Australia's FTTN NBN fails to deliver advertised net speeds

Fir35t0rm
6 hours ago, Qwertious said:

The slow speed is due to congestion!, this is not NBNs fault but the ISPs.

There are simply too many people trying to access the internet and the ISP has not purchased enough bandwidth to sustain everyone.

Most of the complaints from the speech given the by labour mp was complaints during PEAK times.

However I am on of the few who has the real NBN haha
5084145881.png

Same speeds as I get down here in Mandurah.  My speeds don't change that much all through out the day.
Worst I have tested mine was 76Mb/s down & 28Mb/s up on a 13ms ping during peak

3 hours ago, Peter Hammond said:

Same speeds as I get down here in Mandurah.  My speeds don't change that much all through out the day.
Worst I have tested mine was 76Mb/s down & 28Mb/s up on a 13ms ping during peak

Same here but that was when we had the massive shit storm of netflix being released

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

On 2/11/2016 at 9:37 PM, Sakkura said:
  1. Wow, you guys are still using ADSL. F to pay respects. :(
  2. Fiber managing to be worse than ADSL. Well I had heard some "whining," so I thought, about the NBN plans being gutted, but this is just ridiculous.

they are referring to fiber to the node, not fiber to the building or premise. FTTN turns the last mile of copper into the last <200m of copper. But then they use VDSL, and the Copper is ~50 years old. 

The big issue is contention issues with the ISP's - I pay for 100/40 (FTTP/FTTH) on Optus and during peak I'll routinely see 10/30 or worse. Switching to SkyMesh for 100/100 - apparently one of the best ISP's for consumer that you can find.

On 2/11/2016 at 0:37 AM, Sakkura said:
  1. Wow, you guys are still using ADSL. F to pay respects. :(
  2. Fiber managing to be worse than ADSL. Well I had heard some "whining," so I thought, about the NBN plans being gutted, but this is just ridiculous.

it's not fiber, it's fiber to the node, which means that it's still copper to your door. So I'm assuming they role fiber to every exchange, and then use VDSL over copper? 

Thanks Mr Broadband :dry: Apparently I will be getting FTTN where I live activated in about a week and a bit. I think I am going to wait until I see other people's results before doing anything as I don't have that terrible of internet right now.

5087240494.png

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

it's not fiber, it's fiber to the node, which means that it's still copper to your door. So I'm assuming they role fiber to every exchange, and then use VDSL over copper? 

And once the resistance becomes too high to carry a VDSL signal(typically 1KM) it switches to ADSL2+ which in NZ at least, still offers great speeds. 

1: The proposed Labour FTTH would never have happened. The Australian government simply couldn't afford it, Labour promised something they literally could not provide.

2: The people above are complaining with absolutely no credibility. They could have a failing router for all we know. If its not their own hardware, that sounds like a technical fault. Something which requires repair and happens in the real world. It is not a clear example of the performance of the technology. They are just upset they didn't get FTTH. 

3: Running FTTN is something that has to be completed anyway, it is not a backwards step. Why not rush FTTN across the country, to quickly provide everyone with a decent upgrade in internet speeds, and then follow through with FTTH? 

As an Australian, I am sick to death of entitled city morons constantly complaining about the internet in this country and the FTTN roll-out. Can't you all understand these things aren't free, someone has to pay for the infrastructure. And regarding infrastructure, we have one of the largest countries in the world with a population of only 20 million. Of course our telecommunications networks are going to be a bit behind when compared to more densely populated first world countries.