So, i might be building a new PC. And the I7-6700K and the I7-5820K are around the same price right now, and was wondering what to get. I do mostly gaming (might get Oculus Rift in the future), with some youtube (editing, streaming, capturing, etc), and web browsing. I know they support different motherboards. So, which one should i get and why? Also, whats the best for the money Motherboard for it? Thanks for your time :)

Whichever one is on sale!

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

The 6700k has slightly better gaming performance but since you are streaming and doing video editing i would recommend the 5820k.

And for motherboard, the Asus X99-A seems like a good option, but im sure if you are patient someone will recommend a better one.

probably the 6700k because you would get better gaming performance with it and it can handle as you describe some youtube editing. as for motherboard get a z170 with the connectivity you want

I'd say in your case it probably doesn't matter, just keep in mind that x99 boards carry a bit more of a price premium.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

FIFTY EIGHT TWENTY KAY

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

10 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

Whichever one is on sale!

there both literally the same price. $350

Gaming or Video production? i7 6700 might be better for gaming with 5820K better for content creation, although they are probably quite similar. X99 is probably a bit more expensive, at least for a motherboard.

Tony T

6700K way better for gaming due to higher IPC compared to the 5820K, but 5820K can not only game but also be used for heavy content creation. 5820K is the better choice here.

I would wait since AMD zen CPU will have an 8 core processor out by fall with nearly Identical IPC to the i7 6700k. Better gaming performance and multithreaded performance on a newer manufacture process. The 16nm Finfet. If AMD succeeds then prices on both Intel and AMD processors will drop. Cheaper prices and fall sales equal a happy camper. 

Sexy Beast named War Machine: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/M2Pscf

11 minutes ago, Sx is a Bacon Bagel said:

Identical IPC to the i7 6700k

That isn't even a rumor, that's dreaming. There's no way AMD will catch up to Intel's IPC that quickly, we'll be lucky to see Haswell-level IPC, although Ivy Bridge-level seems to be the generally agreed upon prediction though.

As of right now both processors have their pro's. I would only go with the 5820k if you're serious about video editing, rather than just occasionally stitching together clips.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocwwaVGUFtk

A good comparison between the two.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

If you're mostly gaming then 6700k is better. If you think you'll be doing a lot of video work then the 5820k will really get to show off its power.

Both processors are good enough for gaming. However, the 5820K is better for multitasking and is a more powerful in regards to raw processing power. This is helpful for things like rendering. I would recommend the 5820K if you are trying to render projects while gaming, or if you are using a CPU intensive capturing software to record your gameplay. If you use something like Shadowplay to capture your games, you will only see a small CPU usage hit when capturing, so it won't be necessary.

The strengths of the 6700K lie in having USB 3.1 and  Thunderbolt 3.0 support, and (probably) better support for NVMe drives. It also has up to 36 PCIe 3.0 lanes when including the PCH, although 20 of those all are going though DMI. Skylake also has some other features you can check out in the Wikipedia page.

Also, while the 5820K supports quad-channel memory, the z170 motherboard can support high frequency ram, generally.

In short, 5820K, has more processing, while 6700K has newer features. Both are more than adequate for gaming alone. Capturing while gaming, depends on which recording program you use.

5820k once overclocked is gonna be same or better gaming performance. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Skylake will proably offer you some more new features if you care about extras on motherboard like connectivity, fast storage, proably better sound and other stuff which is why if you are not doing real pro editing heavy loads then go skylake.

Depening on you country skylake will be cheaper slightly or quite a lot cheaper. 

CPU wise  5820k will give you more raw power...

33 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

Skylake will proably offer you some more new features if you care about extras on motherboard like connectivity, fast storage, proably better sound and other stuff which is why if you are not doing real pro editing heavy loads then go skylake.

Depening on you country skylake will be cheaper slightly or quite a lot cheaper. 

CPU wise  5820k will give you more raw power...

x99 boards have all those "new" features since August 2014

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Currently using a 5820k OCed to 4.5, it's wonders.

