Do gigabyte cards overheat?

SNorman

Hello

I spoke to a friend who has owned 3 seperate 960s and had sent them all back over the course of a year because they kept overheating.

He keeps advising to get an MSI card. I am not asking people to recommend other cards or other manufactures I just want to know if anyone has any experiences with gigabyte cards overheating.

Here is the card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012G7VCGU/?tag=pcp0f-21

that is a really cheap and shit cooler 

I didn't know what to put here...

Hello

I spoke to a friend who has owned 3 seperate 960s and had sent them all back over the course of a year because they kept overheating.

He keeps advising to get an MSI card. I am not asking people to recommend other cards or other manufactures I just want to know if anyone has any experiences with gigabyte cards overheating.

Here is the card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012G7VCGU/?tag=pcp0f-21

This is kinda like asking if all Corsair cases are big, the answer will be different for every card.

It is also highly likely that your friend was doing something that caused them to overheat, such as forgetting to remove the plastic on the cooler or perhaps his case is very dirty. 

Either way, I am an EVGA fanboy, so I have never owned a Gigabyte card. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

The 960 is a very low powered card so doesn't produce much heat to dissipate anyway. That card looks to have a cooler that at least isn't shit ignoring what that guy above me said (fair amount of metal and 2 big fans). Gigabyte make and sell a lot of graphics cards. Don't you think you'd have noticed a lot more complaining if they were prone to overheating? The fact your friend had 3 overheating graphics cards from them suggests your friend is the problem not the graphics card.

Edit: that said, there is a review of that card that hints that there's an issue with the fan speed profile but it seems to be relatively uncommon and I doubt your friend was unlucky enough to get 3 graphics cards with a faulty fan speed profile.

You also can't take experience with one version of the graphics card and apply it to the entire brand. EVGA had issues with their ACX cooler on the 970. Does that mean all EVGA coolers are bad? Of course not, especially when they fix their mistakes.

i can only speak for my 970 gaming g1 and it is faaaaaaaar away from overheating @60°C. Does he actually clean the case or does he have proper airflow in it?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

the 960 is a very efficient GPU, and the gigabyte coolers work fine

if it was overheating then something else is probably the problem, such as horrible case airflow or he doesnt know how to read temps properly

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you know your friends case and cooling setup? While small cards aren't the best at cooling themselves, any part will have issues in a bad case with little airflow.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

My gtx 660 windforce never goes above 64°C ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

The only gigabyte cards that overheat are the high-end AMD cards. A really lacking cooler for the 380 and 390 series.

Other than that, they should cool themselves properly with any other cards. 

I think your friend might just be an idiot that had like bad airflow.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB