Australia's FTTN NBN fails to deliver advertised net speeds

Fir35t0rm

Well I thought that this nightmare could not get any worse but I was wrong....very wrong. Here's a snippet from the news story:

The original version of the NBN as envisioned by the previous Labor Government called for most Australian premises to be covered by a full Fibre to the Premises rollout, with the remainder to be covered by satellite and fixed wireless technology.

The Coalition’s controversial Multi-Technology Mix instituted by Malcolm Turnbull as Communications Minister has seen the company switch to a technically inferior model re-using and upgrading the legacy copper (Fibre to the Node) and HFC cable networks owned by Telstra and Optus.

The FTTN technology is theoretically capable of providing speeds approaching 100Mbps, which is significantly higher than the up to 24Mbps speeds currently available under the ADSL2+ broadband standard, which most Australians currently use to access broadband

However, the Labor Party has received 60 complaints from early adopters of the Governments's preferred Fibre to the Node NBN rollout model that they were receiving a poor service and they would prefer to have their original broadband back, one example below:

“Ping times go from 13ms to around 140ms, download speed decreases dramatically from the average 85Mbps to as low as 1mbps, while upload speeds halve from around 30mbps to 15Mbps,” he said. “It almost makes me pine for the ADSL2+ connection with ping times averaging 20ms and a strong, constant, reliable 12mbps down speed.”

As an Australian, I'm am quite furious to see not only the Fibre to the Node still uses the ageing and fragile copper wire but the fact that people are complaining that their download speeds can degrade to much worse than if they were still using ADSL2 during peak traffic while being a complete blow-out of an 'infrastructure upgrade'.  Looks like at this rate our broadband network is going to be left behind in measures unseen before and giving the amount that has been blown out, it would be at least years before we would have some kind of chance to meet standards with the rest of the world.

Leave a comment below!

Source: https://delimiter.com.au/2016/02/09/nbn-gridlock-fttn-taken-down/

1. Wow, you guys are still using ADSL. F to pay respects. :(
  2. Fiber managing to be worse than ADSL. Well I had heard some "whining," so I thought, about the NBN plans being gutted, but this is just ridiculous.

the biggest gripe I have about the current NBN plan is the mass roll out of fixed wireless

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I'm on the NBN & have been since Nov 2014 with iiNet.
I'm on their 100/40 plan with 250gb for $89.95 per month.

I think the roll out has change since it has first done, with ongoing connections not as good.

But even though Australia is still well behind most of the world in speeds vs cost.

This is my speed just taken at 7.35pm  So with iiNet I am getting what I pay for.
And also FTTH of course. One of the early connections

iiNet_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sakkura said:
  1. Wow, you guys are still using ADSL. F to pay respects. :(
  2. Fiber managing to be worse than ADSL. Well I had heard some "whining," so I thought, about the NBN plans being gutted, but this is just ridiculous.

yup rip

5052598662.png

Still really gutted that the Libs decided to go for too many options and relying on the copper network. I understand the need to do FTTB in apartments and stuff but its no use doing FTTN everywhere. Thankfully I am in one of two suburbs in the city I live in that will be receiving FTTP. Gets installed on 22nd Feb and will be getting 100/40 with an "unlimited" data plan (~1TB due to fair use policy). Can't wait till someone cleans the policy change made under the Libs. My previous town before the previous election was ready to have fiber installed the following month but the Libs got in and changed the plan to FTTN. Delaying the install in my previous town by 2-3 years and providing a worse solution.

6 minutes ago, Peter Hammond said:

I would probably remove your IP Address from your picture. You never know what people will do on the Internet.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

This is what i have at the moment. It is currently Australia's highest end offering (cable internet) for the mainstream, its kinda pathetic when you compare it to the rest of you guys. What annoys me is that Liberals new plan of FTTN provides a 10th of the speed of full FTTP at a third of the cost. Its a pathetic cost saving measure that will cost us more in the long run. If Linus saw this proposition and he was the leader, he would have this low end video card rant all over again. The cost savings does not justify the performance.

