The Division developer concedes PC version was downgraded to stay “in check” with consoles [Update - Ubisoft in Damage Control]

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
17 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

You're in the extreme minority. Most PC gamers are playing CSGO, LoL and Dota on Intel HD graphics.

I wouldn't say "extreme minority". Most of those gamers (playing CSGO, LoL and Dota on Intel graphics) are not the gamer who will be playing the Division (or any other modern triple A titles), so that's kind of irrelevant to this topic.

Those who play modern triple A titles tend to have moderate to high-end gaming PC's (because that is what is required to run them) and thus expect a game like this to take full advantage of the more powerful hardware.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I'd love to see the console defenders reaction to this.

You are what's holding the industry back, you are harming the video game industry. Please sell your shitbox and get a real gaming platform.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

IMO I think it's just lazy devs and the industry overall. I mean PS Vita wiped the floor with the 3DS in terms of hardware specs, yet it died into oblivion b/c devs couldn't be bothered to take advantage of more powerful hardware. 

I think it makes sense that PC undergoes that treatment as well, if not for the serious hardware fragmentation of the PC market. A standardized experience is better for shareholders as it's less taxing to maintain in its product life cycle, at the expense of customer satisfaction.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

49 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You are what's holding the industry back, you are harming the video game industry. Please sell your shitbox and get a real gaming platform.

I don't think it's their fault that devs are pulling dick moves like this...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

k. - His opinion: (My friend on Xbone)

Nothing wrong with that, he understands where the money is and is keeping people happy, sod tje so called pc master race, they are a minoroty who just whine, look i spent all this money an a graphics caed i dont really need

Basically, tl;dr from the whole exchange.

- It's not my problem Im enjoying my console games you probably have problems because things are not in 4k 120fps lol

He doesn't get it's his fault for supporting that shitty platform. Doesn't want to take the responsibility, because he doesn't care. He just plays a shit game on a shitty console, because he's too lazy to build a decent PC and actually save money on gaming through GOG/Steam.

He just puts a stupid CD in and "enjoys" the game regardless of what resolution, quality or FPS it is.

It's easier to just burn up money on another console game, than save money. It's mindblowing.

OH. And the argument that always pops up:
- But I can't play halo on pc and gears of wars.

Can't win this mate, they just don't care as much about gaming as we do. I care in general what happens to the industry, but the money is the deciding factor.

If people would massively boycott Ubisoft by not buying their games on PC absolutely this quarter, or if we'd get 4Chan to buy like 100.000 pre orders and then get everyone to cancel them last minute giving company some losses, maybe then they'd care.

But we, the gamers that actually give a shit and spent serious cash on their PCs to run state of the art level gaming, getting screwed by the Business itself.

It's not like I'd buy any Ubisoft game anyway, but hey. Gotta have some respect for the general community.

I literally said in another topic that companies always do this. Say one thing and do the complete opposite. It's as if someone says to the ceo "hey we need to change our business and change how we treat our customers. And the ceo turns round and says " brilliant idea we'll fuck them more ".

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I wouldn't say "extreme minority". Most of those gamers (playing CSGO, LoL and Dota on Intel graphics) are not the gamer who will be playing the Division (or any other modern triple A titles), so that's kind of irrelevant to this topic.

Those who play modern triple A titles tend to have moderate to high-end gaming PC's (because that is what is required to run them) and thus expect a game like this to take full advantage of the more powerful hardware.  

$500 for a dedicated GPU is extremely in the minority. Most of people that have dedicated GPUs have ones that are around $150 to $350 including older cards from 2013 and before.

45 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

I don't think it's their fault that devs are pulling dick moves like this...

Stop buying the consoles, stop buying the games on the consoles, and their attitudes will change.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

How does this make any sense anyways?

Since when did console people whine when the PC version is superior? Like seriously, I don't remember, nor can I logically think of a scenario where console people will complain their graphics aren't up to par with PC.

In fact, I can think of an extreme example. Remember black ops 3? Campaign was removed on 360/PS3. Did anyone complain? No. According to division developer's logic, PS4/Xbone/PC version shouldn't get campaign either on black ops 3... 

I can't think of any reason why watering down the, what I assume is graphics, on PC would make it more "fair". If anyone can think of any, enlighten me.

