Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Bruu Betyr said:

Ok so do the 2 3.5mm outs serve as right and left for each studio monitor?

No. You can use one of either the pre-amp out or line out.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

No. You can use one of either the pre-amp out or line out.

Doesn't that just give me mono sound then?

Doesn't that just give me mono sound then?

No. They are TRS outputs.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

No. They are TRS outputs.

Wait so they are TRS balanced? I thought they were 3.5mm jacks

13 minutes ago, Bruu Betyr said:

Wait so they are TRS balanced? I thought they were 3.5mm jacks

They are unbalanced stereo 3.5mm TRS.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

They are unbalanced stereo 3.5mm TRS.

Ok but (sorry if I'm wrong I don't know much about this) doesn't that take the signal and then I use a splitter to take the TRS 1/4 cables to each monitor. Doesn't that make each signal the same making it mono?? 

Ok but (sorry if I'm wrong I don't know much about this) doesn't that take the signal and then I use a splitter to take the TRS 1/4 cables to each monitor. Doesn't that make each signal the same making it mono?? 

You need a TRS to 2xTS splitter.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

You need a TRS to 2xTS splitter.

Yeah but doesn't that just carry mono

2 minutes ago, Bruu Betyr said:

Yeah but doesn't that just carry mono

It caries two channels, one per split.

13 hours ago, SSL said:

Not really.

thanks m8, I have been super busy with work and homework, I will see if I can get a couple of hours today were I can update this post.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The only reason for me to buy a dac (I don't need an amp) is to control volume because I heard lowering it through windows (I use only 20-40%) reduces bit-rate.

Is it a bad idea?

10 minutes ago, Arzack said:

The only reason for me to buy a dac (I don't need an amp) is to control volume because I heard lowering it through windows (I use only 20-40%) reduces bit-rate.

Is it a bad idea?

A DAC can't control volume you need an amp for that. A DAC only takes the digital signal you give it and makes it into an analog signal which an amp then amps it up so you can hear it through your headphones or speakers.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

There is always the option of purchasing a Hi-Fi amp. Such as those for powering speakers. Since then you have the option of upgrading at a later date if needed.

There are quite a few which come with high quality DACs built in; Yamaha, Marantz and Pioneer come to mind. These all have phono inputs for turntables too. Further they come with headphone outs which are quite excellent :)

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

2 hours ago, Lazmarr said:

There is always the option of purchasing a Hi-Fi amp. Such as those for powering speakers. Since then you have the option of upgrading at a later date if needed.

There are quite a few which come with high quality DACs built in; Yamaha, Marantz and Pioneer come to mind. These all have phono inputs for turntables too. Further they come with headphone outs which are quite excellent :)

Bad advice and a poor argument to back it up. It's possible to justify all sorts of things on the premise of future upgrades. Spending $300-500+ on an integrated amplifier with so-so DAC and headphone amp, JUST for headphones is a really poor way to spend money.

@SSL You seem to know a lot.

when my headphones AND my speakers are connected to my motherboard's onboard sound, both are noticeably quieter at all volume levels than when only one is connected.

(if it matters, I'm just using this generic splitter to connect both my headphones and my speaker's 3.5mm headphone jack to the motherboard.)

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Earphone-Headset-Compatible/dp/B00LM0ZGK6

would an AMP help me here?

Any idea why this is happening?

also, as I'm not an audiophile at all, and don't care about sound quality, are there any AMPs you would recommend under $30ish USD that would get the job done?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

52 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

@SSL You seem to know a lot.

when my headphones AND my speakers are connected to my motherboard's onboard sound, both are noticeably quieter at all volume levels than when only one is connected.

(if it matters, I'm just using this generic splitter to connect both my headphones and my speaker's 3.5mm headphone jack to the motherboard.)

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Earphone-Headset-Compatible/dp/B00LM0ZGK6

would an AMP help me here?

Any idea why this is happening?

also, as I'm not an audiophile at all, and don't care about sound quality, are there any AMPs you would recommend under $30ish USD that would get the job done?

Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057 plus a 2xRCA to female 3.5mm TRS cable or adapter.

15 minutes ago, SSL said:

Syba Sonic SD-DAC63057 plus a 2xRCA to female 3.5mm TRS cable or adapter.

So how would I connect that to my headphones, which use a 3.5mm headphone jack?

also, are there any internal AMPs that could go inside my PC? Ideally, I don't want any extra clutter on my desk.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

So how would I connect that to my headphones, which use a 3.5mm headphone jack?

also, are there any internal AMPs that could go inside my PC? Ideally, I don't want any extra clutter on my desk.

An adapter.

That's called a sound card. I do not know of any sound cards in the $30 range that have both a headphone amp and separate line out for speakers.

Put the unit on the floor behind your desk if you really have no space. Run an extension cable if you have to.

Just now, SSL said:

An adapter.

That's called a sound card. I do not know of any sound cards in the $30 range that have both a headphone amp and separate line out for speakers.

Put the unit on the floor behind your desk if you really have no space. Run an extension cable if you have to.

Both my speakers and headphones connect via 3.5mm headphone jack. so that might make it easier.

I have the Logitech Z2300 speakers & a hyperX cloud stinger headest, if that matters.

would this be any better than my motherboard?

