HP Elite x3 revealed - Your smartphone that is your laptop and desktop, running Windows 10 Mobile, and makes bacon.

GoodBytes

Looking forwards to a windows 10 phone this year, but this one will not be the one and the simple reason:

That speaker grill at the bottom, it's non symmetrical layout annoys me just by looking at it. It is not just that it is not symmetrical it is that it is designed just badly it looks like a manufacturing error and not a design choice.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

54 minutes ago, Carde said:

Looking forwards to a windows 10 phone this year, but this one will not be the one and the simple reason:

That speaker grill at the bottom, it's non symmetrical layout annoys me just by looking at it. It is not just that it is not symmetrical it is that it is designed just badly it looks like a manufacturing error and not a design choice.

Your best bet, is possibly the Surface Phone.

By then Windows 10 Mobile should be nicely ready, all feature well developed, and have a great phone.

1 hour ago, pit5000 said:

so the laptop is a wireless display and hub?

I like the idea of a single device running everything else you own. Isn't this where Apple has been trying to go for the last few years and still haven't gotten there yet? Obviously this windows phone hardware isn't the most powerful but at least they got the concept right. 

Its definitely a view of tomorrow. that we have now. But I think it is a very exciting first step. In reality, it will probably take 2-3 more years to really have the needed technology to make such setup viable for a larger market. Reminds me of the Surface Pro 1. The product was amazing at the time, sure it had issues, being first gen product, not to mention a first time for Microsoft, and the technology didn't allow for long battery life. But if we look at the Surface Pro 3, that thing really shines, and continues to improve. Same with the first iPhone. It didn't have apps or a store. It was limited, but future iteration, of the device really defined smartphone of tomorrow.

Right now, I see this continuum as a cool toy, and a cool tool for few people. But it stops there. But the day we have faster ARM processors, or more power efficient x86 CPUs to allow long battery life and performance, now we would be talking as a cool solution for the consumer that have little needs out of a computer: Surf the web/Facebook, and Office.

I just hope that people don't bash on this first gen stuff, to encourage investment form all parties to push things. In order words, have Android be able to do so the same, and who knows, maybe even Apple, and ideas are shared and it all comes together as a reality, and not a dream put on hold for many more years.

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I started reading this because I was promised bacon. I was lied to.

All my posts includes a full money back guaranty. You were refunded.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Yay, refunded a whole $0, effectively doubling the amount of $$$ I own.

I have to say.. the phone, the peripherals, all of it look gorgeous and I hope it is well-implemented.  If this turns out to be well-implemented, and there's a rush of support in to Windows 10 Mobile - that'll be wonderful.  I'm especially onboard with the encryption and VPN.  One of the big reasons for myself even looking to an iphone 7, or i7, is because of the strong built in encryption.

Edit:  Also the included NVME in the iPhone just sort of screams, "Well, I gotta have it." to me.

Edited by SurvivorNVL

6 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I have to say.. the phone, the peripherals, all of it look gorgeous and I hope it is well-implemented.  If this turns out to be well-implemented, and there's a rush of support in to Windows 10 Mobile - that'll be wonderful.  I'm especially onboard with the encryption and VPN.  One of the big reasons for myself even looking to an iphone 7, or i7, is because of the strong built in encryption.

Edit:  Also the included NVME in the iPhone just sort of screams, "Well, I gotta have it." to me.

Windows Phone is more secure than iOS is so there's that, although that may be more of a security by obscurity thing due to how little market share it has worldwide. Might also have to do with the API restrictions and sandboxing model.

11 hours ago, pit5000 said:

so the laptop is a wireless display and hub?

I like the idea of a single device running everything else you own. Isn't this where Apple has been trying to go for the last few years and still haven't gotten there yet? Obviously this windows phone hardware isn't the most powerful but at least they got the concept right. 

Excuse me? Windows Phone Hardware is on point. Only problem is software.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah i see, 30 hour money back guarantee :). Does this mean i get back the 3 minutes of my life spent on reading and watching this:D? /s

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ah i see, 30 hour money back guarantee :). Does this mean i get back the 3 minutes of my life spent on reading and watching this:D? /s

Only the money you spent to read the post that was sent to me.

It's nice to see another manufacturer make a high end Windows phone.

As for the phone itself, it seems to check all boxes but still not be very interesting. It has more or less the same specs as we will see in most flagship phones this year, except maybe the massive screen. The biggest differentiating features I can see with this phone are the front facing speakers (nice), drop resistance rating (very nice), the laptop dock (cool but not very useful) and Windows Phone 10 (bad).

