i7-4930k Overclocking in process !!

So I just got the Rampage IV Extreme and i7-4930k and after one day stress testing with stock settings to validate stability, I guess its time for some overclocking. Especially as the Rampage IV Extreme is designed for that.

Just so you know, I am running a custom watercooling loop that is as good as it can get for a single cpu (EK Supremacy, 360x120x60 rad, 240x120x60 rad, dual d5s).

I am completely new to x79 coming from z77 and beeing used to turn the volts to 1.4V and the multiplier up as long as its stable. But on x79 I want to go really in depth and tune every bit that can give me that 10 MHz extra clock. "enthusiasm", I guess is what its called. :P

So what I got so far:

I did only 30 minute stress tests to validate stability, but found out soon that this is really not a definite indicator.

1.) 100 MHz x 42 @ 1.200V : stable 30 minutes occt, max temps around 65°C (ambient for all testing was 20-24°C, I need to get a battery for my multimeter tomorrow)

//just used as sort of a safe point to go beyond from

2.) 100 MHz x 44 @ 1.250V : bluescreen after about 5 minutes of occt , max temps still below 70°C

3.) 100 MHz x 44 @ 1.300V : stable 30 min occt, temps around 70°C (occt would stop the test because of one core exceeding 85°C, read error, so I turned "temp auto stop" off)

//continued

4.) 100 MHz x 46 @ 1.400V : no crash, but as I was monitoring temps with HWMonitor and it showed over 90°C on all cores while occt showed temps still in the 70s°C, I stoped the test manually

//updated HWMonitor, showed same occt-like readings, did not redo the test, as I was afraid of pushing the volts and temps to far with 1.400V

5.) 100 MHz x 46 @ 1.375V : bluescreen on windows startup

//guess I did not win the top prize of the silicone lottery, no wonder chip

6.) 100 MHz x 46 @ 1.380V : bluescreen when hitting the 90% memory usage of occt

7.) 100 MHz x 45 @ 1.375V : no crash while 30 minutes of occt, but bluescreen after a few hours of web browsing

BTW That testing was done with all the load line calibration left on auto (autofilled value, dependent on Vcore)

//tinkering around with the baseclock...

8.) 150(.33) MHz x 30 @ 1.375V : testing still in progress, load line calibration turns Vcore to 1.432V //scary ,ram runs at 1602 MHz, kit specified for 1600 MHz

f2urpjla.png

test stoped as the maximum temp for CPUTIN of 85°C was exceeded, need to find out what this actually is...

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Where did you get your 4930k from?  :blink:

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Where did you get your 4930k from?  :blink:

4930k? What the cracker...

nosparkle.jpg?w=400&h=272

http://webshop.sdv-computer.net/ :D

amazon prime-like shipping time, ordered 3pm and arrived next day around 12pm, did not pay extra on shipping

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

http://webshop.sdv-computer.net/ :D

amazon prime-like shipping time, ordered 3pm and arrived next day around 12pm, did not pay extra on shipping

Seems legit. :P

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I would love to get some support from guys that know x79 and could help me learn this platform ;)

haha, just saw my typo in the title... should have been *progress

brain fail, I am tired :\

Screen shoots, screen shoots, screen shoots. If you have it screen shoots are avaluble then :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Screen shoots, screen shoots, screen shoots. If you have it screen shoots are avaluble then :D

current test is still running, but as you are asking so hard

f2urpjla.png

well ivy has the same fault in 2011 as with the 1155 CPU die shrink. most use the

direct method to dial the overclock in and then move to the strap method to get the

extra on top.

you are finding the ivy-ness in heat output like the 1155 platform. what kinda

under-volt did you find on the stock multi? what temperature? you'll deffo need extreme

LLC recovery for stability testing and then prolly dial it back to 50-75% for daily.

although i expected a better quality OC from ivy, but i believe it is more of the same

from the smaller platform in the 1155. wasn't it TTL that found 4.6-4.7 after countless

BIOS tweaks and controls on his ES chip?

i'd rego the testing on 100% LLC and verify with OCCT for 30min intervals.

