Twitter loses its free speech

destroyer8769

There is no such thing as free speech: too many people are butthurt over things or it's against the law because of one thing or another.

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

There is no such thing as free speech: too many people are butthurt over things or it's against the law because of one thing or another.

This is sadly true. 

*sigh*

I heard Milo got his verified status revoked. It's obvious the guy with his Twitter handle is actually him. He still doesn't have it back. Some say Twitter employees can't kick him out, so they did what they could.

Everybody's salty!

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Just now, Spongy141 said:

Does the US government control twitter? No, so why does it have to follow its laws on free speech, it has every right to control what is said on it.

Still, its a saddening thought to have.

you know, that the internet is becoming a more restrictive and PC(politically correct) place to be.

1 minute ago, Spongy141 said:

Does the US government control twitter? No, so why does it have to follow its laws on free speech, it has every right to control what is said on it.

Just because you don`t have to, doesn't mean you shouldn't

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

Just now, Stadin6 said:

Just because you don`t have to, doesn't mean you shouldn't

From what I understand it is to stop ISIS from using twitter to recruit people, it's not like they are going to stop you from saying you hate Donald Trump.

People clearly don't understand what free speech is.... Twitter, a private platform has every time ght to restrict what you are allowed to say ON THEIR platform. So I don't see an issue with this. Once the government does this then there is an issue

1 minute ago, minimoose said:

People clearly don't understand what free speech is.... Twitter, a private platform has every time ght to restrict what you are allowed to say ON THEIR platform. So I don't see an issue with this. Once the government does this then there is an issue

Yes, but once twitter does this, it'll bring on an onslaught of rule tightening on the internet.

the internet should be a free place

1 minute ago, destroyer8769 said:

Yes, but once twitter does this, it'll bring on an onslaught of rule tightening on the internet.

the internet should be a free place

A free place based on what exactly? Does your tax money fund any of these private entities?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

A free place based on what exactly? Does your tax money fund any of these private entities?

Free as in free speech, not free moeny

Just now, destroyer8769 said:

Free as in free speech, not free moeny

How does Twitter censoring anyone or anything they don't like equate to taking away free speech?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

How does Twitter censoring anyone or anything they don't like equate to taking away free speech?

censoring is the opposite of free speech

censoring is the opposite of free speech

What you are talking about is essentially coming into MY house, saying whatever you want, and getting mad that I kicked you out for it. Twitter is someone else's house. They are not obliged to you in any way, shape or form. You seriously need to look up what freedom of speech actually means.

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

What you are talking about is essentially coming into MY house, saying whatever you want, and getting mad that I kicked you out for it. Twitter is someone else's house. They are not obliged to you in any way, shape or form. You seriously need to look up what freedom of speech actually means.

"You seriously need to look up what freedom of speech actually means."

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Twitter is a public domain, my point stands.

Now can we stop arguing and discuss the news.

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

False. Twitter is not a public domain. It is a private entity. It is not govt run and it is not run by your tax money. They are obliged to exactly no one except making money for investors. No one's freedom of speech is being violated if Twitter decides to censor or ban someone because they don't like what they have to say. You also failed to explain how that would even constitute Twitter limiting or taking away your inherent right to voice your opinion. Can Twitter arrest or fine you? No? Then your freedom of speech is not being violated.

You've successfully completed the 1st step of looking up what it actually means. Now take your time to actually understand what it means, because nothing you are saying constitutes Twitter taking away your freedom of speech.

2 minutes ago, destroyer8769 said:

So you'd rather there be no rules at all? Believe it or not, not all opinions are worth being heard and worth allowing. Harassment is a real thing that causes real problems. There is a discussion to be had on where to draw the line in terms of allowing free expression of opinions and trying to stop the type of "free speech" that causes people to go into spirals of depression and kill themselves.

All forms of censorship should be illegal everywhere. Content Age Ratings are fine.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

3 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

All forms of censorship should be illegal everywhere. Content Age Ratings are fine.

Yea, man. I should be able to come into your house and say whatever I want and it should be illegal for you to kick me out if you dont like it 

1 hour ago, zacRupnow said:

Because everyone LOVES -16 year olds in any only (shooter) game where they have free speech.

Let's take -12 year olds to R-rated movies and complain to everyone that my child is screwed up by it, and it's not my fault.

I should be able to download or view snuff movies whenever I please, preferably in public places so every one can see, because no one is there to stop me from viewing it.

Screw censorship, right?

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

On 2/12/2016 at 2:38 AM, ivan134 said:

Yea, man. I should be able to come into your house and say whatever I want and it should be illegal for you to kick me out if you dont like it 

Intrusion and censorship are not the same. Not even close.

On 2/12/2016 at 3:48 AM, Osiris199 said:

Because everyone LOVES -16 year olds in any only (shooter) game where they have free speech.

Let's take -12 year olds to R-rated movies and complain to everyone that my child is screwed up by it, and it's not my fault.

I should be able to download or view snuff movies whenever I please, preferably in public places so every one can see, because no one is there to stop me from viewing it.

Screw censorship, right?

Muting a player you find annoying is not censorship.

Not taking your kids to R rated movies is not censorship.

Not watching movies in public is not censorship.

These are examples of you choosing what information you want to see, hear, or know.

Censorship is denying everyone from seeing, hearing, or knowing information whether they want it or not.

Examples:

North Korean citizens not allowed to leave the country.

