Terribly Misleading LTT Video

-BirdiE-

I normally recommend LTT videos like the Water Cooling Guide, and the Overclocking Guide to friends who come to me looking to do these things.

However, today LTT released a CPU Deliding video on Vessel (Will be on YouTube next week), and the video misinforms to the point where I felt the need to write a post about it.

https://www.vessel.com/videos/JrsaNa4vU

*DISCLAIMER: For you scientists out there, yes, I understand that there is more to thermal transfer than this and it does not have the same hard bottlenecks that hardware benchmarking has, but I'm trying to keep this simple*

In the video he delids an i7-6700k... But he runs the CPU at stock settings, with a stock Intel heatsink, and regular thermal paste between the die and IHS. There are some MAJOR problems /w doing this and coming to the conclusion that "deliding has almost no impact on performance":

1) Stock Intel Heatsink: The stock cooler is the first major problem. The whole idea behind deliding is that the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) that is used by Intel creates a bottleneck in the heat transfer process. As anyone who works with computers knows, in order to truly test the difference in performance of one component you must remove the possibility of a bottleneck elsewhere in the system. You can't run a test that concludes a GTX 960 performs about the same as a Titan X while running them with a Pentium 4 CPU. A similar principle applies here. Since the stock cooler is not very good and can't get rid of heat very fast, it is likely either the limiting factor in the thermal transfer process OR does not have the performance to show off the real extend of the bottleneck.

2) Stock CPU Settings: The other major problem is that the CPU is running at stock settings. Firstly, I get the feeling that there are not a ton of people buying a 6700k, deliding it, and then running it at stock settings with the stock cooler. Secondly, yes, the CPU is running at 100% load for those settings, but in order to really test the bottleneck you want to generate as much input (in this case heat) as possible and measure the output. By overclocking you create much more heat and the thermal limitations of the TIM used by Intel becomes apparent.

3) Replacement TIM: If the reason you're deliding is that the TIM used by Intel isn't as effective as the 100% metal solder they used to use was... Replacing it with normal paste instead of CoolLaboratory's 100% metal Liquid Pro/Ultra probably isn't the most effective thing to do, especially when trying to test the potential difference in performance. I would say about 90% of people who delid their CPUs and put the IHS back on use Liquid Pro/Ultra for good reason; it is much better at thermal transfer than your traditional thermal pastes due to its 100% metal composition.

In summation, he introduces another potential bottleneck, doesn't generate enough heat to really test it, uses a less than optimal TIM replacement, then concludes that this test clearly demonstrates that there are no potential gains to ever be had by deliding your CPU. I am confident in saying that this is VERY misleading for both the reasons given, and the 20C difference I saw by deliding my 4770K.

With that being said, if you are not planning on overclocking or using a good 3rd party cooling solution deliding is not for you. You will not see a big difference in temperatures, risk damaging your CPU, and void your warranty.

50% of recent LTT videos have been factually incorrect as well as the overall approach (airflow vid) is just wrong

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, ninninon said:

I think it's just Linus is still busy setting things up from the move.

Just now, Prolapser said:

so the quality of his videos significantly degrade? not acceptable.

While I understand that he may not have as much time right now, I'd much rather him not release a video EVERY day, and actually make the videos good.

59 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

50% of recent LTT videos have been factually incorrect as well as the overall approach (airflow vid) is just wrong

i have to second this.

It appears the content is moving towards "a quick buck" rather then properly quality content.

But i can understand it too, since they target one video a day, which means a much more hectic shedule. And with only so many editors and "actors/presenters" avalible, it is doomed to go downhill with the quality if the quantitity is to remain high.

I'd rather see a video every other day, rather then each day, if that brought the quality up. Both in terms of actual content, AND the actual filming.