What I can think of, is that the developers were simply too lazy to optimize the "ultra" settings, and just straight up removed them and renamed "high" to "ultra" and called it optimization. If that was the case, it wouldn't make sense either, why not just categorize these settings into "Advanced settings" like how GTA V did it?

Another logical conclusion could be that the visuals at E3 was never there to begin with. Like, this is just a cover up and an excuse when PC people notice graphics aren't what E3 promised. They say they tuned down the PC graphics, when in fact that level of graphics was never made. Damn, this is sounding like a conspiracy theory lol.

I really don't know. If what they say is true, I don't get why the division developers will make effort into dumping down the PC version...

2 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Since when did console people whine when the PC version is superior? Like seriously, I don't remember, nor can I logically think of a scenario where console people will complain their graphics aren't up to par with PC.

In fact, I can think of an extreme example. Remember black ops 3? Campaign was removed on 360/PS3. Did anyone complain? No. According to division developer's logic, PS4/Xbone/PC version shouldn't get campaign either on black ops 3... 

I can't think of any reason why watering down the, what I assume is graphics, on PC would make it more "fair". If anyone can think of any, enlighten me.

What I can think of, is that the developers were simply too lazy to optimize the "ultra" settings, and just straight up removed them and renamed "high" to "ultra" and called it optimization. If that was the case, it wouldn't make sense either, why not just categorize these settings into "Advanced settings" like how GTA V did it?

Another logical conclusion could be that the visuals at E3 was never there to begin with. Like, this is just a cover up and an excuse when PC people notice graphics aren't what E3 promised. They say they tuned down the PC graphics, when in fact that level of graphics was never made. Damn, this is sounding like a conspiracy theory lol.

I really don't know. If what they say is true, I don't get why the division developers will make effort into dumping down the PC version...

The only reason is the up front payment from Sony/Microsoft, not the gamers themselves.

Some people might actually start questioning, why are we playing this crap when PC's are so much better in every way?

Remember, MC/Sony don't make money of physical consoles, they make money of the Games sold on the consoles.

8 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

You're making some conclusions, here.

It's not the people who play the consoles... I'm pretty sure it's the people who make them.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Or release the best you can on every platform, and then when they see that the PC version is better than console, they consider migrating to PC and buying a second version of the game for PC.

WTH, UBISOFT!!! I don't think ubisoft understands the PC gaming environment. I did not pay $2000 dollars for a cop-out console experience. I built a PC so I can be stupid and turn the graphics ridiculously high, only to realise that my PC cannot run Crysis 3 at 4K resolution maxed out, and that Far Cry 4's secret nvidia settings look gorgeous and make wonderful wallpapers, and accidently installing too many mods on GTA that corrupt the game file causing me to redownload it. I was actually really looking forward to the division. (btw I realise that division wont really be moddable, at least not very likely... that is if they don't find away to implement anti-cheat, like they forgot to do in the beta)

Corsair Graphite 760T (Black) - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P (rev 1.0) - AMD FX-8320E (OC 3.5Ghz) - Asus STRIX GTX 970 (OC 1200) - Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4GB) - EVGA Supernova G2 750W - Corsair Force LX 256GB SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB - 3x Corsair 140mm AF fans with green painted rings and 2x 120mm SP quiets with rings painted green on a Cooler Master Nepton 240M - 3D printed stealth MOBO shroud with painted green accents - Lots of razer peripherals and random chords.

I said this else where. I'll say it again, the game is 60$ or your regional equivalent on PS4 Xbox One, and PC. It doesn't matter if you paid 300$ for a PST or 3000$ for an overbuilt PC, Ubi doesn't get a cut off either of those so what reason do  they have to invest significantly more into the pc version. 

Do you think it's fair to say that one person should get more for $60 than another? 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

1 hour ago, CakeandRubix said:

WTH, UBISOFT!!! I don't think ubisoft understands the PC gaming environment. I did not pay $2000 dollars for a cop-out console experience. I built a PC so I can be stupid and turn the graphics ridiculously high, only to realise that my PC cannot run Crysis 3 at 4K resolution maxed out, and that Far Cry 4's secret nvidia settings look gorgeous and make wonderful wallpapers, and accidently installing too many mods on GTA that corrupt the game file causing me to redownload it. I was actually really looking forward to the division. (btw I realise that division wont really be moddable, at least not very likely... that is if they don't find away to implement anti-cheat, like they forgot to do in the beta)

They said recently there is no plans to support mods as it's an online game. 