People in Russia blocked from certain websites by the government.

People in Syria are beheaded for not believing in or being skeptical about Muhammad.

Here in the USA when the Patriot Act was passed all the public could know was that it let the government listen in unwarranted on phone calls between convicts and their lawyers (enter Edward Snowden, guess what? That act enables the government to collect almost all forms of communication unwarranted from all US citizens).

That is what censorship is. Ok so those are more extreme examples but something as small as removing words from a book and not allowing the original to be read is censorship too. But it's small stuff like that that paves the way for the extreme, first it's a book, then it's the news, etc.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

On 2/12/2016 at 1:59 AM, Spongy141 said:

It doesn't has to. It just makes business sense: they've lost half their value as a company from December vs Today if you look at their stock.

On 2/12/2016 at 3:48 AM, Osiris199 said:

Screw censorship, right?

I get your example, but it's borderline a straw man here vs what is actually happening on Twitter:

1) Anita Sarkeesian herself is part of this new "Trust and Security" council. She's well known to be completely anti free speech going as far as demanding the UN censors the entire internet because people are mean to feminists (And she ways this without irony) She also disables all comments on her videos, calls virtually any criticism to her ideas and videos "harassment" and calls someone who snaps a picture of her on a public place a stalker (Ben did not dox her, did not harass her, did not followed her SHE showed up after he was already there, etc.)

2) Twitter has already begun "soft banning" people meaning that they'll remove their verified status without justification vs their own rules (Milo) they also just stop showing someone's tweets because they happen to have the wrong political views (Mercedes Carrera) and finally outright delete accounts just for being a fairly popular Donald Trump supporter 

3) There's this little number:

Straight from their C.E.O. himself: someone who thinks freedom of expression "starts with safety" and appoints people known to shut down any kind of criticism to their ideas as "not safe". That's not freedom of expression: you can't put restrains on speech, only on very extreme cases like people actually calling to commit crimes directly. In which case for example, Twitter has no problem to allow SJW extreme banter like #Killallwhitemen 

4) People have already completely lost their accounts for being say, popular supporters of Donald Trump (like  @RWSurferGirl ):

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/02/08/twitters-attempt-to-silence-generation-trump/

So you really think this is about 12 year olds being angry, misanthropic sociopaths? No that's what they want to pretend it's about. But pretty much like Gamergate the fact that there's actual harassment of SJWs going on is almost entirely a product of their imagination because they can't handle any criticism and challenge to their (often fairly unfounded and illogical) ideas.

On 2/12/2016 at 2:31 AM, ivan134 said:

False. Twitter is not a public domain. It is a private entity.

Nope, is publicly traded henceforth they are a public company:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=TWTR

That doesn't means that they can be made to enforce actual freedom of speech but it does means investors can (and if you look at their free falling stock do) say what goes on and not and vote with their wallet or if it's the board of directors themselves actually vote.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Twitter has really shown its "tumblr" idiocy lately. From removing Milo's verification for the sole purpose of punishing him, to using Feminist Frequency as part of their censorship team. It's insane.

What makes this worse are how people, even in here, are so happy to support this censorship. What are you thinking? Free speech is the right to criticize those in power, and to give your two cents about "politics". Political correctness is the exact opposite of free speech, as it taboos things, and tries to get you to self censor. If you don't they will do it for you after all, and bring eternal hell fire on your ass.

We have seen these sjw, or social marxists infest several sites for a while now. From gamer sites, that suddenly went blitz krieg on their own readers, to American universities growing into infantile care bear hug boxes, where ideas and different points of view that differs from the PC marxist approved opinions are unwelcome to the point of harassment and false reporting to the police.

Now a public platform like Twitter is now going Stasi on the people trying to criticize this insanity. Seriously what is going on in the US? And why are people even defending this?

I'm from Denmark, one of the only countries in the world who have actually had to defend free speech in the last decade, with embassy burnings and terror attack on a free speech talk not 5 minutes away from where I live last year.

It sickens me that are supporting this regression in society. Being offended doesn't give anyone special rights. It just means they are weak and bigoted to other peoples opinions and views. Grow up and stop acting like small children.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Notional said:

Twitter has really shown its "tumblr" idiocy lately. From removing Milo's verification for the sole purpose of punishing him, to using Feminist Frequency as part of their censorship team. It's insane.

What makes this worse are how people, even in here, are so happy to support this censorship. What are you thinking? Free speech is the right to criticize those in power, and to give your two cents about "politics". Political correctness is the exact opposite of free speech, as it taboos things, and tries to get you to self censor. If you don't they will do it for you after all, and bring eternal hell fire on your ass.

We have seen these sjw, or social marxists infest several sites for a while now. From gamer sites, that suddenly went blitz krieg on their own readers, to American universities growing into infantile care bear hug boxes, where ideas and different points of view that differs from the PC marxist approved opinions are unwelcome to the point of harassment and false reporting to the police.

Now a public platform like Twitter is now going Stasi on the people trying to criticize this insanity. Seriously what is going on in the US? And why are people even defending this?

I'm from Denmark, one of the only countries in the world who have actually had to defend free speech in the last decade, with embassy burnings and terror attack on a free speech talk not 5 minutes away from where I live last year.

It sickens me that are supporting this regression in society. Being offended doesn't give anyone special rights. It just means they are weak and bigoted to other peoples opinions and views. Grow up and stop acting like small children.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

-------

Current Rig

-------