Runs every game at ultra, render times are fast, and it's just a beast.

5820k, I would say.

9 hours ago, jamesk543 said:

Both processors are good enough for gaming. However, the 5820K is better for multitasking and is a more powerful in regards to raw processing power. This is helpful for things like rendering. I would recommend the 5820K if you are trying to render projects while gaming, or if you are using a CPU intensive capturing software to record your gameplay. If you use something like Shadowplay to capture your games, you will only see a small CPU usage hit when capturing, so it won't be necessary.

The strengths of the 6700K lie in having USB 3.1 and  Thunderbolt 3.0 support, and (probably) better support for NVMe drives. It also has up to 36 PCIe 3.0 lanes when including the PCH, although 20 of those all are going though DMI. Skylake also has some other features you can check out in the Wikipedia page.

Also, while the 5820K supports quad-channel memory, the z170 motherboard can support high frequency ram, generally.

In short, 5820K, has more processing, while 6700K has newer features. Both are more than adequate for gaming alone. Capturing while gaming, depends on which recording program you use.

The new features from skylake came from x99. Where it originated from Haswell.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, DXMember said:

x99 boards have all those "new" features since August 2014

48 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The new features from skylake came from x99. Where it originated from Haswell.

This is true to a certain extent, but z170 has more original support for those new features, meaning less third party solutions, which may or may not be a turn-off for OP. Booting from NVMe is not an original feature of x99 iirc. USB 3.1 is available on both platforms, but z170 has an implementation of it straight Intel in the form of the Aphine Ridge controller. That controller also allows the implementation of Thunderbolt 3 in z170. I have yet to hear about Thunderbolt 3 in an x99 motherboard.

1 minute ago, jamesk543 said:

This is true to a certain extent, but z170 has more original support for those new features, meaning less third party solutions, which may or may not be a turn-off for OP. Booting from NVMe is not an original feature of x99 iirc. USB 3.1 is available on both platforms, but z170 has an implementation of it straight Intel in the form of the Aphine Ridge controller. That controller also allows the implementation of Thunderbolt 3 in z170. I have yet to hear about Thunderbolt 3 in an x99 motherboard.

NVMe boot was original for X99, they patched it in for Z97 boards later

3.1 was added to later revisions of mobos

who uses thunderbolt besides mac comunity?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

53 minutes ago, jamesk543 said:

X99 already supports booting from NVMe and it also has thunderbolt 3 support. Most of the X99 board have a connectors for it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

NVMe boot was original for X99, they patched it in for Z97 boards later

3.1 was added to later revisions of mobos

who uses thunderbolt besides mac comunity?

3.1 is still third party for x99 right? From companies like ASMedia. And thunderbolt is good for certain monitors and very good for external storage. It's crazy expensive, but it is a really powerful and versatile IO option.

46 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

X99 already supports booting from NVMe and it also has thunderbolt 3 support. Most of the X99 board have a connectors for it.

I've never heard of thunderbolt 3 in an X99 board. And NVME boot was not originally there right, but patched in?

Both of yall made imporant points. I was just stating some information just in case it was important for OP :)

23 hours ago, Suika said:

That isn't even a rumor, that's dreaming. There's no way AMD will catch up to Intel's IPC that quickly, we'll be lucky to see Haswell-level IPC, although Ivy Bridge-level seems to be the generally agreed upon prediction though.

As of right now both processors have their pro's. I would only go with the 5820k if you're serious about video editing, rather than just occasionally stitching together clips.

I wouldn't write them off since AMD has pretty much been off the market for Enthusiast CPU's for quite some time. They had rehired the original Designer of the K8 and beyond (Jim Keller) in the AMD golden years to design a new CPU from 2012 till now. So I'm sure he has something up his sleeve. Moreover, I never said equal but similar. Watch this video!

If the IPC is 40% better than "Excavator" then it is on par with a Broadwell IPC which is below "Skylake". Note the X99 chipset is still "Haswell".

Sexy Beast named War Machine: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/M2Pscf