BSOD are 124 and 101 or others?

airdeano

DId you use the usb tool to flash the bios for ivy bridge e ?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Ordered a 4930k and EVGA Dark motherboard. Wish me luck.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

• 3 weeks later...

So I just got the Rampage IV Extreme and i7-4930k and after one day stress testing with stock settings to validate stability, I guess its time for some overclocking. Especially as the Rampage IV Extreme is designed for that.

Just so you know, I am running a custom watercooling loop that is as good as it can get for a single cpu (EK Supremacy, 360x120x60 rad, 240x120x60 rad, dual d5s).

I am completely new to x79 coming from z77 and beeing used to turn the volts to 1.4V and the multiplier up as long as its stable. But on x79 I want to go really in depth and tune every bit that can give me that 10 MHz extra clock. "enthusiasm", I guess is what its called. :P

So what I got so far:

I did only 30 minute stress tests to validate stability, but found out soon that this is really not a definite indicator.

1.) 100 MHz x 42 @ 1.200V : stable 30 minutes occt, max temps around 65°C (ambient for all testing was 20-24°C, I need to get a battery for my multimeter tomorrow)

//just used as sort of a safe point to go beyond from

2.) 100 MHz x 44 @ 1.250V : bluescreen after about 5 minutes of occt , max temps still below 70°C

3.) 100 MHz x 44 @ 1.300V : stable 30 min occt, temps around 70°C (occt would stop the test because of one core exceeding 85°C, read error, so I turned "temp auto stop" off)

//continued

4.) 100 MHz x 46 @ 1.400V : no crash, but as I was monitoring temps with HWMonitor and it showed over 90°C on all cores while occt showed temps still in the 70s°C, I stoped the test manually

//updated HWMonitor, showed same occt-like readings, did not redo the test, as I was afraid of pushing the volts and temps to far with 1.400V

5.) 100 MHz x 46 @ 1.375V : bluescreen on windows startup

//guess I did not win the top prize of the silicone lottery, no wonder chip

6.) 100 MHz x 46 @ 1.380V : bluescreen when hitting the 90% memory usage of occt

7.) 100 MHz x 45 @ 1.375V : no crash while 30 minutes of occt, but bluescreen after a few hours of web browsing

BTW That testing was done with all the load line calibration left on auto (autofilled value, dependent on Vcore)

//tinkering around with the baseclock...

8.) 150(.33) MHz x 30 @ 1.375V : testing still in progress, load line calibration turns Vcore to 1.432V //scary ,ram runs at 1602 MHz, kit specified for 1600 MHz

f2urpjla.png

test stoped as the maximum temp for CPUTIN of 85°C was exceeded, need to find out what this actually is...

I've been running Aida and real temp at 4.6 - 1.44 volts with custom liquid completely stable and hitting Max temps of 72...

So I'm pretty happy so far :D

If your thinking I'm going crazy with the volts I have the Intel extreme tuning plan so I'm not to worried.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I've been running Aida and real temp at 4.6 - 1.44 volts with custom liquid completely stable and hitting Max temps of 72...

So I'm pretty happy so far :D

If your thinking I'm going crazy with the volts I have the Intel extreme tuning plan so I'm not to worried.

intel extreme tuning plan? whats that? how does it work?

intel extreme tuning plan? whats that? how does it work?

I'm now down too 1.39v for 4.6.

And the basically it means that you buy the plan one time ($25 for 4930k) and basically no matter how you kill the chip intel will replace it for you.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I'm now down too 1.39v for 4.6.

And the basically it means that you buy the plan one time ($25 for 4930k) and basically no matter how you kill the chip intel will replace it for you.

:D gonna buy it right now

:D gonna buy it right now

Yeah, it's a really good buy considering its only $25 to protect a CPU that costs almost $700 where I live.

Hey just found your results on Google and thought I'd share mine since I used yours as a good starting point.

I tried:

44x100Mhz@1.300v and had the same results you did, appears to be stable.

44x101Mhz@1.30v appears stable as well.

44x102.3Mhz@1.30v, Blue screens.

44x102.3Mhz@1.305v, Windows Locks up, but doesn't blue screen.

