Delidding a Core i7 6700K

I don't think delidding would be enough to go one entire multiplier higher than one can currently get to though. Maybe half a multiplier as a guess. This is not a totally useless observation especially with Skylake, since base clock overclocking is really a thing now.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

17 hours ago, Majestic said:

But nobody has any data about temperature vs. lifespan.

After your answer one area where heat-dissipating plays a big role popped up in my mind: Servers.

I would guess the big server farms have that data and sometimes they share it. I think last month one of the big ones shared their data on life expectancy of the different SSD´s they used.

And I would guess the Coin Mining companies have that data, too.

In my company we actually tested that to some point. We assembled a server for a customer and needed to add another CPU. A week before that I had a discussion with my boss about thermal compounds and he actually ordered a better brand than we usually use.

At the stress testing the CPU we installed had about 10°C less temperature than the pre-installed CPU. ( I don´t remember the OEM, we sell HP, DELL, Lenovo and so on)

There was no delid, that is just the TIM between the CPU and the Cooler making the difference. If you add a minmum of 3°C a delid could bring to that.

That is an huge amount of thermal energy that does not need to be cooled.

Sure its not about regular users anymore, but the influence of the right TIM is visible.

In conclusion I would say, if you exchange all the TIM in a laptop including a delid you would get more performance out of it. Less power consumption, less CPU throttling and so on.

3 minutes ago, Opferlamm113 said:

In conclusion I would say, if you exchange all the TIM in a laptop including a delid you would get more performance out of it. Less power consumption, less CPU throttling and so on.

Lower temperatures do not change power draw, and the thermal energy emitted by the component remains the same. The only difference here is that the cooling efficiency is better due to the higher quality TIM. CPU throttling only occurs if the CPU overheats. If it doesn't overheat, no thermal throttling.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Opferlamm113 said:

I will accept that correction.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

With those physics in mind and some extra ones I think it should be possible to show that the 3° Kelvin extra cooling from the delid using the stock cooler are actually very good. Sadly my Basic Physics Course from university is not sufficient enough to prove it.

7 hours ago, Majestic said:

Explain mr 4 post man. You do realise i speak from experience I hope.

oooo you sure got me with the 4 whole posts. Now lets make it 5.

Have you actually delidded a 6700k? Have you actually put it in a system that has a cooling setup significantly more substantial than just an aio? And have you actually pushed one past the voltage of 1.45v that is generally considered "safe"?

I have been wondering about the video contradicting the results found everywhere else. Even with IC Diamond being a subpar option for TIM, the "just a few degrees" Celsius delta that @LinusTech is reporting makes no sense.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

9 hours ago, Opferlamm113 said:

LOL

Guy used the D14 box to cover things up to increase temperatures artificially. I briefly considered doing a test of that on my own, but I never thought of doing that. I commend the guy for the creative use of a cardboard box.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

On 3/3/2016 at 11:36 AM, Silicon Lottery said:

I've delidded over 100 6700Ks, and I've never seen anything less than a 10C drop across the cores (closer to 15C when pushing the voltage.)

If you're going to delid, a liquid metal like CLU is a must and you need to clean as much of Intel's sealant off as you can to narrow the gap between the die and the IHS.

what do you do that let you delid so many?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

what do you do that let you delid so many?

He runs a website that sells binned chips, and offers delidding service. Highly recommend it. $50 and you get a well done delid, you get a reseal, and you get the risk associated with delidding off your shoulders.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all

On 25-3-2016 at 4:51 PM, EdgeOfSanity said:

oooo you sure got me with the 4 whole posts. Now lets make it 5.

Have you actually delidded a 6700k? Have you actually put it in a system that has a cooling setup significantly more substantial than just an aio? And have you actually pushed one past the voltage of 1.45v that is generally considered "safe"?

No my 4670K, at 1.412V. 

But that's my point, you have to use something more than regular cooling to reap the benefits. Hence the vast majority of people (note the word "RARELY") won't substantially increase their overclock by delidding. Since the thermals, while high, are generally not the bottleneck. 1,3V, on the stock TIM, with a AIO is easily do-able. 

Linus is just over-exaggerating and is leaving straw all over the place...

4 hours ago, Majestic said:

No my 4670K, at 1.412V. 

But that's my point, you have to use something more than regular cooling to reap the benefits. Hence the vast majority of people (note the word "RARELY") won't substantially increase their overclock by delidding. Since the thermals, while high, are generally not the bottleneck. 1,3V, on the stock TIM, with a AIO is easily do-able. 

Linus is just over-exaggerating and is leaving straw all over the place...

You shouldn't make blanket statements that are false. You are correct in that the only people who really should be delidding their processors are those with the means to take advantage of the increased voltage headroom and are willing to accept the risks associated with delidding.

And yes, Linus is pandering to his target audience.

2 minutes ago, EdgeOfSanity said:

You shouldn't make blanket statements that are false.

Wasn't a blanket statement, because I carefully added those caveats. And it wasn't false, you just misunderstood. 

On 25/03/2016 at 0:01 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

I will accept that correction.

You should head over to Overclock.net or visit some events where they use exotic cooling, you might learn a few things instead of throwing out ignorance as fact.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

On 25/03/2016 at 0:05 AM, HdFkK said:

Well, my 6700K isn´t. :D

That will be because it isn't Haswell-E... it's a skylake CPU...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

2 hours ago, Benji_w said:

That will be because it isn't Haswell-E... it's a skylake CPU...

Haswell-E doesn't need a delid, it uses a soldered die to IHS.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

On 29-3-2016 at 3:45 AM, Benji_w said:

You should head over to Overclock.net or visit some events where they use exotic cooling, you might learn a few things instead of throwing out ignorance as fact.

He retracted his statement upon presented with sufficient evidence. Why are you berating him for doing something totally normal.

Not everyone knows everything, and even the most informed persons can make a bad remark. 

The only thing that would've been deplorable, was if he had still continued or make some cheap remark to debunk it.

And it's even more ironic when it's coming from you, the biggest AMD FX apologist on the forum. Talk about being wilfully ignorant.

Here's a sweet tool for delidding if you're afraid of using a wise :

Can be bought at: https://www.entersetup.com/

Edited by Crabcake
updated video url and shop link as the guy decided to start selling them due to high demand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Linus got a delidding tool in the mail, he can now show how to make a proper delid.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, Opferlamm113 said:

Linus got a delidding tool in the mail, he can now show how to make a proper delid.

Any idea what tool he got, and when he's going to use it?

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST