up you data now

1. I have a xp key code and

2. I dont have the money

other laptop Asus.

With sata controllers and windows XP, you often need a sata controller driver disk to install XP or the XP installer can not see the HDD

You need this on a usb, and need to press F6 when i prompts you to install raid drivers. then you just point the installer to the correct driver and you will be able to install XP onto your sata hdd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oDT40ewh90

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

so vista has to be off the hdd in order for xp to see the hdd?

No, that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know why that happens.

FYI: Quote my post OR put @Joshua when replying to me, so I see it quicker.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

1. I have a xp key code and

2. I dont have the money

pirate? 

download the win 7 os on the ms site or somewhere thats not illigal

i can give you the link to wat remover in PM only if mediafire

got a warning 2 days ago for putting link up publicly

D=

pirate? 

download the win 7 os on the ms site or somewhere thats not illigal

i can give you the link to wat remover in PM only if mediafire

got a warning 2 days ago for putting link up publicly

D=

i dont have a key code and i think that is illegal

and i dont think the pc will run it its old

Edited by Elite14

other laptop Asus.

i dont have a key code and i think that is illegal

yeah thats why i got a warning post for putting up the WAT remover link

BUT microsoft never find out because it stops windows from activating itself and they never know

ive done this over 7 times on different pc and laptops to know that it is safe

however if u want to be on the "safe side" save up somemoney and look for a good deal on the windows 7 or 8

=D

does anyone remeber wen windows 8 was £31 for like 30 days???????? or was i the only one who saw it

yeah i think ill just bye it and be on the safe side

other laptop Asus.

do you guys know how to get xp on a laptop sata hdd, it is currently has vista on it and I've tried to install it but it wont detect the hdd. is there a trick to get it to work or some software I can use? any help is greatly appreciated  :)   

Personally I wold keep Windows Vista or upgrade to Windows 8 (when you are able to afford it); I think Windows XP is going to completely lose support by 2014.

Windows XP does not support SATA controller natively.

You need to go in the BIOS, and set the SATA Controller to: IDE/Legacy/Compatibility/Safe Mode (the name varies between BIOS's, but basically the one that is not: IRRT or RAID or AHCI)

The HDD may operate at reduce performance, as the SATA controller might be emulating IDE speeds. This will vary between controller to controller.

And of course, all SATA features will be disabled, such as Native Command Queue.

ncq-diagram.gif

Windows XP does not support SATA controller natively.

You need to go in the BIOS, and set the SATA Controller to: IDE/Legacy/Compatibility/Safe Mode (the name varies between BIOS's, but basically the one that is not: IRRT or RAID or AHCI)

The HDD may operate at reduce performance, as the SATA controller might be emulating IDE speeds. This will vary between controller to controller.

And of course, all SATA features will be disabled, such as Native Command Queue.

ncq-diagram.gif

What? I have who knows how many systems with XP on SATA drives to SATA controllers with not only AHCI but RAID set. Not sure where you are getting this data from?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Well. Fine.

Step1: Connect your floppy drive.

Step 2: Prepare a diskette with the SATA controller drivers extracted.

Step 3: Start the Windows XP setup

Step 4: While the setup loads, but before you see "Press F6 to install additional drivers...." which will go by quickly on modern hardware, insert the disckette in the floppy drive, and hit F6.

Step 5: Follow the wizard to load and include the drivers

If you have RAID.

Step 6: Once Windows XP is installed, install the SATA/RAID drivers in Windows, after the motherboard drivers are installed

Step 7: Setup your RAID. Installing Windows XP on an already RAID setup is highly not recommended.

Do you have a Floppy drive? Let alone a perfect condition diskette? I doubt it.

So, set the SATA controller to IDE mode in the BIOS, and live with that. That is also why, on all motherboards that we buy, up until just recently, but absolute recently, some manufactures started to set as default the SATA controller to AHCI mode, and no longer IDE. I guess they figured that XP is already a week worth long project to install on a modern system, let alone the doing the updates, that no one would install such OS, and opt for a modern OS.