I think the dock will be fairly useless and that's because you will be limited to the Metro apps, which as we all know is basically a wasteland when it comes to third party support. So chances are, you will want an x86 powered laptop to do things you traditionally use a laptop for. You might be able to do some writing on it but that's about it. It reminds me of Windows RT, which was even less usable than ChromeOS.

It would have been far more useful with an Intel Atom SoC.

Also, the phone won't come out until August, so about half a year from now.

10 hours ago, Daring said:

Windows Phone is more secure than iOS is so there's that

[Citation Needed]

While spec wise it's nothing spectacular in most places, that coating and B&O got me really interested. The only problem for me is OS but an interesting product nonetheless. 

Was not expecting this from HP. It's cool when a company surprises you. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

This looks like one hell of a phone. Windows Mobile still needs more apps, but I'm liking the look of it. I'd like to see some performance comparisons between android and Windows Mobile especially. The only problem that I don't see going away is lack of customisibility. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think the dock will be fairly useless and that's because you will be limited to the Metro apps, which as we all know is basically a wasteland when it comes to third party support. So chances are, you will want an x86 powered laptop to do things you traditionally use a laptop for. You might be able to do some writing on it but that's about it. It reminds me of Windows RT, which was even less usable than ChromeOS.

It would have been far more useful with an Intel Atom SoC.

From OP

HP will provide a cloud/remote-desktop like system, where company can setup their Win32 apps with HP, and be able to view/access them from the phone. So the Win32 app runs on the server, and some app on the phone remote desktop to the app itself, for using it on the phone. Pretty interesting solution.

That's right after the spec sheet, so while on its own, app support is far more limited that desktop linux, this could make it an excellent thin client solution.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

3 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

From OP

That's right after the spec sheet, so while on its own, app support is far more limited that desktop linux, this could make it an excellent thin client solution.

Well I was talking about it as a consumer product. Even for businesses though, remote desktop is not exactly an elegant and super responsive solution.

15 minutes ago, Sidiox said:

This looks like one hell of a phone. Windows Mobile still needs more apps, but I'm liking the look of it. I'd like to see some performance comparisons between android and Windows Mobile especially. The only problem that I don't see going away is lack of customisibility. 

Android will win in benchmarks.

This is the Windows vs Linux gaming performance dispute on reverse. Windows 10 Mobile due to lack of marketshare doesn't have highly optimized drivers that Android has from the manufacture. Windows 10 Mobile is nicely optimized compared to Android (based on what we can VISUALLY see from the phone responsiveness on low end hardware), but games on in, you can bet are quick ports. So benchmarks will show to be slower (not to mention that what ever benchmark that is available is not optimized and just a quick port), and many/some games  will run slower  (From what i can see some simple games run like a slideshow on my Lumia 950 XL with a Snapdragon 810 3Gb of RAM, and others more complex runs really well).

So yea.. comparing performance, for now, is difficult.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well I was talking about it as a consumer product. Even for businesses though, remote desktop is not exactly an elegant and super responsive solution.

I agree for consumer is a terrible product, most likely ill be to expensive and that it runs windows so the limited app support alone is a deal breaker, anyways i think what goodbyte said above about chips getting more powerful and still power efficient for a phone is the key to be a great experience. Continuum still has the potential to be great and useful tech.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If it came with Android, then maybe, just maybe, there would be chance to get an UBPort for it, and i'd end up with a balling UB device. Oh well, a man can only dream

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

If it came with Android, then maybe, just maybe, there would be chance to get an UBPort for it, and i'd end up with a balling UB device. Oh well, a man can only dream

What's the appeal of Ubuntu Touch? I'm genuinely curious. 

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

What's the appeal of Ubuntu Touch? I'm genuinely curious. 

to me: convergence and project arale (run normal linux programs regardless of the SoC architecture), also it looks good (never get tired of the ubuntu font)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm not a fan of this consolidation idea. My laptop is my laptop, my desktop is my desktop, and my phone is my phone. They are all designed with those specific purposes in mind, and that's the way I like it.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Your best bet, is possibly the Surface Phone.

By then Windows 10 Mobile should be nicely ready, all feature well developed, and have a great phone.

That is what I am hoping for :) by the time that is out my one plus will be over 2 years old to which means my senses allow me to replace it :)

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Still holding out for a atom equipped phone that can run x86 programs. now that will be the dream

2 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

Still holding out for a atom equipped phone that can run x86 programs. now that will be the dream

But it won't run on your phone directly. Continuum only.

This is because, well, ignoring the high-DPI issue with most Win32 programs, many of them aren't designed for touch. Meaning you can't hover on elements. In addition, many of them don't have a scalable window, or have a limit on the minimum size, which causes problem in the program not appearing correctly on your phone, let alone phone orientation.