Doom (2016) Alpha OpenGL Benchmarks Surface – AMD Radeon faster than Nvidia Geforce (for now)

Mr_Troll
Just now, Misanthrope said:

Actually I'd expect better from iD normally, but you're right.

looking back at former feats and hoping the new game will be good is stupid.

look at Duke Nukem.... 13 fucking years of waiting and the end result was the most fucking bland, rushed and generic piece of shit ever.

I had hopes for Doom, until i saw Bethesda being involved. And from that moment on, i knew the performance optimization of the game would be 2010~ish, textures lower res then necessary and general gameplay would be "left up to the community"... aka "please mod this so we can spend less money making a game".....

Wanna know how Doom turns out?

Look at Fallout 4, thats how it gonna turn out.

Aka take the best concepts and mods from FO3, increase world size, market the shit out of it, create hype, deliver the most halfarsed polished turd yet. Nobody cares because you can just fix all bethesdas shit with mods.

I may enjoy other Bethesda titles, such as The Elder Scrolls series. But that is not thanks to Bethesda, not in the least.

Just now, Prysin said:

look at Duke Nukem.... 13 fucking years of waiting and the end result was the most fucking bland, rushed and generic piece of shit ever.

I had hopes for Doom, until i saw Bethesda being involved. And from that moment on, i knew the performance optimization of the game would be 2010~ish, textures lower res then necessary and general gameplay would be "left up to the community"... aka "please mod this so we can spend less money making a game".....

Aka take the best concepts and mods from FO3, increase world size, market the shit out of it, create hype, deliver the most halfarsed polished turd yet. Nobody cares because you can just fix all bethesdas shit with mods.

I may enjoy other Bethesda titles, such as The Elder Scrolls series. But that is not thanks to Bethesda, not in the least.

Tru dat: iD's probably lost without Carmack. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Regardless of how good the actual game is.... Even without Carmack I expect a technically high quality release from id. Besides the core engine work was done (they say) when he left. Rage only got a bad rep on release because of a driver mess-up.

One thing I don't like judging from those benches is that it seems there is a 60fps cap. It's ok for me cause I use a 60Hz IPS display. But it's a waste for people on 120Hz+...

60FPS cap? For a twitch shooter? Um.....

41 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Regardless of how good the actual game is.... Even without Carmack I expect a technically high quality release from id. Besides the core engine work was done (they say) when he left. Rage only got a bad rep on release because of a driver mess-up.

One thing I don't like judging from those benches is that it seems there is a 60fps cap. It's ok for me cause I use a 60fps IPS display. But it's a waste for people on 120Hz+...

Yeah, I have a 144hz screen and I have trouble playing pretty much all games when they aren't at that rate. It just feels laggy after adapting to high refresh. 

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually I'd expect better from iD normally, but you're right.

I've been in the open beta and frankly it ran quite well. No trace of id tech 5's pop in or poor gpu usage.

And considering this game has been in development for at least 3 years I can't blame them for not launching on vulkan. Maybe the next game using id tech 6 will.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, TheCovertCamper said:

60FPS cap? For a twitch shooter? Um.....

yeah, I play on a 60hz monitor anyway but I hope the lock isn't in the final release.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

GameGPU still doesnt know how to make graphs ...

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

yeah, I play on a 60hz monitor anyway but I hope the lock isn't in the final release.

It's a useless limitation. 

2 hours ago, SuperShires said:

When 1 R9 280X beats a 780 TI SLI @ 1440p :o

Game doesn´t support sli or xfire.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

I like the vanilla Elder Scrolls games...

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

I like the vanilla Elder Scrolls games...

Same.

I haven't installed a single mod onto any of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. Simply because I prefer an unmodified, unaltered, pure experience.

And besides, other Bethesda-published titles are generally not open to modification to the same degree as Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Oh.

This is a surprise.

But why OpenGL and not DirectX benches?

idTech 6 is primarily a OpenGL and Vulkan engine, as far as I'm aware.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Interesting. Game is still now out yet, more optimizations will be done until and will want to see benchamrs with uncapped framerate for sure.

But game seems to be running great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

52 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

Same.

I haven't installed a single mod onto any of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. Simply because I prefer an unmodified, unaltered, pure experience.

And besides, other Bethesda-published titles are generally not open to modification to the same degree as Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

I personally have a few story mods for Skyrim (to lengthen the awesome gameplay) and I also have a good amount of visual mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4 (i.e. black anodized PipBoy, 4k grass textures, etc.)

27 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Interesting. Game is still now out yet, more optimizations will be done until and will want to see benchamrs with uncapped framerate for sure.

But game seems to be running great.

The engine is derived from idtech5.

That too had a 60fps framerate cap in Rage. Was tied to the physics or something...

Not quite sure how the 380x is beating the 980 though? I've seen AMD recently pulling ahead due to more flexible compute and reduced DX overhead, but something appears to be legitimately going wrong for Nvidia cards in this game. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

The engine is derived from idtech5.

That too had a 60fps framerate cap in Rage. Was tied to the physics or something...

I can see it before release, doubt that it would be 60fps capped on PC on release. I've heard they're targeting 1080p60fps for console so I'd also assume with new engine they would not tie it and lock cause of physics and all. While game is in testing currently still no confirmation but release will tell.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

From any other company, I'd say perhaps.  From id, I wouldn't count on it....

hopes-deleted-300x169.gif

9 hours ago, Mr_Troll said:

-snip-

Wow a game that runs on  a good old OpenGL. Thats rare. Eventually Nvidia will get better later on cause they are better at openGL.

Source:http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-alpha-test-gpu.html

http://wccftech.com/doom-2016-alpha-benchmarks-geforce-amd-radeon/

That's what I was thinking... Should also make for a good port to OS X too given that it's already on OpenGL. 

AMD has always had the upper hand on OpenGL though, so no surprises here. It's not turning out to be a good year for Nvidia in the media, is it? 

8 hours ago, Prysin said:

Having such a high amount of cynicism in your expectations of games is stupid.

I understand everyone gets mad at games that look like they would be good, but turn out to miss the expectation -- not the hyped unrealistic expectation, just the actual expectation of the game being good -- you and everyone else have got to stop with the cynicism. You're going to drive yourselves mad.