Microsoft’s Taking Over iOS and Apple Can’t Do Anything About It

Softpedia: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-s-taking-over-ios-and-apple-can-t-do-anything-about-it-499362.shtml

Opinion: It's actually kinda sad that some of those apps on the rival platforms aren't actually on their own Windows Phone 8.1 OS. Sometimes I wonder if they even care about Windows Phone, they're doing great things for the other platforms but lacking in their own.

Microsoft is still working hard to become a more important player in the mobile business, but while the company keeps struggling to get Windows 10 Mobile right and release more competitive devices, its apps are enjoying a huge success on rival platforms.

At this point, most of the apps developed by the Redmond-based software giant are already available on iOS (and many are missing from its very own Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile), and what’s more important is that they have quickly become some of the most downloaded in the entire store.

The Microsoft Office success

Another clear sign that Microsoft feels like home on iOS is the success that the Word app, part of the Office suite, is having among iPhone users.

At this point, Microsoft Word has nearly 29,500 ratings in the store, again with a maximum of five out of five stars, even though this app comes with a big catch: it requires an Office 365 subscription for editing capabilities, so the freeware version is just a document viewer.

Still ignoring Windows 10 Mobile?

Seeing Microsoft enjoying such a huge success in the Apple App Store is certainly a good thing, but when looking at its own platform, there’s definitely a gap that the company should fill in very soon.

Most of the apps that the company launched in the last few months for iPhone and iPad users are not yet available on Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile and this is one of the reasons some people decided to jump ship. Others decided to stick with Windows 10 Mobile for a little bit longer, hoping that Microsoft could at some point show a little bit more interest in its own platform.

WOW CLICKBAIT TITLE or what... 

taking over iOS?.. or just .. a couple of successful apps on the app store... if anything Apple are only benefiting from this, by taking a cut from microsoft and attracting people to iOS who rely on MS software

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

taking over iOS?.. or just .. a couple of successful apps on the app store... if anything Apple are only benefiting from this, by taking a cut from microsoft and attracting people to iOS who rely on MS software

For the news section I just take the title of the article and use it for the post, I've always done it like that.

For the news section I just take the title of the article and use it for the post, I've always done it like that.

Oh that wasnt specifically aimed at you, it was also aimed at the article in question for using that title

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I feel like it is quite normal for a software company to have good apps on all platforms.

Next up OFFICE VR!

xD

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I feel like it is quite normal for a software company to have good apps on all platforms.

Next up OFFICE VR!

xD

Nope. Office on the Xbox One is coming relatively soon (if they told the truth at Build 2015).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Softpedia: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-s-taking-over-ios-and-apple-can-t-do-anything-about-it-499362.shtml

Opinion: It's actually kinda sad that some of those apps on the rival platforms aren't actually on their own Windows Phone 8.1 OS. Sometimes I wonder if they even care about Windows Phone, they're doing great things for the other platforms but lacking in their own.

This reminds me of their new Microsoft Garage app which is only on Android.

We need exclusives for platforms otherwise nobody will buy Windows or Windows PHone :(

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This reminds me of their new Microsoft Garage app which is only on Android.

We need exclusives for platforms otherwise nobody will buy Windows or Windows PHone :(

Exactly my point. Like, right now when you download Office Mobile on any platform you can't edit unless you have an Office 365 Subscription; they should of made editing free on Windows to help entice new users. But no, even the dedicated Windows Phone/Mobile users have to pay.. what a joke.

Exactly my point. Like, right now when you download Office Mobile on any platform you can't edit unless you have an Office 365 Subscription; they should of made editing free on Windows to help entice new users. But no, even the dedicated Windows Phone/Mobile users have to pay.. what a joke.

With Windows 10 (both mobile and Desktop) they give away a free "limited" version of Office. It has way less features but it's free.

All other platforms have to have Office 365 i think.

With Windows 10 (both mobile and Desktop) they give away a free "limited" version of Office. It has way less features but it's free.

