which gtx 970 should I buy?

catdaddy93

I can not decide which one will be the best for performance and price. 

The asus strix 970?

or an evga 970? (Which has like 10 different models) 

i do not like msi cards because I have a blue build and the red will not match. 

Also I haven't heard much about msi cards. 

Also my PC is sitting on my desk. So the quieter the card the better. 

I know I sound picky. But if I'm gonna spend $300+ on a card I do not want regrets. 

Thanks for the help!

conner

Processor: I7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz

Ram: 32 gb of Avexir DDR3 ram

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9-390

PSU: 850w corsair RM series

CPU Cooler: H100i gtx

Case: Master case pro 5

Monitor: LG 29UM67P

Out of the two an Evga, but check to see if a Sapphire R9 390 is cheaper, if it is get that.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

none of them. Get an R9 390.

A R9 390 costs more than a 970. I personally like my strix card a lot and have gotten an extra 5% out of it easily 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A FTW+ Model from Evga if you must. 

Won't really consider the strix. There's been some horror stories going around about their customer support lately. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What is your CPU OP?

Just now, GDRRiley said:

A R9 390 costs more than a 970. I personally like my strix card a lot and have gotten an extra 5% out of it easily 

It's sadly plagued with coil whine issues

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Depends, do  you have a price limit? Brand preference? Color scheme preference?

Guys the OP asked about a GTX 970 not about a 970 vs an R9 390. Stop the flame war.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Buy one that matches your color scheme....  All the fancy fans in the world don't help b/c it runs cool anyway.

20 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

What is your CPU OP?

It's sadly plagued with coil whine issues

I have an i7 4790k OC'ed at 4.6 ghz. So bottle necking shouldn't be an issue 

4 minutes ago, catdaddy93 said:

do you have any preferences?  or just looking for performance and screw the color scheme?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

do you have any preferences?  or just looking for performance and screw the color scheme?

i am really picky about the color scheme, i am looking for a black/blue card.

Is the r9 390 that much better than the gtx 970?

I have had bad experiences with amd chips as a whole. so should i just wait and save up for a 980 or 980 ti?

so many options.

As @App4that mentioned below;

Its black with some blue. Here is a link and a picture for you.

EVGA:  http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Quieter-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4

81zC%2BNZEAkL._SL1200_.jpg

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

As @App4that mentioned below;

Its black with some blue. Here is a link and a picture for you.

EVGA:  http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Quieter-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4

The picture is a 2.0 FTW+ model.

the link is a 2.0 model.

is the FTW+ worth the extra $60?

1 minute ago, catdaddy93 said:

the link is a 2.0 model.

Yes, better power delivery.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, catdaddy93 said:

the link is a 2.0 model.

The page has a selection of the different models. The picture is of the FTW+.

Capture2.PNG.c96da8ab556e3cf918434c8af3d

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

yes, buy why SPECIFICALLY a 970? If you are doing CUDA work I understand, but the 390 gives you better performance/dollar.

No, no it doesn't. I've owned one. Out of the box, yes. But Even using GPU Boost the 970 catches a 390, let them overclock and the two are the same.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, no it doesn't. I've owned one. Out of the box, yes. But Even using GPU Boost the 970 catches a 390, let them overclock and the two are the same.

47 minutes ago, catdaddy93 said:

He has a i7 though, likely to cause little to no issues with overhead. And keep in mind its a silicone lottery, jayz2cent 390 OC beat his 970 OC. (I'm yet to even see a test that specifically shows that the 970 is more overclockable than a R9 390, if it exists show me- I hope they tested more than one card)>

Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

He has a i7 though, likely to cause little to no issues with overhead. And keep in mind its a silicone lottery, jayz2cent 390 OC beat his 970 OC. (I'm yet to even see a test that specifically shows that the 970 is more overclockable than a R9 390, if it exists show me- I hope they tested more than one card)>

Overclock both cards and a variety of games and both are the same. Look at all the tests, in some games the 390 beats the 970, and in others the 970 wins.

I'm saying this more to the Forum than you, there is no winner. Everyone wants a winner so telling other people what to buy is easy, and can have pride in their choice in graphics card. But it's not easy, and we all have different needs.

13 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Overclock both cards and a variety of games and both are the same. Look at all the tests, in some games the 390 beats the 970, and in others the 970 wins.

I'm saying this more to the Forum than you, there is no winner. Everyone wants a winner so telling other people what to buy is easy, and can have pride in their choice in graphics card. But it's not easy, and we all have different needs.

Exactly, the 2 cards meet different needs. If the GTX970 meets the OP's needs then this tit for tat is for not.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Exactly, the 2 cards meet different needs. If the GTX970 meets the OP's needs then this tit for tat is for not.

I wasn't tatting, if that helps xD

If someone plays nothing but online FPS games, BAM! That MOFO needs a 390. Hook that brother up.

If someone has horrid taste in games like myself, the 970 will offer a less frustrating experience.

That's how I see it, the persons choice in games usually takes care of the overhead issue.

For non red cards:

1. EVGA GTX 970
  2. Inno3D GTX 970
  3. Zotac GTX 970
  4. Powercolor GTX 970

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

24 minutes ago, App4that said:

Of course agreed, if he will stick with 1080p and go for a overclock the 970 is good. But, if he doesn't want to overclock nor wants to stick with 1080p he can go with R9 390.

Anyhow, if you have any of these tests which overclock both cards please link them to me, most tests I have seen only overclock the R9 390.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Of course agreed, if he will stick with 1080p and go for a overclock the 970 is good. But, if he doesn't want to overclock nor wants to stick with 1080p he can go with R9 390.

Anyhow, if you have any of these tests which overclock both cards please link them to me, most tests I have seen only overclock the R9 390.

This ONLY shows the 970 being overclocked, this says more about the performance gains with overclocking a 970 than the 970 verses 390 debate.