Cheap PCs Disappearing! Long live the iPad Pro!

Source

In 2008, netbooks sparked a PC-buying frenzy as hundreds of low-power laptops were available for as little as $150. But those days are long gone, and low-cost PCs—particularly with Windows—are becoming scarce.

PC prices in the U.S. went up last year, and currency fluctuations affected prices in many countries. But prices won’t influence overall PC shipments like they have in the past, and quality now matters more to PC buyers, Kitagawa said.

Most people are turning to phones and tablets instead of low-end PCs. 

Not most people but the numbers are increasing. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I really cannot understand how can somebody think that some 4" cell phone is better than some glorious i7 27" desktop with mechanical keyboard.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

I had one of those asus eee pc's when I was little, my first ever computer.

It sucked.

Yes... A 2016 iPad is replacing $150 dollar "low-end" computers. 

Are you retarded? Of course mobile phones and tablets are replacing these ancient fucking computers.

By today's standard of a "low-end" computer would be more around the price of a console, and you don't see people playing games that they would on console, on a phone or tablet. Useless documentary. 

How do you make the jump from sub $200 PC to an about $800+ tablet? I feel I am missing something. The point about basic computers is right but the people who where buying those netbooks are more likely using a kindle fire or other cheaper tablet not a larger one with active pen input.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

'Long live the Ipad Pro!'

Did you even read your own article? Because that's not what they're saying.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

It's funny because it's true, but very confusing - the computers that iPads are replacing are the crappy ones that cost a quarter as much as the iPad.  Maybe if they paid the same amount for the compute that they did for the ipad they would stick with the PC

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

why cant they all buy crappy amd laptops and give the company some money to fund the war that we all know is much more important than the console peasents, nvidia vs amd showdown is so much more important

Hmmmm....

The only way i can see the "Tablets/phones are replacing desktops/laptops" is in the creative sector, more specifically the artists who do a lot of hand drawing.

It's impressive what you can do on a phone with a stylus, something you can really do on a laptop or desktop, yes there are drawing displays, but those cost a lot and are anything but mobile.

PCs will always be here, but i think for a artist a Note 4, Ipad Pro, Cintiq Companion, or Surface Pro is a great option. 

Now, if it's anything else more demanding than that... Ehhh, it's going to take a while for the mobile systems to catch up, mind you when they do the modern systems at them time will be eons better than the ones we have right now.

EDIT: OP, please edit your post so it's compliant with the CoC. Also "Long live the Ipad Pro" No, not what the article is saying anyways.

The article is saying that people don't need a computer to do basic stuff, you can do that on a tablet or phone now.

It's funny because it's true, but very confusing - the computers that iPads are replacing are the crappy ones that cost a quarter as much as the iPad.  Maybe if they paid the same amount for the compute that they did for the ipad they would stick with the PC

I'm not sure that is true. even the poorer skinned android devices are generally easier too use for web browsing and light email than a basic computer. Generally they have better battery and are more convenient ,they are just all around better suited for light usage than a pc. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

I'm not sure that is true. even the poorer skinned android devices are generally easier too use for web browsing and light email than a basic computer. Generally they have better battery and are more convenient ,they are just all around better suited for light usage than a pc. 

As someone with an android device (shield tablet, so no slouch), I could not disagree more strongly.  Not only is it slower, but it is the furthest thing from "easier".  Maybe for just reading static pages it's fine but for doing anything, like using this forum, it is a nightmare.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think PC sales are declining as the basic things most people use PCs for doesn't need a lot of power, so no real reason to upgrade your old machine unless it dies. They aren't necessarily being replaced with tablets, the sales of which have been pretty flat, they just aren't being replaced as frequently as they used to be.

As someone with an android device (shield tablet, so no slouch), I could not disagree more strongly.  Not only is it slower, but it is the furthest thing from "easier".  Maybe for just reading static pages it's fine but for doing anything, like using this forum, it is a nightmare.