All other platforms have to have Office 365 i think.

I was literally testing out the Slow Build on my phone yesterday and when I tried to edit in Office, I couldn't without an Office 365 Subscription.

You should probably edit the title and make it much more relevant as title is pretty misleading

Nothing surprising given that Microsoft Office has reached a certain level that it'll be too hard for anyone to replace it. So the same software available in different platforms will naturally be popular and Apple on the other hand is supporting it by featuring Office apps for productivity in the App store

I was literally testing out the Slow Build on my phone yesterday and when I tried to edit in Office, I couldn't without an Office 365 Subscription.

Really? IDK I'm on the fast ring builds. I have Office 365.

Are Apple actually getting a cut?

The apps are free to download and the Office 365 subscription is paid directly to Microsoft, circumventing any App Store payment system (I assume - don't own an iDevice).

So I'd think any cut would either come from some ad revenue (it's not ad supported I'd think) or they'd have to negotiate with Microsoft to get money but can they actually do that?

In the end, it's a win-win situation for Microsoft.

It seems to be free on windows phone 8.1, which is what I have. It doesn't ask me to pay for anything, I'm able to create and edit documents in Word on my Lumia 635 phone.

Dunno about Windows 10 mobile, it's probably never going to be available for my phone, so...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It seems to be free on windows phone 8.1, which is what I have. It doesn't ask me to pay for anything, I'm able to create and edit documents in Word on my Lumia 635 phone.

Dunno about Windows 10 mobile, it's probably never going to be available for my phone, so...

Most phones running Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia Denim should be able to get the update (except some HTC Lumias). Office on Windows Phone 8.1 is free to use (making edits, creating new docs etc) but in Windows 10 Mobile you MUST have an Office 365 Subscription or Office just becomes a glorified document viewer.

Both Microsoft and Google understand that you have to respect the market leader in the mobile space. Kudos to them for not being stubborn. 

yeah, from the title it seemed like they were taking possession of the os :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yeah, from the title it seemed like they were taking possession of the os :P

yeah iOS is not the App Store :P if the title of the article was "Microsoft are taking over the app store" it wouldn't be so bad

C'mon MS just make a great Surface Phone and focus on polishing OS more for phone.

And yes also apps and everything involved about it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

many clickbait

much wow

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Nobody but fanboys wants exclusives. It is best for us consumers to have as few exclusives as possible. If Microsoft wants WP yo be successful then they should make their OS better than the competitors, not by using unfair advantages to force people over.

And today I taught I would not have to do this.

Your Post does not meet the spirit of the posting guideline which you can read here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

-> You should explain the news in your own words.

-> Don't use sensationalist title, and don't copy and paste article content.

-> Quotes should be used for support, and completeness, not to copy the article and paste it in.

Until this is fixed, I moved the thread to General Discussion. If you want back to Tech News, fix it, and PM me, so that I know and can move it back. If you need any assistance in doing good news post, or any help, like always, you can always PM me, and I would be glad to help.

Most phones running Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia Denim should be able to get the update (except some HTC Lumias). Office on Windows Phone 8.1 is free to use (making edits, creating new docs etc) but in Windows 10 Mobile you MUST have an Office 365 Subscription or Office just becomes a glorified document viewer.

I guess I won't be updating to Windows 10 mobile then. (If microsoft ever push the update to my device, which they haven't yet even though they claimed late december early january. I do have the Denim firmware)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I guess I won't be updating to Windows 10 mobile then. (If microsoft ever push the update to my device, which they haven't yet even though they claimed late december early january. I do have the Denim firmware)

I'm making the switch to Android with my next phone purchase (1-2 months). I might transfer my files from OneDrive to Google Drive so I can still edit my documents... rather than having to pay for a basic feature

Jesus. Fucking... Christ....

Microsoft and Apple are partners, not enemies.

Steve Jobs & Bill Gates were very good friends and were often helping each others business.

Stop with this Microsoft vs Apple Bullshit.