Updated Ashes of Singularity Benchmark-AMD Clobbers Nvidia

DocSwag

Sources:http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/223567-amd-clobbers-nvidia-in-updated-ashes-of-the-singularity-directx-12-benchmark and http://anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta/5

The Ashes of Singularity benchmark has now been update, and now supports Asynchronous Compute.

With asynchronous compute disabled, AMD’s R9 Fury X leads the GTX 980 Ti by 7-8% across all three detail levels. Enable asynchronous compute, however, and AMD roars ahead, beating its Nvidia counterpart by 24-28%. The GeForce GTX 980 Ti’s performance, in contrast, drops by 5-8% if asynchronous compute is enabled. This accounts for some of the gap between the two manufacturers, but by no means all of it.

Asynchronous compute is basically AMD's secret weapon. AMD has had it with GCN since the 7970 but it was never fully taken advantage of. Now, though, we can see how much of an impact it makes. With normal DX12 the Fury X is beating the 980 ti not by much, but enable asynchronous compute and AMD's lead is astronomical.

this could mean a lot for AMD. DX12 seems to really favor AMD already, but enable Async Compute and AMD just crushes Nvidia.

GCN's hidden weapon has finally come out, and AMD is really getting Nvidia with this one.

Unfortunately, most games probably won't support it for a long time.

Now some of you might be confused. So what exactly is asynchronous compute?

As most of you know, most CPUs only have a handful of cores, while most GPUs have thousands of individual cores.

Normally, a GPU only does one operation at a time. However, when more cores(or stream processors for AMD) are added, sometimes not all of the cores are utilized.

Asynchronous compute aims to help get rid of this issue by letting the GPU do many things at once.

Most of you probably already know that the 980 ti has 2816 CUDA Cores while the Fury X has 4096. The Fury X also has more computing power than the 980 ti.

However, not all of the Fury X's cores always get utilized. However, by adding asynchronous compute you can utilize all of these.

Normally some of the Fury X's power is not utilized, while most of the 980 ti's is. Now, however, asynchronous compute better utilizes all of the power.

As well, the Fury X and every other gcn card has a sync compute/shading optimizations on the hardware level. Maxwell does not (I don't think so, I could be wrong). This also helps AMD out a lot.

Driver optimization is probably also part of the equation. Nvidia has to build this feature into its drivers to enable it. Anandtech also explains this quite well.

Again in a traditional environment all of this is fine, however as GPUs have advanced they have begun to test the limits of a single execution queue. As GPUs add ever more ALUs, even embarrassingly parallel begins to break down, and it is harder to keep a GPU filled the more ALUs there are to fill. Meanwhile new paradigms such as virtual reality have come along, where certain operations such as time warping require executing them with far less latency than the traditional high throughput/high latency execution model of a GPU allows. Thus GPU developers and software developers alike have needed the means to concurrently execute multiple jobs on a GPU’s ALUs, and this is where asynchronous shading comes in.

Whereas the traditional model is serial execution, asynchronous shading is executing multiple jobs over the ALUs at the same time. By implementing multiple queues within a GPU’s thread scheduler, a GPU executing jobs in an asynchronous manner can potentially run upwards of several jobs at once; more queues presents more options for work. Doing so can allow a GPU to be better utilized – by filling the underutilized ALUs with additional, related work – and at the same time work queues can be prioritized so that more important queues get finished sooner, if not as soon as outright possible.

However, don't get too optimistic yet. This is only a beta benchmark, and most likely won't get supported for quite a while.

DX12 probably won't be coming to games for quite a while, and even after they do, chances are they won't all support it.

This is interesting as it has given AMD a huge performance uplift. It will be interesting to see how Nvidia reacts to this.

Also, it isn't like DX 12 is making Nvidia's performance worse and AMD's a little better. It is giving both a performance uplift-AMD is just getting more benefit.

Ashes of the Singularity (Beta) - 3840x2160 - High Quality

Also, if some of you suddenly saw a ton of information pop up all of a sudden its cause I went back and edited it so that it is more understandable.

Again, NO THIS DOES NOT MEAN AMD IS NOW BETTER THAN NVIDIA. Asynchronous compute won't be coming for at least a year and most likely around 3-4 years. Some games will probably start to support it in around 2 years but most games probably will take longer to do so.

EDIT: Check this article by Anandtech out http://www.anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta goes pretty in depth to it. Nvidia seems to not have it optimized in their drivers, so that could be something to take note of.

Also if you guys are still confused check out this video made by AMD that explains a sync compute/shading quite well 

Thanks to @Jahramika for showing me the video! It really gives you a good visual to imagine it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

DX12 reinforces my decision to upgrade to Zen over Polaris, the 290X has massive gains when the driver overhead is removed.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

DANG IT. I just posted this a minute late - please let me finish my post, moderators. I am going to make a very high quality write up.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I cannot wait for a-sync compute games to come out, even if I get a new GPU I'd like to test them on my current 7970.

I used to be quite active here.

So do we now recommend the Fury X over the 980 Ti? sort of confused

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

DX12 reinforces my decision to upgrade to Zen over Polaris, the 290X has massive gains when the driver overhead is removed.

Bruh, Zen is CPU and Polaris is GPU. Unless you meant not needing to upgrade your GPU and just upgrade your CPU. It depends. Current GCN cards are not dx 12_1 compliant.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Bruh, Zen is CPU and Polaris is GPU. Unless you meant not needing to upgrade your GPU and just upgrade your CPU. It depends. Current GCN cards are not dx 12_1 compliant.

I know, that's exactly what I meant.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Not yet, still far too early for that. I think this will be more of a factor (or a factor at all) with the next generations of GPUs.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Not yet, still far too early for that. I think this will be more of a factor (or a factor at all) with the next generations of GPUs.

