Can my parrents deny me accses to my own savings acount when i want to purchase something that will help me with the education & career that i want?

carguy86
1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

My father is a normal parrents, my mother isnt.

(Ps: i live in Norway and my parrents opened the bank acount)

I don't have extended knowledge about the laws regarding the rights of minors in Norway, but I would assume that you're at their mercy.

If they opened the bank account, without your involvement, then control of the bank account is legally theirs. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's completely irrelevant what you think in this scenario, it's not your money yet.

Your mother has a good point and you'll probably not use the 3D printer as extensively as you think you will. There will be far better things to spend this money on in the future for you. Personally I think it's really idiotic that someone wold spend their savings from their parents on something like a gaming computer because it'll be out of date soon and you've just wasted your money.

It's also probably not going to help your "career" in the way you'd think it would, it might give you CAD skills but you don't really need a 3D printer to be able to use CAD programs.

I know it's difficult to resist going off in a strop and complaining on a technology forum when your parents have said no to you but you just need to be able to take no as an answer. Perhaps they want you to spend this money on something more important.

1 hour ago, Strando123 said:

My father is a normal parrents, my mother isnt.

(Ps: i live in Norway and my parrents opened the bank acount)

Hate to tell you this but all mothers (with the exceptional very few) are this way.

*edit

My suggestion is to educate her properly on what you want. She may still not agree but that is her prerogative as the parent. You will understand when you are a parent yourself in the future.

I would also suggest as someone else did is wait till either your 18 and use the money on this or get an apprenticeship when your old enough. Since you are to young to apprentice then I would say getting the 3d printer would be a waste as I would think that making the designs at your age with your printer would still fall under the under the age restriction to do this under your law.

So either way your mother may have a valid point albeit for the wrong reason. I don't know how old you are but I think you would be better off waiting a bit longer, you could get your parents in trouble just by producing the items in their house as well.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, Strando123 said:

So, parrents can just decide to be EXTREMELY DOUCHY and just flat out WITHOUT EVEN LISTENING TO ME just deny me accses to a major part of my education and dream job?

(Well, in this case, my dad is supportive because he has talked with the gunsmiths that i know and he has actually tried to put himself in my situation, my mother wont even listen to us and just keeps telling me that, a 3d printer is just a "childish toy" and that they will "dissapear" in a few years)

3D Printers are not dissapearing in a few years... I don't know what she is thinking

Breaking things 1 day at a time

19 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Hate to tell you this but all mothers (with the exceptional very few) are this way.

*edit

My suggestion is to educate her properly on what you want. She may still not agree but that is her prerogative as the parent. You will understand when you are a parent yourself in the future.

I would also suggest as someone else did is wait till either your 18 and use the money on this or get an apprenticeship when your old enough. Since you are to young to apprentice then I would say getting the 3d printer would be a waste as I would think that making the designs at your age with your printer would still fall under the under the age restriction to do this under your law.

So either way your mother may have a valid point albeit for the wrong reason. I don't know how old you are but I think you would be better off waiting a bit longer, you could get your parents in trouble just by producing the items in their house as well.

I have read about 3d printing prototype gun parts, it is legal because the parts are seen as non functional.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I have read about 3d printing prototype gun parts, it is legal because the parts are seen as non functional.

That's cool then. I wasn't for sure, I have no legal knowledge of your countries laws. ;)

Either way though, until the laws see you as an adult your parents have a say in your account since their names are on it. (The US banks are the same way)

Your mother has a parental right to decide what she thinks is best for you. Your father should (and probably knows this) that mom is always right even though she may be wrong. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, Mug said:

It's completely irrelevant what you think in this scenario, it's not your money yet.

Your mother has a good point and you'll probably not use the 3D printer as extensively as you think you will. There will be far better things to spend this money on in the future for you. Personally I think it's really idiotic that someone wold spend their savings from their parents on something like a gaming computer because it'll be out of date soon and you've just wasted your money.

It's also probably not going to help your "career" in the way you'd think it would, it might give you CAD skills but you don't really need a 3D printer to be able to use CAD programs.

I know it's difficult to resist going off in a strop and complaining on a technology forum when your parents have said no to you but you just need to be able to take no as an answer. Perhaps they want you to spend this money on something more important.

I agree with this, and I would also like to add the following:

You are still underage, and printing firearms at your age is not exactly ideal. Say what you want, but that is why you are wanting the printer, is it not? I mean, just printing off random parts with no intention to put them together just sounds pointless to me. Not to mention this information posted by Maybach:

2 hours ago, Maybach123 said:

i just did a bit of digging and ya i guess it is illegal even under an apprenticeship

"Manufacturers of firearms or firearm parts for sale must be licensed by the competent ministry; this also generally applies to ammunition manufacturers.[71] Those who make firearms or firearm parts for their own use, or their own ammunition, must be at least eighteen years of age and have permission from the police commissioner of the district where they reside.  The licensing provisions in the Act are also applicable to weapons manufactured in this manner." (https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/norway.php#t25)

although i am surprised there is nothing in there about teaching or apprenticeships 

means that manufacturing your own firearms under the age of 18, is illegal. No matter how you slice it, this is a no-win situation. You have no control over money in an account owned by your parents. You also cannot pursue your dream job at your age, because the laws in the country you reside in dictates otherwise. Owning this printer will not change that fact either, and might even land you in trouble. Instead, focus on other aspects that you can control. Research firearms from previous generations, learn their pitfalls, study up on what needs improvement with current firearms, etc. Then, since you have the other tools required for this part, create wooden models and practice getting the weight right. Plenty of stuff you can do without a 3D printer.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, Strando123 said:

Problem is that, its illegal for me to work with firearms because im under 18.

I would still recommend finding an apprenticeship, even if you can't work with firearms, they still might need an extra hand. You know, "Hey, can you get this and that tools from the box" or "Hey, go to storage and count how many of this we have."

Just because you can't work with firearms doesn't mean that you can't work at the gunsmith. And because you're already there, when you do turn 18 everything will be much easier. You're already a familiar face, you already know the terms, and so on.

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

You're parents opened the account. Their signature is required to move money out if said account. You're at their mercy. My son is 14 until he hits 18 I am responsible for him. If he gets in trouble with the law I can be held accountable for his fines. If he destroys something. I am the one that will be paying for it. I am his parent. He is my responsibility. He knows this and respects me enough to not do these things.

Your parents have the right to keep you from doing what "you want" because they raised you, fed you, clothed you, housed you, and, hopefully, loved you from a baby until now. Show them some respect and accept their decision. When you support yourself and are of age, then you can do what you feel is right for your life.

You have been shown that you can't legally do what you want as a career right now anyway. Do just keep saving until you can.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

I have negoteated with my mother, she will let me to buy the 3d printer IF i can save up enough money to pay 75% of the price and then she wil give me the rest of the money. (In the middle of a discussion, i told her to call my father and listen to him and what he has to say, she understood my point after my father did some serious explaining)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

5 hours ago, Mathematical said:

No offense, but the way you type make you sound childish, especially with your choice of words. Maybe act more mature and they will hear you out and believe it is something real when they see you put forth effort in getting a job to get the ball rolling on things.

I was going to say, maybe you should spend more time in school learning the essentials, such as spelling and grammar, before pursuing a career in firearms. I agree with what ^^^ said, I would have a really hard time letting a child spend that kind of money when they obviously aren't mature enough to manage it properly.

Gunsmithing requires TONS of specialized tooling and equipment. Just having a 3D printer won't get you there, not by a long shot. Have you taken any courses or had any experience in CAD programs? You need to know how to draw and design in CAD before you can even consider prototyping with a 3D printer. Without CAD, or other similar drafting software experience a 3D printer becomes a toy, with no practical use for anyone.

Maybe your mother is actually smarter than you realize and is trying to help you not waste a ton of money on something you cannot fully utilize. If you want to convince her otherwise, take design and drafting classes and become proficient in the computer side of things, and then present the matter to your mother in a mature and intelligent manner, with proof of your ability to use it as planned. After that I would be willing to bet she would see the investment potential and allow you to stay the course you want to walk. Gunsmithing is not something you just jump into and do from one day to the next. It takes YEARS of training/education to even be allowed to step foot into a reputable organization.

i7 6700k||Asus Z170-A||Powercolor R9 270X PCS+ 2GB||Bitfenix Prodigy M||16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4||Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD||Corsair CX850M power supply||Silverstone Tundra Series TD02-E AIO CPU cooling

Doesn't your school have a 3D Printer?

you shouldnt be touching that account unless you absolulely, and i mean ABSOLUTELY need it, and its crucial.

because before you know it, your account will be drained and the money will be gone because you were spender happy on things you thought you needed at the time, but didn't benefit from using. 

if there are "free", legal ways to get around with meeting even a partial of your goal. without diving into your account, i suggest starting with that.

hell, even do an internship if you can, it usually doesnt cost you a thing and you earn extra experience.

