Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X
59 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

MacOSX is incredible...their hardware is an utter garbage money grab. I am sorry but I am not paying $400 extra for 32gb of DDR3 RAM. IOS is a different story. I like the iphone it feels solid and has some cool features, but my god it is pricey. Also IOS updates need to happen way more often. Everyday my phone has a stupid glitch like getting stuck in a menu with that swipe down or left stupidness. IOS 7 was the last good IOS and everything before that was stellar.

I can completely agree with everything you said. I love my iPhone 6, but there are so many problems that make me want to get a Samsung or Nexus like some people I know. The newest iOS's have been trash, true, and I still love using my iPad 1 without Siri or a camera, stuck at iOS 5.1.2 because of its super shitty interior specs. OSX is lovely I agree, and I will probably just do a partition + Hackintosh on my desktop build to take advantage of what I do actually like about it personally.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

my macbook pro retina 15 is my main computer. It has it's ups and downs.

I like to think of them as hipster machines

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

10 hours ago, jackm1120 said:

Its habitual. People who use macs are generally used to things a certain way, and the same goes for windows. I use windows because i was raised on it, and i have an Iphone because thats the mobile platform i was raised on aswell, despite the fact that the 6s cost me almost a grand and the layout sucks, i just like having ios and imessage because its something i know, not that its better

Same kind of mentality. I use Windows and I am used to the way things are. I learned to like it (much less be able to use it) through school since in my house we had a really ancient Mac Book Plastic one. Then I grew to love Windows when using XP in school. Then few years later they upgraded to 7 and since then I liked it. At one point I started to like Macs more. BUT That phase ended quickly and the PC re-affirmed it's position in my life. And then I needed a smartphone. Having liked Windows 8.1 and the Live Tiles and stuff. I naturally sprung to Windows Phone because it looked really cool and familiar (and because I really hated how little privacy android had). It struck me as being futuristic and forward thinking. Personally I prefer the metro start screen FOR laptops with a touchscreen. (This is why When I get my Surface Pro 4. I'll be using it in tablet mode a lot) But what really made me pick Windows Phone was that I wanted it to be familiar and yet instantly recognizable. I wanted it to be an extension of my computer. And so I found a windows phone with some decent specs and great price and bought one. Do I regret it? A little bit but only because of the app gap. Nothing else about it bothers me.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 3/8/2016 at 7:55 AM, Zubkover said:

Dunno if that was said, but my main reason of hate, is that there were two companies...
Or actually two companies that somewhat excelled in the first PC era years - IBM and Apple.
One was open environment, one was closed.

Apple failed. IBM won, and Apple had to "take over" schematics of the hardware in order to survive.

Now we have NEARLY every PC company, and Apple.

APPLE IS STILL FU* CLOSED ENVIRONMENT FFS, WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS SECOND TIME!?

Apple-only peripherals? WAT. Apple-only connectors? WAT.
Ok, thunderbolt is ok, but still. Even Mac-only users genuinely hate Apple for this tactic.

Ow, and also. WHY WOULD YA SOLDER CHIPS ONTO THE BOARDS OF NON-LAPTOPS?! WHY.

in reference to what? Mac's accept standard RAM, HDD's, SSD's, and all peripherals I honestly can't name a mouse or keyboard that didn't work on a Mac and I even had a better experience with device support on my Mac, for example my audio interface which I didn't need ANY drivers for on my Mac but on my PC I had to download them.

Now if you are referring to GPU's and CPU's then sure I get where you are coming from but Mac's are for people who don't want to deal with the "hassle" of upgrading components or maybe they are okay with paying a premium to have apple install their RAM because they are afraid too. As people who build and upgrade our own computers it's a hard thing to understand. My beef with apple is that they inflate their prices an incredible amount and to be specific I chose parts to match and that slightly exceeded the $1800 iMac and the PC cost was close to $1000

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I can't find a 5k display for less than $1200.  Where are you getting $1000 for everything?

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

2 hours ago, KWelz said:

I can't find a 5k display for less than $1200.  Where are you getting $1000 for everything?

Should've specified.. hardware for $1000, and to the display... apple makes gorgeous machines and displays, however I do recall the 'i Switched to Mac" series where the iMac did have trouble driving the display with jittery animations and what not, that being said I still think the iMac is a great machine. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I personally find Macs to be pretty great. I use my desktop, running Arch, while in my dorm, but use my MacBook Pro when I'm outside. I've still yet to find any laptop with a trackpad as good as Apple's and the OSX terminal lets me SSH into my desktop when I need to do work.