Fury X went from being 10% behind to 25% ahead - that's a 35% increase

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Oi....I almost feel bad for them, but fuck planned obsolescence.

original.jpg

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

11 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

no. on average the 980ti is a faster GPU.

AMD wins most of their performance battles across different price ranges, but not this one.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

snip

How does that show planned obsolescence? All those cards a current gen.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

This information has been around for a long time, and in initial testing done by anandtech these results stood. Basically GCN architecture has multiple compute capabilities, whereas Nvidia run a very efficient single pipeline so using the GPU to run calculations & rendering workloads at the same time causes bottlenecks in the pipeline for Nvidia cards as they have to wait for a task to complete, and then start the next task.

DX12 is wondrous, but you have to harness it and I doubt we'll see that happen for a number of years to come. 

Disclosure... This is kind of correct. 

Guru3d also did the test and they found something off with the FCAT analysis.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=207

AKA V-Sync is forced on at the end of the pipeline, which might skewer the results depending on where the measure point is taken in-engine. It's a driver issue.

Here's the thing, if your GPU is fast enough the numbers the benchmark produces exceed 60 FPS / 60 Hz. The game measures at the rendering port (and not the display end), then is post processed, passed to DX12 and the output rendered. So if at that stage your score can be like 92 FPS. However after that segment in the pipeline a lot of other stuff happens. In our case a 60Hz / FPS framerate . Where we measure with FCAT is definitive though, it's what your eyes will see and observe. 

Update: hours before the release of this article we got word back from AMD. They have confirmed our findings. Radeon Software 16.1 / 16.2 does not support a DX12 feature called DirectFlip, which is mandatory and the solver to this specific situation. AMD intends to resolve this issue in a future driver update.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

1 minute ago, Bensemus said:

How does that show planned obsolescence? All those cards a current gen.

To make Maxwell efficient, they threw out the backseat (hardware schedulers) and went "hey guys, look how much faster and lighter our car is." Lack of hardware schedulers is what is causing this performance disparity. Pascal is not skimping on compute capability and is most likely going to have hardware schedulers, which means people with very capable Maxwell cards will need to upgrade again.

This is the same shit they did with Kepler. Maxwell is better at tessellation so they spam it in GameWorks games which tanks performance and offers no visual improvements over a certain level (imagine running AA at 16x) and refuse to include the ability to change the levels in their drivers. This artificially decreases performance and makes people want to upgrade from their already expensive and very capable graphics cards. If you look at older games where tessellation is applied reasonably, the 970 is only slightly faster than a 780. In most GameWorks games that came out within the last 2 years, a 970 is faster than a 780 ti which used to cost about $700 at launch.

21 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Oi....I almost feel bad for them, but fuck planned obsolescence.

Planned obsolescence has nothing to do with this though. They just placed their bets differently.

Basically you can think of this as a method of ensuring that the GPU is very well fed with work and the utilization stays at 100%. So it's allowing the GCN hardware to be utilized to it's max.

As such asynchronous compute should be viewed as a positive for AMD, rather than a negative for current-gen Nvidia.

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

Planned obsolescence has nothing to do with this though.

Basically you can think of this as a method of ensuring that the GPU is very well fed with work and the utilization stays at 100%. So it's allowing the GCN hardware to be utilized to it's max.

As such asynchronous compute should be viewed as a positive for AMD, rather than a negative for Nvidia.

Maxwell cards were advertised as dx 12 ready cards, and Nvidia knew way ahead of time what that would imply. Here's my more detailed response:

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

To make Maxwell efficient, they threw out the backseat (hardware schedulers) and went "hey guys, look how much faster and lighter our car is." Lack of hardware schedulers is what is causing this performance disparity. Pascal is not skimping on compute capability and is most likely going to have hardware schedulers, which means people with very capable Maxwell cards will need to upgrade again.

This is the same shit they did with Kepler. Maxwell is better at tessellation so they spam it in GameWorks games which tanks performance and offers no visual improvements over a certain level (imagine running AA at 16x) and refuse to include the ability to change the levels in their drivers. This artificially decreases performance and makes people want to upgrade from their already expensive and very capable graphics cards. If you look at older games where tessellation is applied reasonably, the 970 is only slightly faster than a 780. In most GameWorks games that came out within the last 2 years, a 970 is faster than a 780 ti which used to cost about $700 at launch.

Ashes-1080p-Async

I like how it says High, Extreme and Crazy detail.

And interesting how NV gets lower FPS with Async enabled.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

17 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

snip

We still don't have any released games and we don't know how prevalent Async will be. Plus Nvidia loves software solutions so they may be able to close the gap again. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just now, Bensemus said:

We still don't have any released games and we don't know how prevalent Async will be. Plus Nvidia loves software solutions so they may be able to close the gap again. 

It was the same thing in the Fable Legends dx 12 benchmark. Hitman will have Async compute. That's 3 games already with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided likely to follow. Star Citizen will be using it when it gets a dx12 patch.

No, they cannot close this gap with software anymore. When Ashes 1st released, AMD smoked them. 3 months later, Nvidia closed the gap with software. We're back here again and with proper support for Async Compute and this is what happens. Pascal is not going to rely on software solutions because that would be suicide for Nvidia.

6 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Software solution may not be very effective in this case and can introduce higher driver overhead. We've seen how larger driver overhead affected amd cards. It's anything but good. 

Fucking broken qoute fuck.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well, looks like I'll be buying some next-gen cards. Someone is gonna get some KPE 980ti's on the cheap, lol.

I think what is really going to be remembered from this generation of cards (from both companies) is how well AMD GCN cards held their value, and how much Nvidia cards depreciated. No one is going to want Maxwell cards a year from now meaning ultra-low used card prices.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C