If its older laptop, go for Linux instead. Unless you need to game or do something special that doesn't have open source alternative already. Also it depends on your laptop if Vista is ok for it. It needs to have min 3gb ram for vista to be working decently.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

yeah thats why i got a warning post for putting up the WAT remover link

BUT microsoft never find out because it stops windows from activating itself and they never know

ive done this over 7 times on different pc and laptops to know that it is safe

however if u want to be on the "safe side" save up somemoney and look for a good deal on the windows 7 or 8

=D

does anyone remeber wen windows 8 was £31 for like 30 days???????? or was i the only one who saw it

No i grabbed it for £15 when it was first released. Best £15 I've ever spent.

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

What? I have who knows how many systems with XP on SATA drives to SATA controllers with not only AHCI but RAID set. Not sure where you are getting this data from?

you probably installed drivers most likely

Anothe tip I have Is make sure you have a sp3 install disc as it saves you all the time.

you probably installed drivers most likely

Anothe tip I have Is make sure you have a sp3 install disc as it saves you all the time.

Yea, I slipstream my drivers to my OS's, no wonder I see floppy and think what is that :)  F6 is something of myth now. I keep forgetting people actually still use the generic OS disks, but should really invest in slipstreaming their drivers and patches so they don't have to start from the day the OS was created.

Yea, I slipstream my drivers to my OS's, no wonder I see floppy and think what is that :)  F6 is something of myth now. I keep forgetting people actually still use the generic OS disks, but should really invest in slipstreaming their drivers and patches so they don't have to start from the day the OS was created.

I work on so many systems and have ~4+ myself so slipstreaming drivers would mean having to keep multiple images and multiple flash drives until I setup a PXE server of some kind that is. Also drivers update fairly frequently so bu the next time you would have to use it they would all be obsolete. There are also some drivers that dont take kindly to slipstreaming.

I work on so many systems and have ~4+ myself so slipstreaming drivers would mean having to keep multiple images and multiple flash drives until I setup a PXE server of some kind that is. Also drivers update fairly frequently so bu the next time you would have to use it they would all be obsolete. There are also some drivers that dont take kindly to slipstreaming.

Slipstreaming saves you hours upon hours of not only installing patches which are years old after installing from a scratch base install but if you do use a PXE server or a large USB thumb/memory stick the installation installs the drivers you need from a plethora you provide, meaning everything works after just one reboot. Till you try it you won't know the benefit, of course don't include your license so you can use it to install on other systems you manage/fix, you can charge by the install instead of the hour and impress the heck out of your customer(s) by how fast you can get their systems back up and running. Of course you never advertise you used a slipstreamed installer but you're knowledge and abilities B)

I need to make a how to thread on it.

Oh, I also have a post runonce that installs the basic apps as well after the initial reboot, again saves hours and a ton of clicks, conserve your mouse and slipstream today

Slipstreaming saves you hours upon hours of not only installing patches which are years old after installing from a scratch base install but if you do use a PXE server or a large USB thumb/memory stick the installation installs the drivers you need from a plethora you provide, meaning everything works after just one reboot. Till you try it you won't know the benefit, of course don't include your license so you can use it to install on other systems you manage/fix, you can charge by the install instead of the hour and impress the heck out of your customer(s) by how fast you can get their systems back up and running. Of course you never advertise you used a slipstreamed installer but you're knowledge and abilities B)

I need to make a how to thread on it.

Oh, I also have a post runonce that installs the basic apps as well after the initial reboot, again saves hours and a ton of clicks, conserve your mouse and slipstream today

i have slipstreamed stuff before and I will do that with windows updates but nothing else especially drivers. As for programs check out ninite.

i have slipstreamed stuff before and I will do that with windows updates but nothing else especially drivers. As for programs check out ninite.

ninite is OK for those few apps but I have a slew of apps, some licensed software some custom which we deploy and well I like generating my own slipstreamers, eliminating bloatware and adding custom configs for our environment, not one toolbar installed or other rogue app. we even remove some of the auto updater apps so our users are not nagged about updates (from the apps) we nag them on our own and do batch updates minimizing reboots/downtime.

ninite is OK for those few apps but I have a slew of apps, some licensed software some custom which we deploy and well I like generating my own slipstreamers, eliminating bloatware and adding custom configs for our environment, not one toolbar installed or other rogue app. we even remove some of the auto updater apps so our users are not nagged about updates (from the apps) we nag them on our own and do batch updates minimizing reboots/downtime.

Ok so it seems your doing a bunch more than a few systems every now and then and might even provide a customized experiences for the customers that buy computers or services from your company. Something that is completely different from what I deal with on a regular basis.