But do you not realize this game is more demanding than crysis  3 is?

1 hour ago, raendeu said:

The only reason is the up front payment from Sony/Microsoft, not the gamers themselves.

Some people might actually start questioning, why are we playing this crap when PC's are so much better in every way?

Remember, MC/Sony don't make money of physical consoles, they make money of the Games sold on the consoles.

This goofy conspiracy has no backing in reality

The reality is pc brings  in less revenue than the consoles do, and is the most expensive to develop for 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Just now, Sharkyx1 said:

This goofy conspiracy has no backing in reality

The reality is pc brings  in less revenue than the consoles do, and is the most expensive to develop for 

> Says this goofy conspiracy has no backing in reality
> gives no source for his claims

57 minutes ago, raendeu said:

actually, the PS4 and XBONE does make some money for Sony/MS. It is the PS3 and Xbox360 that incurred large losses for both.

PS4 and XBONE is made from cheaper, standardized parts, unlike PS3/Xbox360 which was almost exclusively custom silicone through and through.

one custom part is cheaper then two or three individual custom parts

actually, the PS4 and XBONE does make some money for Sony/MS. It is the PS3 and Xbox360 that incurred large losses for both.

PS4 and XBONE is made from cheaper, standardized parts, unlike PS3/Xbox360 which was almost exclusively custom silicone through and through.

one custom part is cheaper then two or three individual custom parts

Sure they do

The cost to build an Xbox One is $90 more than the $381 Sony spends on its PlayStation 4, which costs consumers $399. That leaves Sony with an $18 profit on each unit.

"If your cost is within $10 to $20 of the retail prices, there's very little chance you're making a profit on the console," IHS analyst Andrew Rassweiler said when the firm released its PS4 teardown.

6 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

I said this else where. I'll say it again, the game is 60$ or your regional equivalent on PS4 Xbox One, and PC. It doesn't matter if you paid 300$ for a PST or 3000$ for an overbuilt PC, Ubi doesn't get a cut off either of those so what reason do  they have to invest significantly more into the pc version. 

Do you think it's fair to say that one person should get more for $60 than another? 

ubi would get more from PC, because Sony and MS has a rather strict royalty on games on their platform. I think Sony takes around 7-10 bucks per game to release it on the console. Steam often claim 20-30%. BUT, PC is almost strictly digital sales these days. Whilst consoles are mostly disc based, due to disc versions often containing special goodies that the digital version does not.

So for consoles, the cost of the disc and distribution of the disc must be factored into the cost.

Brick and mortar retail stores make very little on games BTW... not a big margin there, which is why games in brick and mortar stores often take much longer to appear on sale/only appears on sale because the store wants to get rid of them.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-division/the-divisions-pc-version-had-to-be-kept-in-check-with-consoles-or-it-would-be-unfair

It has come to our attention that a comment from one of our team members has been perceived by some members of the community to imply the PC version of The Division was 'held back' and this is simply not true. From the beginning, the PC version of The Division was developed from the ground up and we're confident players will enjoy the game and the features this version has to offer. And the feedback from PC players who participated in the recent closed beta supports this.

So our gaming brothers on consoles holding us back again... damn.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

So we basically are paying the full pric of a downgraded game?

Damn ubisoft, you just keep digging! Fuck this game, I don't want to buy it anymore.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

15 minutes ago, raendeu said:

> Says this goofy conspiracy has no backing in reality
> gives no source for his claims

Sources :

Lower sales numbers on PC

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-pc-accounts-for-nearly-a-quarter-of-ubisofts-first-quarter-sales/

And Ubi reporting PS4 makes up a larger portion of their revenue than PC. Current Gen consoles  make up 38% of revenue,nearly double PCs 23%.and that's with only two feature levels compared to the many many more of PC

The PC accounted for 23 percent of Ubisoft's sales this quarter, an amount only (and only slightly) surpassed by the PlayStation 4, which totaled 27 percent of sales. Xbox One sales made up just 11 percent of Ubisoft's sales for the quarter, as did the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The Wii U came in a distant last with three percent, and "other"—mobile and ancillaries—grabbed the remaining 14 percent.