On the bright side, i start uni this year.... Cant wait for the ridiculous Uni internet speeds.

5077013912.png

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

7 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

That's nothing. Over in the States around 2 million people use dial-up modems. Even the astronauts at the ISS have better Internet than that. 

^

OP: The problems they're having are related to CVC costs not FTTN technology. However, I do think FTTN is terrible and shouldn't be used in 2016 anyway. That's what people voted for though.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

36 minutes ago, Peter Hammond said:

Is that like an average price in Australia? It sounds steep for a capped connection. The connection that comes with the rent for my apartment is an uncapped 50/50MBps. It's basically free. But it's behind a NAT so I'm paying 39,90€/month which is like 65AUD or so for a similar connection to yours but again, it's uncapped.

29 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Is that like an average price in Australia? It sounds steep for a capped connection. The connection that comes with the rent for my apartment is an uncapped 50/50MBps. It's basically free. But it's behind a NAT so I'm paying 39,90€/month which is like 65AUD or so for a similar connection to yours but again, it's uncapped.

That's a high tier price yes it's common. But even in the US they have capped internet connections for $70+ USD a month. It's only countries like yours that have seen the way of the future and actually adopted internet as a utility.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Ping times go from 13ms to around 140ms

ping times to where. Latency is always measured to a particular destination. I guess the concern is the variability but some context would be useful.

govt should have just bit the bullet and stopped giving away our money to other countries in need and given us Fibre all the way to our houses the world isnt going to wait for us to catch up.. im still happy with my DSL2+ connection rocking solid 18mbps

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

15 hours ago, Peter Hammond said:

I'm on the NBN & have been since Nov 2014 with iiNet.

I think the roll out has change since it has first done, with ongoing connections not as good.

But even though Australia is still well behind most of the world in speeds vs cost.

This is my speed just taken at 7.35pm  So with iiNet I am getting what I pay for

You are on FTTH (Fibre to the Home), that is how the NBN started to be rolled out under the Labor Government. After the Liberal Party was elected all new development has been FTTN.

FTTH is all fibre, FTTN uses copper cables to go from the node to the home, which is what is causing the issues in the article.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I'm currently on cable, and not even bothering with NBN... I'll rather stick with ADSL if I can't get cable.

35Mbps is good enough for me at the moment...

NBN is a massive waste of time, over promise under deliver.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

16 hours ago, TrigrH said:

yup rip

5052598662.png

Looks about the same as mine. Although you have a better ping rate.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

59 minutes ago, You Scrub....The Floor said:

Come to New Zealand we have a 100mbps. Only $100 . Feels good

Yea, we have 200/200 Fibre for like $129 here in NZ. Though the fibre roll-out has yet to reach my house so I'm stuck with 60/10 VDSL :P

Just now, Djmixerdomo said:

Yea, we have 200/200 Fibre for like $129 here in NZ. Though the fibre roll-out has yet to reach my house so I'm stuck with 60/10 VDSL :P

Same

LOL LIMEWIRE

Here's cable speed in Victoria

image.png

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

The slow speed is due to congestion!, this is not NBNs fault but the ISPs.

There are simply too many people trying to access the internet and the ISP has not purchased enough bandwidth to sustain everyone.

Most of the complaints from the speech given the by labour mp was complaints during PEAK times.

However I am on of the few who has the real NBN haha
5084145881.png

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

On 2/11/2016 at 9:50 PM, TrigrH said:

yup rip

5052598662.png

You thought yours is bad:

4925109609.png.941670e506671cd359ad1d6d2

look at dat ping tho :)

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

1 minute ago, r1Ns3 said:

You thought yours is bad:

4925109609.png.941670e506671cd359ad1d6d2

look at dat ping tho :)

Man that's bad I remember my ADSL was a bit faster when I used to live on the Gold Coast a lot faster here in NZ though 

5084302170.png