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B003ZXDOL6/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487996967&sr=1-3&keywords=Sound+Card

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Both my speakers and headphones connect via 3.5mm headphone jack. so that might make it easier.

I have the Logitech Z2300 speakers & a hyperX cloud stinger headest, if that matters.

would this be any better than my motherboard?

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B003ZXDOL6/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1487996967&sr=1-3&keywords=Sound+Card

The issue is not your motherboard, it's that you're trying to rune a line-level device and a headphone from the same output. That soundcard does NOT have a separate line out and headphone amp. You can use one or the other or you'll be in the same situation as with your current motherboard.

8 minutes ago, SSL said:

to rune a line-level device and a headphone from the same output.

So basically headphones and speakers can't both come from the same port?

Desktop:

Laptop:

9 hours ago, SSL said:

Bad advice and a poor argument to back it up. It's possible to justify all sorts of things on the premise of future upgrades. Spending $300-500+ on an integrated amplifier with so-so DAC and headphone amp, JUST for headphones is a really poor way to spend money.

Please read things before spewing crap about it being "bad advice" or a "poor argument".

I did not state "just for headphones" anywhere and it certainly was NOT an argument. It was a suggestion.

I suggested that if people are wanting to upgrade and have the option to purchase speakers at a later date, then it is worth considering intergrated amps that have high quality amps built in; such that of the Marantz line, which are said to have excellent capabilities as a headphone amp.

"So-So" DAC? Research things a little more, the Marantz DAC's use a flagship Cirrius Logic CS4398.

IT IS ALWAYS better to have more options than to have none at all. You could find yourself paying more for just a headphone amp setup than an intergrated amp which has those capabilities, only to later find out that you want to purchase some speakers only that you will have to buy another stereo amp just for that; which the majority include headphone amps.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

6 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

SNIP

The thing is often the headphone amp part of an integrated amp or receiver isn't that good, so you end up with a mix of (depending on brand and model) a decent/good DAC and a rather meh headphone amp.

It would also take a long time to make a list of recommendations for integrated amps and receivers, and then most likely separate lists for with and without sub out. You are ofc welcome to make your own post with integrated amps and receiver recommendations or PM me if you want me to make a separate list for speakers.

I am currently using a Yamaha R-N500 with a Burr-Brown PCM5101 with my Monitor Audio Bronze 2, which I find to cover my needs when it comes to receivers, it is actually pretty damn good and I found it to suit the bronze 2 better than the Marantz PM6006, but a audio-gd NFB 11 combo just wrecks them when it comes to headphones.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

The thing is often the headphone amp part of an integrated amp or receiver isn't that good, so you end up with a mix of (depending on brand and model) a decent/good DAC and a rather meh headphone amp.

It would also take a long time to make a list of recommendations for integrated amps and receivers, and then most likely separate lists for with and without sub out. You are ofc welcome to make your own post with integrated amps and receiver recommendations or PM me if you want me to make a separate list for speakers.

I am currently using a Yamaha R-N500 with a Burr-Brown PCM5101 with my Monitor Audio Bronze 2, which I find to cover my needs when it comes to receivers, it is actually pretty damn good and I found it to suit the bronze 2 better than the Marantz PM6006, but a audio-gd NFB 11 combo just wrecks them when it comes to headphones.

Yes, that is indeed true; the majority of lower-end integrated amps and some mid ones are a mixed bag. However as previously mentioned, the mid-to-high-end Marantz amps are excellent as headphone amps.

That is something I don't have much time for unfortunately, as much as I would love to. Although speakers are a much more subjective thing and require users to demo them out for themselves; as speakers sound very different to each other.

I own the Marantz PM6006 and it's a much more musical amplifier, suiting more lively and musical speakers; coupled with speakers like the Dali Zensor 1s (or any Dali speakers really) it is quite a joy to listen to :) However as mentioned before the sound of Amp+speakers are subjective.

I've no doubt a € 399,00 - € 479,00 (£350 - £400) DAC/Amp would perform MUCH better than an integrated amp of lesser price; but that's not to say integrated amps can't hold up. If you're going to spend that much, you might as well buy separates. 

There is the possibility of adding a much better DAC to an integrated amp at a later date; if you find the built in DAC insufficient.

2 hours ago, Lazmarr said:

Please read things before spewing crap about it being "bad advice" or a "poor argument".

I did not state "just for headphones" anywhere and it certainly was NOT an argument. It was a suggestion.

I suggested that if people are wanting to upgrade and have the option to purchase speakers at a later date, then it is worth considering intergrated amps that have high quality amps built in; such that of the Marantz line, which are said to have excellent capabilities as a headphone amp.

"So-So" DAC? Research things a little more, the Marantz DAC's use a flagship Cirrius Logic CS4398.

IT IS ALWAYS better to have more options than to have none at all. You could find yourself paying more for just a headphone amp setup than an intergrated amp which has those capabilities, only to later find out that you want to purchase some speakers only that you will have to buy another stereo amp just for that; which the majority include headphone amps.

I assumed that your "suggestion" was just for headphones, since this thread is all about headphone systems, implicitly.

As for integrated amps having DACs and headphone outs that rival dedicated devices, I'm sorry but you'll need to back that up with more than vague appeals to "are said to".  Also, a flagship chip does not a TOTL DAC make. Implementation is important as well.

Finally, dedicated power amplifiers definitely do not have headphone amp circuity shoe-horned in.