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

11 hours ago, Strando123 said:

I want to be a gunsmith, i have had that dream since i was a little child, i know a few local gunsmiths and their work is so highly dependant upon a 3d printer (for prototyping) that they had to invest in a 3d printer to keep up with their competitiors and to stay afloat since comercial 3d printing services are costly for a small busineses.

Yes they can but make sure to tell them they aren't "Gaining any friends" by doing this.

(Basically telling them that they're doing jerk move)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Charger said:

what is the mill?

ENGINE_LATHE.16684457.thumb.jpg.8e5276aa

Its actually called a lathe. (In norwegian its called a mill)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

7 hours ago, Arty said:

Doesn't your school have a 3D Printer?

Nope, the highschool thats close to my school has one but they dont have the education "lines" that i want to have.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

16 hours ago, Strando123 said:

So, parrents can just decide to be EXTREMELY DOUCHY and just flat out WITHOUT EVEN LISTENING TO ME just deny me accses to a major part of my education and dream job?

(Well, in this case, my dad is supportive because he has talked with the gunsmiths that i know and he has actually tried to put himself in my situation, my mother wont even listen to us and just keeps telling me that, a 3d printer is just a "childish toy" and that they will "dissapear" in a few years)

Well, they can deny access but refusing to listen to you is wrong. Find some time to talk to them and tell them to hear you out before you say anything. This way, they will know not to jump to any conclusions. Your parents should be supportive of whatever you want to do, as long as you don't do the wrong thing.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

8 minutes ago, Goat said:

Well, they can deny access but refusing to listen to you is wrong. Find some time to talk to them and tell them to hear you out before you say anything. This way, they will know not to jump to any conclusions. Your parents should be supportive of whatever you want to do, as long as you don't do the wrong thing.

My mother is anti-guns, that is why she refuses to do anything to help me get an education as a gunsmith.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

My mother is anti-guns, that is why she refused to do anything to help me get an education as a gunsmith.

Well if being a gunsmith is your dream then go for it. You mum is anti-guns, which I can understand, but it is not right for her to force that belief on you. Tell her its doing more bad on you than good. All because you are going to make guns does not mean you will actually kill someone with it.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

1 minute ago, Goat said:

Well if being a gunsmith is your dream then go for it. You mum is anti-guns, which I can understand, but it is not right for her to force that belief on you. Tell her its doing more bad on you than good. All because you are going to make guns does not mean you will actually kill someone with it.

She litteraly belives that if i can make guns, im basicaly a terrorist in her eyes.(she hated my grandfather because he was a gunsmith and because he used to show me his work and how he worked, on my 15th birthday he even helped me build my own airrifle)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

32 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

She litteraly belives that if i can make guns, im basicaly a terrorist in her eyes.(she hated my grandfather because he was a gunsmith and because he used to show me his work and how he worked, on my 15th birthday he even helped me build my own airrifle)

That's the point that you need to clarify with her. A gunsmith makes guns and fixes them. A terrorist attacks innocent people to spread terror and to achieve a political or religious aim. If you don't attack innocent lives to spread terror and/or to gain something, you are not a terrorist even though you are a gunsmith. Strong beliefs can easily cloud judgement.

19 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

3D Printers are not dissapearing in a few years... I don't know what she is thinking

She's thinking she's correct, based on her knowledge.  The issue is she isn't aware of how ignorant she is about the topic at hand.  My best friend's mother, who won't use what she thinks is a computer, says that computers are a fad that will go away in a few years.  She's been saying this since 1995.  Oh, and she bugs her daughter for the latest smart phone whenever the latest one comes out.

Hopefully the OP's mother will reevaluate her position and learn why she is wrong when time proves her incorrect.

Your mother sounds even more insane than mine. And that's saying something. She threw my monitor down the stairs.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

3 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Your mother sounds even more insane than mine. And that's saying something. She threw my monitor down the stairs.

she forced me to live with her when she had an alcoholic and violent boyfriend that was beating her, i was 6 years old and going to 1st grade.... (im scarred for life and wil probably never dring a single drop of alcohol)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server: