Brave new browser announced.

The Co-Founder of Mozilla, Brendan Eich, has announced a new browser based on blocking advertising content and ad tracking. Named, Brave.

Brave, which was at version 0.7 -- denoting its under-construction and fit-for-developers-and-other-strong-hearts-only status -- is for Windows and OS X on the desktop, iOS and Android on mobile. The browser does not have a final code launch date or one for a public preview. Users may sign up for notification when betas become available.

In a post to the browser's website, Eich, Brave's CEO and president, touted the new browser's model, which rests on blocking ads and all other tracking techniques used by websites to pinpoint their visitors and show them online advertisements.

What sounds really interesting, is that it still has advertisements, but instead of targeted ads based on ad tracking, the ads will be anonymous.

Eich characterized those practices, on which most for-free Web content are based, as "a primal threat" because of the privacy implications and the one-sided nature of the beast. "I contend that the threat we face is ancient and, at bottom, human," Eich wrote. "Some call it advertising, others privacy. I view it as the Principal-Agent conflict of interest woven into the fabric of the Web."

The principal-agent problem, sometimes called the "agency dilemma," pops up when one (the agent) makes decisions that affect others (the principal). Simply put, Eich's argument is that websites, by virtue of their advertising, make decisions for their users -- see ads in return for content -- that include an inherent conflict of interest: Websites make money on ads, so they are motivated to show ads at all costsBrave, argued Eich, is the answer.

"We are building a new browser and a connected private cloud service with anonymous ads," Eich said.

In effect, Brave will first scrub websites of most of their ads and all tracking, then replace those ads with its own. But the latter will be aimed not at individuals but at the anonymous aggregate of the browser's user base. If enough people gravitate to the browser, Brave will share its ad revenue with users and content publishers.

"We will target ads based on browser-side intent signals phrased in a standard vocabulary, and without a persistent user id or highly re-identifiable cookie," Eich said. "By default Brave will insert ads only in a few standard-sized spaces. We find those spaces via a cloud robot."

No user data will be recorded or stored by Brave, Eich promised.

Elsewhere, Eich said that 55% of Brave's revenue would be shared with site publishers, and 15% with users, who could then turn that money over to their favorite sites or keep it.

That actually sounds kind of crazy. Some of the advertising revenue, will be shared with the users. I'm not even sure how such a thing would be possible.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Took one 0.15s glance at their web page, didn't see google account compatibility and I'm gone. 

Chromes syncing between devices feature is the best on the planet.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Not bad.

Personally, I think most people (including myself) are planning on switching to MS edge. Just need that adblock extension!

Lol @ my post count.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Took one 0.15s glance at their web page, didn't see google account compatibility and I'm gone. 

Did you miss the "No user data will be recorded or stored by Brave" part of the story? That's the point of the browser.

It is faster than IOS Safari in loading because it does not have to load adds....

I wonder how fast it would be when it does.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Did you miss the "No user data will be recorded or stored by Brave" part of the story? That's the point of the browser.

So, like I said. I'm gone.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

True, they could at least store it securely. Unlike chrome and Firefox where you can get saved usernames and passwords in under 50 lines of Python.... (As long as they don't have LastPass and a master password key which I doubt a lot of general consumers use). 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Fucking hell, their Senior Software Engineer looks like an extremely depressed Hodor.

s2k1ZT3.png

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Pretty interesting concept, but there better be a whitelist option in that system. What it is basically doing is replacing the ads on the site with its own, which seems like it has the same effect as adblock (site gets less ad revenue?). Regardless of whether Brave is keeping my information or not, the sites you are going on are still getting your information.

So, like I said. I'm gone.

Even if you got money for using it? You could still use a password managing software (if one is available)

True, they could at least store it securely. Unlike chrome and Firefox where you can get saved usernames and passwords in under 50 lines of Python.... (As long as they don't have LastPass and a master password key which I doubt a lot of general consumers use). 

I prefer a password manager anyways.

Even if you got money for using it? You could still use a password managing software (if one is available)

Depends on the money.

Spoiler

Fucking hell, their Senior Software Engineer looks like an extremely depressed human troll.

-snip-

Looks like a neck beard to me.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Depends on the money.

15% doesn't seem like chump change. Especially when you consider that the more you use it, the more ad revenue is being generated.

The pricing model would have to be a flat rate for advertisers to even consider it, because Googles model of directed advertising is a pay-per-view deal where the right people see the right ads (usually), and to boot it doesn't cost advertisers anything if someone blocks the ad. It could be argued that if you are visiting a tech website, that you are probably the right target for tech related ads, and same goes for any category of website, but I still don't see this taking off outside of a niche market - its too ambitious imo.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Chrome is such a resource hog that's riddled with bugs. It's overrated, imo.

Chrome is such a resource hog that's riddled with bugs. It's overrated, imo.

Yep. Overrated, but when I try to use something else I start pulling my hair out. So I rate google the least frustrating out of all. 

And I have enough resources to go around.

Spoiler

Yep. Overrated, but when I try to use something else I start pulling my hair out. So I rate google the least frustrating out of all. 

And I have enough resources to go around.

And yet that changes nothing.

And yet that changes nothing.

What do you mean that changes nothing? 

I don't care if my browser uses 4gb of ram or 2gb of ram if I can't fucking use the 2gb one without being depressed.

Spoiler

Personally, I think most people (including myself) are planning on switching to MS edge. Just need that adblock extension!

I don't see a single reason to use edge at all. Enlighten me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What do you mean that changes nothing? 

I don't care if my browser uses 4gb of ram or 2gb of ram if I can't fucking use the 2gb one without being depressed.

Right, and the bugs/glitches? What about them?

This may be hard to believe but there's plenty of people out there that don't have more than 4gb's of ram. Generally, the people on LTT are a minority since we all have decent computers.

I don't see a single reason to use edge at all. Enlighten me.

Easy, It's more light weight.

What else do you want?

This may be hard to believe but there's plenty of people out there that don't have more than 4gb's of ram. Generally, the people on LTT are a minority since we all have decent computers.

I use my laptop with 4gb of ram and chrome is still the best.

Can't see the bugs really. 

Edge was completely broken when I tried it, in comparison.

One example. Netflix 720p on Edge and my Pentium N3540 4GB of RAM laptop constantly drops frames and freezes up.

On Chrome it runs just fine. 

Spoiler

Easy, It's more light weight.

What else do you want?

Uh... no it's not

https://youtu.be/AWUZDPrfOcI?t=3m59s

at all. If you want lightweight, go for firefox. Or, for that matter, Links - plenty of browsers are extremely "lightweight", but if they lack functionality for it then there's no reason to use them unless you have no choice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Name some. I've been using chrome for years on multiple PCs and never had any.

Of course that doesn't say that there aren't any, there are bound to be... So... Name some.