Microsoft will start providing details for Windows Update

GoodBytes

One of the biggest complaint of Windows 10, is that updates don't contains any logs or information of any sorts to know what they do.

This has potentially made people and businesses not interested in upgraded to Microsoft latest OS.

win10.png

(image source: http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-default-wallpaper-and-other-wallpapers-4k/)

Microsoft announces today that they will reveal what changes and fixes Windows Update brings on the table.

This information is available on a web page that the company setup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

It doesn't include past Windows updates, but from now on, starting with the just released Windows Updates, the information is now there.

Each update also contains the KB code, and its release date on the page, for easy tracking.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/9/10951228/microsoft-windows-10-update-history-site

That's good, now hope they wont LIE (or not tell stuff) in the update logs :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Good. This is particularly annoying when an update happens to break something important, seemingly for no good reason.

Almost as cool as my temps  

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

About fucking time. It's inexcusable that it wasn't there before.

You mean you don't like mandatory mystery updates on your workstation? :ph34r:

Almost as cool as my temps  

11 minutes ago, Benergy said:

You mean you don't like mandatory mystery updates on your workstation? :ph34r:

When I lock it for 15 minutes then go to join a meeting that I had scheduled and the fucking thing is updating at 12%? No I don't.

10 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

When I lock it for 15 minutes then go to join a meeting and the fucking thing is updating at 12%? No I don't.

You should set the updates to 'Notify to schedule restart' if you haven't already

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

1 minute ago, Kherm said:

You should set the updates to 'Notify to schedule restart' if you haven't already

I did. It didn't give a fuck.

Good, now I can see when Intel tries to push through their microcode update to disable overclocking on non k cpus to bypass Motherboard makers not cooperating with them. 

About time they resumed doing that.

47 minutes ago, mattebad said:

Good, now I can see when Intel tries to push through their microcode update to disable overclocking on non k cpus to bypass Motherboard makers not cooperating with them. 

That can only be done by flashing a new BIOS on the motherboard.

This is gonna make some people paranoid as they are gonna scroll like maniacs through info just so they can complain MS is spying on them.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

31 minutes ago, Daring said:

About time they resumed doing that.

Nope, I'm pretty sure in the past they've pushed it through as a Windows Security update or something similar. First they disable it in the BIOS then they disable it on the chip itself by way of microcode through Windows Update. They did the same thing with Haswell

49 minutes ago, Daring said:

You can update the CPU microcode through regular Windows updates. Intel has done it in the past.

Not sure if you can disable overclocking through just the microcode though, but it is possible to change BIOS settings through updates.

16 minutes ago, mattebad said:

Nope, I'm pretty sure in the past they've pushed it through as a Windows Security update or something similar. First they disable it in the BIOS then they disable it on the chip itself by way of microcode through Windows Update. They did the same thing with Haswell

Just now, LAwLz said:

You can update the CPU microcode through regular Windows updates. Intel has done it in the past.

Ah, thanks for letting me know.

3 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Summoning @Trik'Stari with the traditional ritualistic tin-foil hat!

Maybe the reason the update details weren't there before, (and they won't show old ones) is that they now have the really malicious update already in place.

tinfoil hattery intensifies

Probably. Or maybe they've already suckered so many of you into using Windows 10, that they now feel comfortable saying "remember all those "crazy people" who told you that Windows 10 was malware? WELL THEY WERE RIGHT!, but there's nothing you can do about it now. Suckers".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

tinfoil hattery intensifies

Probably. Or maybe they've already suckered so many of you into using Windows 10, that they now feel comfortable saying "remember all those "crazy people" who told you that Windows 10 was malware? WELL THEY WERE RIGHT!, but there's nothing you can do about it. Suckers".

I like Windows 10 :P

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I like Windows 10 :P

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Glad to see this coming. Always bothered me that it wasn't there in the first place, but at least now it will be.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

About fecking time.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II