44x102.3Mhz@1.310v, Appears to be stable. (4501.2Mhz) Edit: Started OCCT and BSOD'd after 5 minutes.. Ran Prime 95 fine for 20 minutes.

44x102Mhz@1.310v. I'm going to see if this will survive a stress test overnight.

By "appears to be stable" I mean, in the amount of time I've had to try it out (only about 30) everything has been working.

As far as Temps/Cooling go, I'm using the Zalman LQ320 closed loop cooler, in the Antec 1200v3 Case. The highest temp I've seen so far, at max load is 76C.

I more than likely won't go any higher with it, I'm perfectly happy with 4.5Ghz.

I'm going to stress test it overnight at some point, and if I find this to be unstable, I'll update the thread.

Edit: I figured it would be obvious, but I'll go ahead and specify, I'm also using the 4930K and the Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

Hey just found your results on Google and thought I'd share mine since I used yours as a good starting point.

I tried:

44x100Mhz@1.300v and had the same results you did, appears to be stable.

44x101Mhz@1.30v appears stable as well.

44x102.3Mhz@1.30v, Blue screens.

44x102.3Mhz@1.305v, Windows Locks up, but doesn't blue screen.

44x102.3Mhz@1.310v, Appears to be stable. (4501.2Mhz)

By "appears to be stable" I mean, in the amount of time I've had to try it out (only about 30) everything has been working.

As far as Temps/Cooling go, I'm using the Zalman LQ320 closed loop cooler, in the Antec 1200v3 Case. The highest temp I've seen so far, at max load is 76C.

I more than likely won't go any higher with it, I'm perfectly happy with 4.5Ghz.

I'm going to stress test it overnight at some point, and if I find this to be unstable, I'll update the thread.

Edit: I figured it would be obvious, but I'll go ahead and specify, I'm also using the 4930K and the Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

Could you try 45x100 at 1.310 volts and see if you are stable?

Yea, I can give it a shot. The 44x102.3Mhz@1.310v gave me a BSOD after awhile, so I took it down to 102Mhz. I'm going to try that tonight, I'll post how it goes.

DId you use the usb tool to flash the bios for ivy bridge e ?

My motherboard didn't come with the latest BIOS and using the USB flash tool and the BIOS image from ASUS solved the problem. Before I flashed it, it would turn on and the CPU Q LED would just stay red.

Looks like the two most recent ones I've tried aren't stable.

45x100Mhz@1.310v - BSOD.

44x102Mhz@1.310v - Didn't BSOD, but at some point through the night occt stopped, "error detected".

So far though, seems 44x100Mhz is as high as I can get, unless anyone has some suggestions to try something else.

My motherboard didn't come with the latest BIOS and using the USB flash tool and the BIOS image from ASUS solved the problem. Before I flashed it, it would turn on and the CPU Q LED would just stay red.

Looks like the two most recent ones I've tried aren't stable.

45x100Mhz@1.310v - BSOD.

44x102Mhz@1.310v - Didn't BSOD, but at some point through the night occt stopped, "error detected".

So far though, seems 44x100Mhz is as high as I can get, unless anyone has some suggestions to try something else.

That's a shame then...

I'm testing right now too.  (all with LLC set to auto)

45 x 100Mhz @ 1.315v - stable - max temps - 62C on hottest core

45 x 100Mhz @ 1.310v - stable - max temps - 60C on hottest core

45 x 100.2Mhz @ 1.315v - stable

45 x 100.2Mhz @ 1.310v - stable

And I'm also attempting to up the baseclock a little bit more to something around 100.5ish.

Just got my new 4930K installed into my RIVE this afternoon and have been playing with the OC all day.  So far it looks like 4.7GHz @ 1.48V is the best I can do.  I tried 4.8GHz but instant BSOD at 1.5V and don't really want to exceed that just yet (Tuning Plan makes you wait 30 days before you can use it).  I guess I'm a bit disappointed because I ran my 3960X at 5GHz for nearly two years and although the 4.7GHz performance of this 4930K is impressive, its still slower and I've lost a lot of performance in the benches.  Anybody having any luck with changing the BCLK straps?  That's about all I have left to try...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res