2 hours ago, ruiqimao said:

I personally find Macs to be pretty great. I use my desktop, running Arch, while in my dorm, but use my MacBook Pro when I'm outside. I've still yet to find any laptop with a trackpad as good as Apple's and the OSX terminal lets me SSH into my desktop when I need to do work.

yes yes yes about the track pad, sweet jesus did they do that right, even build quality is superb. I've also never enjoyed a laptop keyboard as much as I have Mac's even their wired keyboard felt great, I prefer mechanical now but Mac keyboards are always nice to use. 

25 minutes ago, mbryant said:

yes yes yes about the track pad, sweet jesus did they do that right, even build quality is superb. I've also never enjoyed a laptop keyboard as much as I have Mac's even their wired keyboard felt great, I prefer mechanical now but Mac keyboards are always nice to use. 

I agree, mechanical is nice for desktop gaming and work, etc. but Mac keyboards are pretty nice to take mobile or for like web browsing

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

3 hours ago, mikat said:

everyone i tell that i have an orange computer goes:

giphy.gif

and i tell them:

giphy.gif

Exactly :D it's nice to switch something up from the standard black or greyscale PC case. I have a big black desk command station thing from IKEA, and the PC goes underneath on like a stand, and it's nice to not have a black desk, black mouse, black everything :D and my RGB keyboard does help spice it up. 

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Mac OS is a good Operating system, however the mac computers arent worth more than $300 considering they use 5 year old hardware.

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

6 minutes ago, Xerora said:

Mac OS is a good Operating system, however the mac computers arent worth more than $300 considering they use 5 year old hardware.

TIL Haswell, Broadwell, and PCIE SSDs are five years old.

The 13" rMBP is priced competitively with its competition albeit it's competition is using Skylake CPUs while Apple is still using Broadwell (but Broadwell Iris Pro > Skylake HD 530), so...trade offs. The 15" rMBP is a bit different (although if it was on Skylake with Skylake Iris Pro it would still be more or less price-competitive, but Haswell and Haswell Iris Pro is disappointing compared to Skylake HD530).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Skylake and PCIE SSDs are 5 years old?  News to me. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You forgot Skylake for the iMacs.  And damn you for beating me. 

4 minutes ago, KWelz said:

You forgot Skylake for the iMacs.  And damn you for beating me. 

Didn't know iMacs were updated. 

What the fuck Apple....The 15" rMBP hasn't been upgraded since October 2013. I don't care about the added CPU power since it won't make that much of a difference in the end, but Skylake Iris Pro wipes the floor with Haswell Iris Pro. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes they were.,   They were updated middle of last year. May or june if I Remember correctly.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The 13" rMBP is priced competitively with its competition albeit it's competition is using Skylake CPUs while Apple is still using Broadwell (but Broadwell Iris Pro > Skylake HD 530), so...trade offs. The 15" rMBP is a bit different (although if it was on Skylake with Skylake Iris Pro it would still be more or less price-competitive, but Haswell and Haswell Iris Pro is disappointing compared to Skylake HD530).

@djdwosk97 working haswell chips were unveiled in 2011 and later released to public in 2013, following a refresh in 2014. Mathematic wise; 2016 - 2011 = 5. so 5 year old hardware, mate.

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

2 minutes ago, Xerora said:

@djdwosk97 working haswell chips were unveiled in 2011 and later released to public in 2013, following a refresh in 2014. Mathematic wise; 2016 - 2011 = 5. so 5 year old hardware, mate.

Are you high? 

No, but seriously, are you high? Can I get some of what you're on? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Are you high? 

Sadly, not right now.

Streamer/Content Creator

Just now, Xerora said:

That is the most backwards and ignorant argument I have seen.  

3 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Yes they were.,   They were updated middle of last year. May or june if I Remember correctly.

They had a RAM and SSD capacity bump, but other than that they're identical (unless I'm mistaken, am I?)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

yes they are 1200 bucks for a duel core and integrated graphics

Core i5 4590 @3.4ghz, EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4gb @1200mhz, MSI Z97s SLI Krait edition, 8gb HyperXFury White @2033mhz, Inside the NZXT S340