Just now, Prolapser said:

I sort of have to agree - it's turning into a habit.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

9 minutes ago, sissj said:

K.

satiama_ok_thumbnail_grande.jpg?v=145205

Reminds me of Saitama

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, ninninon said:

I'd expect so, the building was fitted to specification from scratch. It still isn't finished, neither is the network, there's been a forum update. I'd like to see you cope as well as @LinusTech is doing...

just make less videos and put more effort in them, simple. and nice job tagging linus as an attempt to attack me.

2 minutes ago, ninninon said:

I'd expect so, the building was fitted to specification from scratch. It still isn't finished, neither is the network, there's been a forum update. I'd like to see you cope as well as @LinusTech is doing...

If you're a business, producing a product, it should not be the consumer that suffers because you have made decisions that make it difficult to run your business.

3 minutes ago, ninninon said:

One of my pet hates is people saying "K" to a post they're not interested in...

English isn't your native language is it? I don't mean to be rude or anything but in the future you might want to write it as pet peeves, as pet hates sounds really awkward and generally doesn't make any sense.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

4 minutes ago, Prolapser said:

If its so easy to do, lets see you try and run a company like Linus. What makes you think your so entitled?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just now, bob345 said:

If its so easy to do, lets see you try and run a company like Linus. What makes you think your so entitled?

Linus has 12 employees to work with - I'm sure micromanaging them is not as difficult.

Yup, Linus is assuming the heat transfer is a linear curve, and you'll see the same results (3-4c change) no matter what temp you had prior to delidding.

I don't believe that is the case, and I think it is entirely dependent on the cooler.

1 minute ago, ninninon said:

You might need to stop jumping to conclusions and understand that English is a varied language with many minor variations differing from country to country, county to county, town to town, person to person.

I did say I wasn't trying to be rude. I was not aware that it's said differently in other countries. I have friends in the UK, Australia and family in Canada and I've never heard it said like that. Sorry

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bob345 said:

It's pretty straight-forward business. A company produces a product (in this case videos), and if thy put themselves in a situation where they're not able to deliver a quality product, it doesn't really matter why... Not the consumer's fault.

If you went to buy a GPU from EVGA, and it was poorly made so you complained, an acceptable response from them would not be "Oh, well we just moved locations... I'd like to see you try and run this company better!"

It's fairly obvious they're at the point where they're just rushing videos to meet their daily video, it shouldn't be quantity over quality but they need money.

I mean just look at WAN Show, their quality control is actually baffling, I'd be embarrassed.

Just now, -BirdiE- said:

It's pretty straight-forward business. A company produces a product (in this case videos), and if thy put themselves in a situation where they're not able to deliver a quality product, it doesn't really matter why... Not the consumer's fault.

If you went to buy a GPU from EVGA, and it was poorly made so you complained, an acceptable response from them would not be "Oh, well we just moved locations... I'd like to see you try and run this company better!"

Ugh doesn't matter if it's a big comapny or a small company.

You have to remember they're all humans. Linus's got a family. All his other employees also probably and of course they have lives as well. He built his company from scratch, scratch. I would love to see people try to do that. It's extremely hard and takes years and years to do so. I don't agree on the videos though, I found some of them quite good.

Such as the airflow when stuffing a computer full of clothes to mimic wires, and such.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

Ugh doesn't matter if it's a big comapny or a small company.

You have to remember they're all humans. Linus's got a family. All his other employees also probably and of course they have lives as well. He built his company from scratch, scratch. I would love to see people try to do that. It's extremely hard and takes years and years to do so. I don't agree on the videos though, I found some of them quite good.

Such as the airflow when stuffing a computer full of clothes to mimic wires, and such.

The airflow video was literally pathetic - they used a rear-exhaust card which renders the whole exercise a colossal waste of everyone's time

Just now, don_svetlio said:

The airflow video was literally pathetic - they used a rear-exhaust card which renders the whole exercise a colossal waste of everyone's time

But he was judging CPU temps, wasnt he?

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

But he was judging CPU temps, wasnt he?

He was specifically stating GPU temps IIRC