I have used this forum from my old HP touchpad with android loaded onto it. its not super responsive but that is a device from 2011 so it's too be expected. and with a large on screen keyboard I had no problems making posts and using another tab or 2 in the background too look things up. Also I was more gearing the response too people using them for facebook and youtube/netflix and email.

Moved to General Discussion.

If you want it to be in the Tech News section you need to follow the spirit of the guideline:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

In your case:

-> Explain the news in your own words (more than half a line, do a good job)

-> Have an opinion to push a discussion

-> Participate in the thread by following it.

If you fix your post, @jaffer, I can move it back to Tech News, just let me know when you have done so (PM me).

If you need assistance for the current or future Tech News posting for making a quality post, I am always available, just PM me, and I'll be glad to help. :)

Im so sick of this mentality like "PC your end is near" "Oh no the shipments fell, doomsday for PC aproaching" or so.

Get real will you, most people screw around with facebook/social apps, browse the net or watch youtube/other stream content, WHY the fuck would you need a huge ass PC with tons of cables that cant be moved around for that?

Its not like PC's have a disease to them all of a sudden, most people dont need a PC for their digital tasks or they dont game/render/do heavy digital work, its normal that PC should step down from peoples buy list or not at all.

Furthermore the PC sales are not taking into account hardware sales, by now most people probably build new PC's by themselves so we probably have no precise data on PC +hardware sales/owners.

If i buy 2-4 graphics cards does that counts as 2-4 PC's? or 1 ? how do they know, all they could do is gather overall sales in $ and compare.

For most people it should be a no brainer to pick up a tablet over a laptop or cheap pc. There are so many quality tablets going for 200 euro or dollars that can provide the features that non tech savy people would actually have an interest in whether its basically all day battery, a compact size/portability , an easy to use os , a nice screen and decent performance. No laptops can even come close to that near that price range the closest being chromebooks most of which have subpar screens and performance and lack a wide variety of apps.For light web use, candy crush and watching movies on the go they are the perfect choice.There is no real demand for cheap pcs like netbooks any more and hence if there is no demand products won't be supplied, the pc is not dead nor will it be it is just adjusting to what  consumers want. Its really hard to track pc sales also like deviant88 above me has said. Calm yourselves the pc is not going anywhere soon

iPad Pro don't sell. But iPads Android and Windows powered tablet do sell.

2-in-1 are also turning to be the next laptop, which many survey sites don't even consider them.

Also, I agree with bdeviant88. For many years people where buying laptop instead of desktops, because they have no cables (well, beside power), they can be closed and moved away also. Most people use computers at work to do work. At home, while some do financing related tasks, or hobbies that requires a computer (CAD, programming, etc.), or some have the ability to work from home, and hence need the required equipment to do so, or need a large screen for vision, or usually type long posts like I do in e-mails and such. This is not common. Most people just check their e-mail's, Facebook, and use other social media service, and youtube and the likes. It is their form of entertainment, they sit down, relax, and enjoy.

heck, technically speaking, if people want the best comfort. All they need is a monitor, keyboard, mouse, Continuum dock from Microsoft, and Windows 10 Mobile device with USB type-C connector. Connect the phone to the dock, and boom! You have a desktop, start menu, Edge web browser, can browse through folders, connect USB flash drives, connect a USB mic (can even be used for phone calls), listen to music, open Facebook/Twitter/wtv app (or just web surf there if you prefer). They don't need a tablet, desktop, or laptop.

I won't put a stamp of approval/"GoodBytes's recommendation" on Continuum just yet, as it is in its early days, but it is easy to see that Microsoft can pull it off. And I think, as mobile processor get more powerful, that this will be future for many people.

Their PC change never changed. It is not like they are rejecting technology. Also, keep in mind that my father uses my 2005 computer. If I put an SSD on that system, I COULD use it (ignoring programming, and gaming). It is AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Socket 939, 3GB of RAM DDR1, GeForce 610 (6600GT before, but broke). Runs Windows 7 64-bit perfectly fine with Aero and all. (Windows 8/10 not supported due to lack of CPU technology needed).

My mother computer is an old Lenovo slim tower desktop computer, which I put a GeForce 730 low profile (Intel integrated graphics refused to work under Windows 8/10, and I got it for 30-40$ on special. Also, the Intel solution only has VGA). I put an SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 120GB), changed the broken fans in the custom PSU, and case with Noctua fans, added an ASUS USB wireless-N card, and voila! The system is a Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, with 4GB of RAM DDR2. If I start the system, and use it at a general level. I would honestly could not know if I am on my gaming desktop or my mother computer. It is only slower when I install programs, extract zip files, and well, anything using the CPU.

It is a bit scary in a way to see how much little power you ACTUALLY need for more people.

The big reason for this, I believe is because, software isn't catching up to hardware advancement. (Gaming, and many office/work aimed software are, but not the "general" software, like web browser).

I have used this forum from my old HP touchpad with android loaded onto it. its not super responsive but that is a device from 2011 so it's too be expected. and with a large on screen keyboard I had no problems making posts and using another tab or 2 in the background too look things up. Also I was more gearing the response too people using them for facebook and youtube/netflix and email.

making posts, sure.  I'm talking actual use, like quoting, and then editing a quote, finding a youtube video and posting the link, uploading an image, etc.

Hell, just selecting text to make it bold or whatever is even more of a pain.  I'm just saying a computer (and my laptop is from 2011 too :D) is way more usable and quicker at things too

making posts, sure.  I'm talking actual use, like quoting, and then editing a quote, finding a youtube video and posting the link, uploading an image, etc.

Hell, just selecting text to make it bold or whatever is even more of a pain.  I'm just saying a computer (and my laptop is from 2011 too :D) is way more usable and quicker at things too

Quoting works fine but multi quote is a beast too work with on older tablets. I never attempted to upload an image from the tablet; I just default to using Imgur links. Also I never argued they where faster at doing things. Just generally easier too do them on. Especially when there is an app too use. (facebook, twitter, netflix, ect) Things like posting a build log or other detailed topics where your properly sourcing things are substantially faster on a real pc, I'm not certain I would call them casual use.

Quoting works fine but multi quote is a beast too work with on older tablets. I never attempted to upload an image from the tablet; I just default to using Imgur links. Also I never argued they where faster at doing things. Just generally easier too do them on. Especially when there is an app too use. (facebook, twitter, netflix, ect) Things like posting a build log or other detailed topics where your properly sourcing things are substantially faster on a real pc, I'm not certain I would call them casual use.

no worries, not trying to start a war :)

I just find it crazy that people are buying these expensive ipads when even a much cheaper computer will be easier to use and probably more powerful too.

At least I find it way easier.  Mouse and keyboard vs a touchscreen and software with limited interfaces?  no contest in my books :)

There's 2 core drivers from the mass consumer market that's grown significantly in the last few years, mobility is needed more and less devices are preferred.

Couple this with advance mobile product actual global availability, lower prices in reality and the trend will continue, with the mass market.

Personally I am a macbook pro (for work) and pc (for gaming) kinda guy and couldn't care less about tablets and smart phones functionality, but i'm apparently in the minority, by a huge margin.

SaaS and Apps are pushing this trend along very effectively, particularly for the small business market, which is HUGE.

Just thoughts.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Has no one noticed the rise of 200-300 dollar-ish Windows 10 laptops with Atoms and Celerons that are surprisingly thin too? If I needed a new laptop whilst on a budget, this would be one hell of an option. 

People are only turning to phones and tablets because most people are average joes. They don't game or photo/video edit the same way we do here on the forum. They don't need all the extra horsepower, not to mention that those mobile devices are easy to carry around compared to a laptop

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!